Working dogs in Spain ??

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all,  I don’t come on here as often as I used to but thought I’d drop on and share some images from my current trip to Spain.  I am out here hunting and photographing various working do

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pac

Home today, unfortunately didn’t get my final day Rehala as it was cancelled due to rain. Instead visited the kennels of the Rehala president to see and discuss his dogs. we met on the Friday for

Posted Images

It'd be really interesting if you could explain the format of the day/hunt a bit more. Is it a free for all with dogs and Guns accounting for quarry? More like an organised series of drives? Are certain species more for the dogs and others the Guns? Are there long hunts or is it more bushing with short hot chases/courses? Do different dogs have different jobs or are they all at everything?

You might not have learnt that much in a day but I'll ask anyway. :laugh:

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

It'd be really interesting if you could explain the format of the day/hunt a bit more. Is it a free for all with dogs and Guns accounting for quarry? More like an organised series of drives? Are certain species more for the dogs and others the Guns? Are there long hunts or is it more bushing with short hot chases/courses? Do different dogs have different jobs or are they all at everything?

You might not have learnt that much in a day but I'll ask anyway. :laugh:

So there was around 25 Rehala present (packs) each comprising of around 12 collar (couple). At the start of the day you all meet up and the hunt organiser comes and gives you your starting points. The outright goal is to drive to the guns who shoot trophy boar, bucks and stags etc. However a lot of boar don’t flush and a lot of deer crash etc. These are fair game for the dogs.  The hillside we was on had four Rehala who made our way up in turn, Rehala one released and headed to top of hill, followed by Rehala two who headed 3/4 way up, Rehala three 1/2 way up and Rehala one stays just a quarter of the way up and then you progress along the hillside pushing quarry, the aim being that they cannot double back as you have packs right down the hill. 
we started around 10am and finished at 1600 walking the hillside all day. The dogs seem to have worked out what they can and can’t catch so they push the deer but put the effort in on the boar, if the deer crash the dogs are close enough to capitalise. 
I think all the dogs are big enough to be capable and there were no bayers but we had strong dogs specifically for dealing with boar.

• Like 6

Thanks for the explanation. So potentially 600 dogs on a hunt!!!?

Curious that they use an anticoagulant. You’d think they’d want the blood to clot to stop bleeding and bruising. Do these sorts of wounds have a risk of blood clots forming and killing the dog or something?

Just now, Born Hunter said:

Thanks for the explanation. So potentially 600 dogs on a hunt!!!?

Curious that they use an anticoagulant. You’d think they’d want the blood to clot to stop bleeding and bruising. Do these sorts of wounds have a risk of blood clots forming and killing the dog or something?

To be honest I didn’t ask, I did ask “to stop the blood clotting?” And he said yes but I’d didn’t press further. 

yes potentially, very big farms though. I didn’t see a car where I thought “ah he’s only got a couple” everyone seemed to have a full trailer

• Like 1