David Platts deerhound documentary

I ran my 1st X saluki against my mates deerhounds years ago,and after the initial few turns they just couldn't compare,sonic was that bit faster,better on the turns but they were great stylish runners,they had a flowing style and they were all capable of catching hares even on the roughest ground,I kept one for 2 seasons but they just didn't have the ooomph at the end to get the job finished,l have to say a few dogs he had were far superior on the bigger beasts though...one dog in particular,he took big fallow bucks plenty of times

• Like 2

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love the Deerhound hybrids....? I miss them.....?  

Deerhound hybrids were all the rage in the 1980's,...we all had some fun...?  

Posted Images

18 hours ago, dodger said:

Iv seen a few deerhound greyhounds over the years n all had Temps to die for however all was found wanting on a good hare, I have seen a couple of deerhound Lurchers that was alot better than the 1st X. 

Most who breed first x and lurcher will say the lurcher bred deerhound the better dog ,most first x are lacking something next to a well bred lurcher to lurcher 

• Like 1
On 11/11/2021 at 07:58, jeemes said:

I dont know about first x Deerhounds but I do recogonise peddlers promoting their wares, and attempting to gain KC rec

That's what this film all about bud ,he wants to do what Plummer couldn't have his type kc reg ,but only one problem they not a breed they just a line of lurcher and no way is any lurcher going to be made kc .

2 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

That's what this film all about bud ,he wants to do what Plummer couldn't have his type kc reg ,but only one problem they not a breed they just a line of lurcher and no way is any lurcher going to be made kc .

Thank God for that Moocher and I hope it always stays that way, all you have to do is look back over the ages to see what the “pedigree” dogs used to look like before compared to the “pedigree” dogs of today, the Kennel Club have managed to ruin almost all if not all breeds of dogs they’ve ever been involved with, I can remember back in the 60’s and 70’s German Shepherds or Alsatians as they were called back then were big strong animals with straight backs, they were a joy to behold, you’d have thought Dave Platts must realise that going down the KC route will undo all what he has tried to achieve in the past, I wish him all the best with his project to recreate the English Deerhound but let’s face it, no matter how handsome or typey they are they’re still a crossbred dog, a mongrelised dog, but each to their own as they say, atb

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

Thank God for that Moocher and I hope it always stays that way, all you have to do is look back over the ages to see what the “pedigree” dogs used to look like before compared to the “pedigree” dogs of today, the Kennel Club have managed to ruin almost all if not all breeds of dogs they’ve ever been involved with, I can remember back in the 60’s and 70’s German Shepherds or Alsatians as they were called back then were big strong animals with straight backs, they were a joy to behold, you’d have thought Dave Platts must realise that going down the KC route will undo all what he has tried to achieve in the past, I wish him all the best with his project to recreate the English Deerhound but let’s face it, no matter how handsome or typey they are they’re still a crossbred dog, a mongrelised dog, but each to their own as they say, atb

What dog. KC,Pedigree or not isn't mongrelized??

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

I own a german shepherd bitch shes of the straight backed type stop bitch bred for purpose her lone comes from slovakian stuff her dad is hell of a dog people often see her and say to me shes not like the shepherds I've ever saw and I say that's because shes a proper shepherd no show shit ?

The thing is I dont buy into all these people who claim they've had dogs for this many years and there super dogs this that and the other your telling me that in that line theres never been shit il put a months wages on theres been more shite then good in that line it's just they'll never ever tell you because they just want to glorifie what they've got for there own benefit in the words of public enemy DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE ?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Nickms said:

What dog. KC,Pedigree or not isn't mongrelized??

Very true all dogs regardless of breed were mongrelised, five years ago Dave Platts was advertising his litters as Deerhound x Greyhound, now there advertised as English Deerhounds, because he’s looking for KC recognition, presumably. Like I’ve already said I wish him all the best with his project, he can do as he pleases it don’t affect me in any way, I just think he’s got a bit of a cheek calling them ED’s, gives me a chuckle anyway, atb

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Penda said:

I own a german shepherd bitch shes of the straight backed type stop bitch bred for purpose her lone comes from slovakian stuff her dad is hell of a dog people often see her and say to me shes not like the shepherds I've ever saw and I say that's because shes a proper shepherd no show shit ?

I can remember watching Crufts a few years back and there was this old gal showing a German Shepherd with a back that was that arched over it’s arse was almost touching the floor as it walked round the show ring, and it came into Crufts as a qualified show winner, it sickened me that much to see it I wrote to Crufts to complain and tell them what I thought of them and the Kennel Club, obviously they didn’t reply, bet that letter went straight in the bin, lol, atb

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Penda said:

The thing is I dont buy into all these people who claim they've had dogs for this many years and there super dogs this that and the other your telling me that in that line theres never been shit il put a months wages on theres been more shite then good in that line it's just they'll never ever tell you because they just want to glorifie what they've got for there own benefit in the words of public enemy DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE ?

Yeh good and bad in all things, people included, as long as you can keep smiling and be happy that’s all that matters, atb

35 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Very true all dogs regardless of breed were mongrelised, five years ago Dave Platts was advertising his litters as Deerhound x Greyhound, now there advertised as English Deerhounds, because he’s looking for KC recognition, presumably. Like I’ve already said I wish him all the best with his project, he can do as he pleases it don’t affect me in any way, I just think he’s got a bit of a cheek calling the ED’s, gives me a chuckle anyway, atb

Get what your saying. Could also be said that England holds larger deer than Scotland. So to bring the size of the dog down of the original Scottish breed designed to hunt them. May also not make sense. Food for thought. ?