David Platts deerhound documentary

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the Deerhound hybrids....? I miss them.....?  

Deerhound hybrids were all the rage in the 1980's,...we all had some fun...?  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Whispering Whiskey 66 said:

Not so much hunting just loads of interesting facts and information. And how he recreated a dying breed. Was a very good watch. 

I no couple lads running dogs bred by platts and they happy with them, but It's all about getting kc reg that's why col d hancock involved, he's trying to do what Plummer couldn't. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

I no couple lads running dogs bred by platts and they happy with them, but It's all about getting kc reg that's why col d hancock involved, he's trying to do what Plummer couldn't. 

Each to there own isn't, I just liked some of his enthusiasm and how he’s got to his 12th generation of breeding and wants to continue his line until his 25th. Weather he coincides or weather he don’t. I just liked his passion for his dogs  ?

• Like 1

I personally don’t think nothing will come of these deerhounds all your get is people that like them for novelty reasons trying there luck to run one but by 16 generations in they should be producing consistent hard well put together dogs that are able to work efficiently on anything the uk can offer. Dp would be better off sticking his best worker deerhound to a proper working line bred bull cross as a outcross to produce deerhound type hunting dogs rather than chasing kc registration or trying to get to 25th generation 

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, baker boy said:

Would rather see him use Wheaten x blood but that's just personal preference

A lot of the Wheaton Lurchers you see are bull blooded I think either added would produce better than straight deerhounds??it’d nock the breakable fanny out the deerhounds 

17 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Surely breeding the working ethics back into them first is more important than KC recognition???

Yep, plenty of people have deer/greys bred by him, up and down the country, that are happy with how their dogs perform in the field.  He must be satisfied with that.

Can't see what's to be achieved, other than monetary gain, by having them recognised by the kc.

• Like 1

Just for the record, he's not trying to get his dogs recognised by the KC. I've watched the film and he doesn't state that. 

He says he's noticed that the size comes down when he crossed two deer/greys together. Sure enough, the adults he has on the film are smaller and lighter than a first cross.They are definitely different to look at. 

He doesn't make clear how he brings new blood into his strain. Continually crossing his dogs to each other without knowing in detail how individual dogs performed in the field was a bit of an omission, for me, at any rate.

He states that he's used the best of grey and deer bloodlines to create his "English Deerhound". This is disputed by individuals on this site.

The dogs he shows on the film are very pleasing to the eye and obviously have a lovely, calm temperament.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1