Working dogs in Spain ??

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Morning all,  I don’t come on here as often as I used to but thought I’d drop on and share some images from my current trip to Spain.  I am out here hunting and photographing various working do

The Podenco Paternino work more like a hound than the rehala dogs on my last trip. Instead of meandering along at pace pushing quarry these find scent and work the scent in a line etc. pick up the pac

Home today, unfortunately didn’t get my final day Rehala as it was cancelled due to rain. Instead visited the kennels of the Rehala president to see and discuss his dogs. we met on the Friday for

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Tyla said:

How did you end up doing that?? That's a trip of a life time without even having to go too far. Brilliant!

If you can get an invite to hunt in this country with someone you have not met before then doing the same in another country is just as easy. They’re just dog men who like hunting dogs too. I had about 50 invites in place before heading over here but won’t be able to fit them all in, all manner of hunting. Been to France digging and Utah mountain lion hunting twice too by doing the same thing.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, Parabuteos lad said:

If you can get an invite to hunt in this country with someone you have not met before then doing the same in another country is just as easy. They’re just dog men who like hunting dogs too. I had about 50 invites in place before heading over here but won’t be able to fit them all in, all manner of hunting. Been to France digging and Utah mountain lion hunting twice too by doing the same thing.

I've done the same in NZ a couple of times and been on a hunting trip, not as successful as yours, to Spain as well. Its a great way to meet people and see different kinds of hunting. I'm shit at languages though so never tried Europe on my own

9 hours ago, Tyla said:

I've done the same in NZ a couple of times and been on a hunting trip, not as successful as yours, to Spain as well. Its a great way to meet people and see different kinds of hunting. I'm shit at languages though so never tried Europe on my own

I speak very very little spanish. Just hello, rabbit, boar, fallow, red deer etc. Google translates my best mate

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just an update, not had much chance to edit and upload any photos yet as I literally haven’t stopped. Wednesday I hunted podenco xarnego valenciano in the actual valencian orange groves which was nice, we had 4 rabbits and one was released. 

Yesterday I hunted Rehala again and we had around 50 reds and 30 boar with both dogs and guns, great day.

this evening I am meeting with and having a meal with the president of the Rehala association, think he wants to understand my intentions, suss me out type thing.

tomorrow I hunt Rehala with him for the first time, it was tough saying goodbye to the other rehaleros who had treated me so well but I’ll be sure to sing their praises to the president of their sport. Will get some images up as soon as I can.

• Like 11
44 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Anyone else been wondering what one of those paternino? Be like crossed with a uk coursing dog  ?

Couple more images of the Paternino, I have been gifted a book on the history, standards etc for the breed but it’s in Spanish ? 

C5A0B13C-5E19-435D-9822-8565FE1A57FB.jpeg

019682FC-E098-44F9-9DAD-EA71E88B515A.jpeg

FB7223C8-07D7-48FF-92A0-57776C6A2718.jpeg

• Like 7

Just found this, have commented on FB, today re the Sherry terrier, great pictures. Hopefully you'll bring back a Galgo next trip, make it a male we need some studs over here.

Ps anyone got 700e planning a trip to spain looking for a pup bred in the purple.

May be an image of animal, outdoors and text that says "CHABOLO MACARENA EL CHABOLO CFP ANSELMO AYLLÃN ZAGALA TRIKI PASTORA TRIKI CHEPAE CALVETE FEG FUGITIVOEL CHABOLO FANDINO TRIKI FARUO PELUJAL ROMERA ROMERA BARTOLO ÁNCHEZ CHAPAPOTE CHAPAPOTE"

Edited by sandymere
4 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Just found this, have commented on FB, today re the Sherry terrier, great pictures. Hopefully you'll bring back a Galgo next trip, make it a male we need some studs over here.

Ps anyone got 700e planning a trip to spain looking for a pup bred in the purple.

May be an image of animal, outdoors and text that says "CHABOLO MACARENA EL CHABOLO CFP ANSELMO AYLLÃN ZAGALA TRIKI PASTORA TRIKI CHEPAE CALVETE FEG FUGITIVOEL CHABOLO FANDINO TRIKI FARUO PELUJAL ROMERA ROMERA BARTOLO ÁNCHEZ CHAPAPOTE CHAPAPOTE"

Actually thinking of taking an English dog over there in a couple of years and seeing if the hares are faster or their dogs are slower. Only way to find out I think 

• Like 1