David Platts deerhound documentary

22 hours ago, Whispering Whiskey 66 said:

Each to there own isn't, I just liked some of his enthusiasm and how he’s got to his 12th generation of breeding and wants to continue his line until his 25th. Weather he coincides or weather he don’t. I just liked his passion for his dogs  ?

Im not knocking him, He's a nice bloke and go out his way to help if he can and me cousin runs two of his type ,just think trying to kc a lurcher not the way to go and I dout it will happen but like you say he definitely dedicated to his type .

• Like 2

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the Deerhound hybrids....? I miss them.....?  

Deerhound hybrids were all the rage in the 1980's,...we all had some fun...?  

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Just for the record, he's not trying to get his dogs recognised by the KC. I've watched the film and he doesn't state that. 

He says he's noticed that the size comes down when he crossed two deer/greys together. Sure enough, the adults he has on the film are smaller and lighter than a first cross.They are definitely different to look at. 

He doesn't make clear how he brings new blood into his strain. Continually crossing his dogs to each other without knowing in detail how individual dogs performed in the field was a bit of an omission, for me, at any rate.

He states that he's used the best of grey and deer bloodlines to create his "English Deerhound". This is disputed by individuals on this site.

The dogs he shows on the film are very pleasing to the eye and obviously have a lovely, calm temperament.

Col David hancock wrote a article saying they are looking to get the English deerhound bred by platts kc reg but it will be a long rd but they deserve to be recognised. I wasn't knocking the dogs as family members run the type and happy ,just think a lurcher should be bred for work 

Google dave platts deerhound and you find the article .

8 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Col David hancock wrote a article saying they are looking to get the English deerhound bred by platts kc reg but it will be a long rd but they deserve to be recognised. I wasn't knocking the dogs as family members run the type and happy ,just think a lurcher should be bred for work 

Google dave platts deerhound and you find the article .

Yes I've googled the article and Hancock does suggest KC recognition. However, in the documentary, Dave Platts himself  does not suggest it. Jackie Sykes ( secretary)  and Dave Sleight do not mention  it either. They do talk about English Deerhound recognition but not via the KC route.

It's all hot air anyway...they are deerhound lurchers.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 3
5 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Yes I've googled the article and Hancock does suggest KC recognition. However, in the documentary, Dave Platts himself  does not suggest it. Jackie Sykes ( secretary)  and Dave Sleight do not mention  it either. They do talk about English Deerhound recognition but not via the KC route.

It's all hot air anyway...they are deerhound lurchers.

I not watched the video but I've read articles over last few yrs about trying to get them registered as a breed and not a lurcher and let's face it a deerhound x greyhound x deerhound greyhound is a lurcher ,well it is to me .

12 hours ago, mush said:

The deerhound breed already has had greyhound added to it.

An it’s needing a lot more than greyhound blood ..... guy walks one next to me saw a roe cross a track 40 yards in front of it and the big dog never moved watched it run across an open feild..... no another guy up here got a few of them he had a handy bitch but the rest you wouldn’t give toffee for there needing a bit of terrier or bull blood wake em up a bit 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

An it’s needing a lot more than greyhound blood ..... guy walks one next to me saw a roe cross a track 40 yards in front of it and the big dog never moved watched it run across an open feild..... no another guy up here got a few of them he had a handy bitch but the rest you wouldn’t give toffee for there needing a bit of terrier or bull blood wake em up a bit 

I honestly don't think it would do them any harm tbh some thing like a 3quarter greyhound Wheaton imho would have a good affect on them.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Here you go lads: a certificate of authenticity with every English Deerhound pup from Dave Platts. (Ad is nothing to do with me.)

WWW.PRELOVED.CO.UK

Deerhound 17 months old great with children sleeps out side selling for a friend he is very fast very layed back my friend hasn't got time for him due to working

Edited by jukel123
  • Haha 1

?Anything that improves the lot, of the Pedigree Scottish Deerhound, has got to be a plus factor.

Whatever the motives, the end result is what really matters...

As for working these beautiful canines, in todays difficult situation,.. well, that is entirely another matter altogether?

Many years ago, I ceased wandering around the countryside, with such an obvious lethal tool, at my side,...the animals were truly beautiful and could handle, that job,.. but, they just stood out like a sore thumb,.. and the " Just taking the dog for a wee walk Gov"  excuse, sounded sillier and sillier, every time we were challenged...? 

Anyway, I wish anyone the best of luck with whatever type of hunting pal, they choose to field...

All the best, OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

?Anything that improves the lot, of the Pedigree Scottish Deerhound, has got to be a plus factor.

Whatever the motives, the end result is what really matters...

As for working these beautiful canines, in todays difficult situation,.. well, that is entirely another matter altogether?

Many years ago, I ceased wandering around the countryside, with such an obvious lethal tool, at my side,...the animals were truly beautiful and could handle, that job,.. but, they just stood out like a sore thumb,.. and the " Just taking the dog for a wee walk Gov"  excuse, sounded sillier and sillier, every time we were challenged...? 

Anyway, I wish anyone the best of luck with whatever type of hunting pal, they choose to field...

All the best, OldPhil?

img Scans269.jpg

They certainly throw true to type ;

Lima at 10 month;

IMG_1594.JPG.560c8d44b0d5ff33208d12111667b2f0.JPG

Nancy at 8 month.

IMG_1692.JPG.35331e58aacd42f70ab7809886a4635b.JPG

Cheers.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

Neither of my two in the pics have anything to do with Platt.

Both are first cross deerhound-Greyhound ?

Cheers.

Ive heard all this ''recreation '' talk before and ''breeding my own strain'' and its usually a farce.