Working dogs in Spain ??

Just now, Parabuteos lad said:

Actually thinking of taking an English dog over there in a couple of years and seeing if the hares are faster or their dogs are slower. Only way to find out I think 

Would be good to see, think it would be a mixed picture depending on what you took over, some would be quicker some slower depending on how much greyhound/saluki they carry, these hold their heads up.20211016_154650.jpg.d4a878f10e64d69b5cd80849699e9af8.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all,  I don’t come on here as often as I used to but thought I’d drop on and share some images from my current trip to Spain.  I am out here hunting and photographing various working do

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pac

Home today, unfortunately didn’t get my final day Rehala as it was cancelled due to rain. Instead visited the kennels of the Rehala president to see and discuss his dogs. we met on the Friday for

Posted Images

So I came back, couldn’t stay away! Saturday and Sunday I hunted boar with Podenco Paternino, I was offered the chance to dispatch a boar and ended up with two. I think they wanted to see if I was an anti as the president of the Assosciation said afterward he was not sure if I would do it. I relished the chance, first boar the Rehalero held by the legs whilst I dispatched and then the second was in the middle of gorse and there was no room for two of us so I held it by leg with one hand and dispatched with the other. They were shocked to hear that they were my first boar and so I was “baptised” (blooded) afterwards. The Alano Espanyol is a special breed of dog and definitely my favourite breed to have worked now, I have bought myself a pair of dispatch knives and I am seriously considering the move over here. Saturday I am attending the final of the galgo championship, their Waterloo cup.

6E38B529-D856-4A21-9325-77D8083120AF.jpeg

7250E22A-4D0B-484A-9DDC-CAD7753BDBA8.jpeg

D6D249B4-C2EE-48CE-9D77-16033F3F486A.jpeg

C5C2A564-8E50-4022-96D2-63B0B875D101.jpeg

710CD1C3-5751-4D77-8833-438BC0A91B4E.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
52 minutes ago, Parabuteos lad said:

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pace when they sight quarry and are quick enough to make the boar bay up, they stand off until the Alano’s arrive and then get stuck in. The alanos stay head end of the boar and DO NOT LET GO at all, brilliant dogs. Being in a gorse bush with a boar could be dicey but these dogs know their job and there wasn’t a single ropey moment.

the Rehalero (master of hounds) has done it all his life and when he found out it was my first boar he was like a kid at Christmas making suggestions for my ‘trial’. I presume they was absurd as everyone kept laughing and then saying no. It ended up being an egg, flour, boar blood all over my face and then a lock of hair removed. I said to the Rehalero that I was starting to dislike him (joking) and he said I should be very grateful he was not in charge of my baptism. If I would have refused to take part I would have been tied to a tree and god knows what else done to me, they didn’t tell me that until after I took part though ?

pics of my two new knives which I intend to use out here and France next season. 

C67FF13C-42E1-4ABA-99BA-9F3658423885.jpeg

C8ABD72F-692E-4D40-AEB3-8735ECBCBFBA.jpeg

BE08D0A9-9482-40A4-94AD-D42066C240ED.jpeg

Those are baby swords lol......keep us informed on your hunting,...one of my kelpie x ended up in Spain,don't know how it got on .....very interesting reading

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Parabuteos lad said:

So I came back, couldn’t stay away! Saturday and Sunday I hunted boar with Podenco Paternino, I was offered the chance to dispatch a boar and ended up with two. I think they wanted to see if I was an anti as the president of the Assosciation said afterward he was not sure if I would do it. I relished the chance, first boar the Rehalero held by the legs whilst I dispatched and then the second was in the middle of gorse and there was no room for two of us so I held it by leg with one hand and dispatched with the other. They were shocked to hear that they were my first boar and so I was “baptised” (blooded) afterwards. The Alano Espanyol is a special breed of dog and definitely my favourite breed to have worked now, I have bought myself a pair of dispatch knives and I am seriously considering the move over here. Saturday I am attending the final of the galgo championship, their Waterloo cup.

6E38B529-D856-4A21-9325-77D8083120AF.jpeg

7250E22A-4D0B-484A-9DDC-CAD7753BDBA8.jpeg

D6D249B4-C2EE-48CE-9D77-16033F3F486A.jpeg

C5C2A564-8E50-4022-96D2-63B0B875D101.jpeg

710CD1C3-5751-4D77-8833-438BC0A91B4E.jpeg

Looks, and sounds brilliant.  ?

Thanks all, tomorrow I’m hunting hares with saluki’s and falcons. Spains hare population has been ravaged by the rhv2 disease or whatever it’s called and mixy (Granada hare can catch mixy). Because of this I’m expecting tomorrow to be difficult and I think we’re hunting the falcon in olive groves which is not normal falcon flying ground. I’m supposed to be doing the same Sunday but that all depends on how we manage tomorrow.

Saturday I’m at the galgo final, feel like I should have went to the quarters or semis instead as only two dogs will be running but the timing wasn’t right for the other days unfortunately so making do.

last night I have been staying in the hunting capital of Spain, Andujar. Will post some pics once they’re off the camera.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Yes ,I think that's him,you know him ?if yes ,I'd like to know how his Kelpie X turned out

I got it out with some Podenco Xarnego on my last trip rabbiting. He hasn’t had a chance to do as much as he liked but it’s a smart thing and I think it will click if he keeps getting out with the rehalas. He’s only just found a rehala pack to join after my last visit to spain

BDB9684B-C95F-4B9F-98EE-EB8BDFDED6E7.jpeg

4E97AFCC-D174-4798-BEC3-1AF2BD1AA469.jpeg

2096C8C1-F199-4675-9483-240BE2CAD364.jpeg

79291D81-5BCC-49CC-BED4-B1B1D34EAA39.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1