Sore nail beds

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to use for sore nail beds ? I currently wash the dogs feet down with warm salt water mixed with hibiscrub and clean out around the nails with a toothbrush and also spray around the nail beds with antiseptic spray, all this keeps and gunk building up around them but when getting run regular they still stay sore as don’t have time to heal properly, looking for something that helps speed up the healing process, any ideas ?

Have you tried wrapping the nails before working? The process is detailed in Skycat's book and involve wrapping the base of each toenail with a narrow cut strip of medical sticky plaster so it overlaps the nailbed and finishing each wrap with a tiny spot of superglue. I've never tried it myself as I've only one bitch that ever gets this problem and it seems like a lot of farting about. Can't find my copy of the book so can't describe it better. Might be worth trying on one dog if this is giving you a lot of trouble.

1 hour ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

Has anyone got any recommendations on what to use for sore nail beds ? I currently wash the dogs feet down with warm salt water mixed with hibiscrub and clean out around the nails with a toothbrush and also spray around the nail beds with antiseptic spray, all this keeps and gunk building up around them but when getting run regular they still stay sore as don’t have time to heal properly, looking for something that helps speed up the healing process, any ideas ?

worked a treat for me pal split nail pushed back quicks them with cat foot seen to suffer worse then hare footed dogs i think mate500ml Pot

5 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Have you tried wrapping the nails before working? The process is detailed in Skycat's book and involve wrapping the base of each toenail with a narrow cut strip of medical sticky plaster so it overlaps the nailbed and finishing each wrap with a tiny spot of superglue. I've never tried it myself as I've only one bitch that ever gets this problem and it seems like a lot of farting about. Can't find my copy of the book so can't describe it better. Might be worth trying on one dog if this is giving you a lot of trouble.

I’ve heard of that trick before and also got the book but like you say it’s a lot of messing about, I’d have to get up an hour earlier to mess about with all that and I’m not convinced they would stay on for long

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mC HULL said:

worked a treat for me pal split nail pushed back quicks them with cat foot seen to suffer worse then hare footed dogs i think mate500ml Pot

Might give that a try, I think it was @socks who said once before that stockholme tar was good for nail beds, is that the same stuff ? I’m sure it’s made by the same company anyway 

On 15/11/2021 at 13:47, sandymere said:

Sudocream and a  muzzle once dry after washing. Good if they  settle overnight as it seems to settle better. Some seem prone to it and it's difficult  once it starts to  erode the tissue around the base.

Cleaning with salt water absolutely, I imagine its frustrating youve a problem with decent care like that.  I also use Sudocream on cleaned feet, cheap and easily available. not sure its going to help if there is an infection in there but its great at preventing infection.  If you dont muzzle then sit with the dog as the love the stuff ?. Same with ferrets, it works well on small wounds to keep crap out but they also delight in licking it off

• Like 1