Knife

5.8" Mora 748

That blade length is very useful compared to the standard 4" ones and the steel is as good as anything custom realistically.

Unbeatable for £18.

WWW.BUSHWEAR.CO.UK

It has an extra long blade and a patterned high-friction grip. The handle is ergonomically designed, which faciltates work and prevents work-related and...

• Like 3

I have a lovely custom knife which I should use but usually forget to take it out the truck. Mostly I take them back to the larder and gralloch with kit thats there. If I'm doing them in the field it's usually with a spyderco folder because it's always in my pocket but if the trucks close enough I'll use the posh knife

• Like 1

The orange one is a Stainless Alpina, £6 from my local gunshop .The green one is a  heavy duty Carbon Hultafors Craftsman's Knife available for between a fiver and a tenner from tool suppliers and easy to keep sharp  . 20211115_170545.jpg.6605b9eae42fcf44e64e214c8e7aa124.jpg 

The bottom one is a Hele Viking blade with  homemade holly and bone handle ; my favourite but the other two are more in keeping with hygene regs due  to their pladtic handles.

On 10/11/2021 at 05:43, Flacko said:

What knife do you recommend for sorting your deer out in the field 

You are going to get a few different answers.  The truth is I've tried a lot over the years and probably still looking for the ideal one, (but a couple of different ones come in handy), whatever...KEEP IS SHARP, VERY SHARP and you will not go far wrong!!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
On 15/11/2021 at 18:20, comanche said:

The orange one is a Stainless Alpina, £6 from my local gunshop .The green one is a  heavy duty Carbon Hultafors Craftsman's Knife available for between a fiver and a tenner from tool suppliers and easy to keep sharp  . 20211115_170545.jpg.6605b9eae42fcf44e64e214c8e7aa124.jpg 

The bottom one is a Hele Viking blade with  homemade holly and bone handle ; my favourite but the other two are more in keeping with hygene regs due  to their pladtic handles.

Come on Kev. You've been on here long enough to know that nobody is going to pay £6 for a knife when thry can pay £150 for one that does exactly the same job. 

• Haha 3

I hear the argument for a £6 knife over a more expensive/ custom counterpart. They do the same job , they cut , what more do you want ? For what it’s worth, here is my opinion . I have had every knife on the market and use knives every day working as a gamekeeper and deer manager . The knife that I use on all my deer now was made by THL member Riohog. It is of simple design with an orange handle . I keep it razor sharp ( you could literally shave with it ) . It’s not a pride of ownership thing as really it’s nothing to look at , it’s pure functionality , it’s all about the quality of the steel and how it stays sharp even when it hits bone . I can probably do five or six fallow between giving it a pass on my honing wheel . And I can split the rib cage right up to the neck and then the neck up to the head in one cut . I’ve used mora knives and the like and they are ok but they are not as good . 

EB447C32-90E5-4A39-A33C-5D622BCCF5C5.jpeg

57A676A1-91D0-4111-852A-C96C95539930.jpeg

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 11:21, shovel leaner said:

I hear the argument for a £6 knife over a more expensive/ custom counterpart. They do the same job , they cut , what more do you want ? For what it’s worth, here is my opinion . I have had every knife on the market and use knives every day working as a gamekeeper and deer manager . The knife that I use on all my deer now was made by THL member Riohog. It is of simple design with an orange handle . I keep it razor sharp ( you could literally shave with it ) . It’s not a pride of ownership thing as really it’s nothing to look at , it’s pure functionality , it’s all about the quality of the steel and how it stays sharp even when it hits bone . I can probably do five or six fallow between giving it a pass on my honing wheel . And I can split the rib cage right up to the neck and then the neck up to the head in one cut . I’ve used mora knives and the like and they are ok but they are not as good . 

EB447C32-90E5-4A39-A33C-5D622BCCF5C5.jpeg

57A676A1-91D0-4111-852A-C96C95539930.jpeg

i have the same knife as do a few of the lads i know, never herd a bad thing said about these knives,