Total bollocks or perhaps not.......................

If I am not using my beloved RWS subs, Hornady HV are my alternative ammo and at 1200fps they are not overly loud, and seem to hit with a wallop but the Stinger just seem to be a bit wild and as said, the grouping was not that great for a small target such as rabbit IMHO.  I have noticed the latest batch of RWS seem to have less wax coating on them.

Phil

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I loved it except, it's trigger was basic although it was a long time ago and now I could probably sort it.

And the double stack magazine was very unreliable but better with high velocity rounds. The dirt and unburnt powder would jam the mag follower. It needed a single or rotary stack. I often had fails to feed or cock the hammer on subsonic ammo. 

Other than that it was very accurate indeed. I shot my longest rabbit with a 22 with it and Winchester laser ammo. I won't say how far, it was a fluke really but the accuracy was there.

I often wonder what one would be like in wmr.

Thanks for that SD, I’ve also been looking at brno/cz 581 and 511, they’re dirt cheap and seem well made but I don’t know anyone whose had one.

28 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Thanks for that SD, I’ve also been looking at brno/cz 581 and 511, they’re dirt cheap and seem well made but I don’t know anyone whose had one.

Think John had one on here??

I have shot a 511. It was OK. All steel. Fed perfectly.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Dervburner said:

How did you find the 597 SD? I’m looking out for a semi auto .22, got a slot to fill?

The CZ are good in semi, so is the Anschutz.  Many years ago now I decided a semi 22 would be useful to have and after a lot of research I got one of these.

295329738_Magtech7022015aa.jpg.480b0524e649548912d78dfd6bb1160c.jpg

A Magtech 7022, it's the same gun as the Mosberg 702 (or was then) but a LOT cheaper.

1805787045_Magtech7022001a.jpg.739fd219883c818065c6371b36116f4f.jpg

Out of the box (actually no, I had already added the swivel studs), front/rear sight removal followed, I had originally intended to use the open sights as it was supplied but found my eyes needed a scope!

This really is cheap as chips and very light, I have nothing but praise for it, much more accurate than I could have ever have dreamed of and VERY reliable.  If you get a chance, check them out before committing to anything else!

I seem to remember it was about £145 brand new, it had shot up in price in the year or two before I got mine when you could get one for around £100

PS sorry for moving thread off track!!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did fancy a semi auto myself but the only one I had seen was the CZ and was advised that they needed some work before they were reliable, some company in Woombwell, Barnsley who did some kind of conversion to make them all good.  I didn't take it any further.

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Deker said:

The CZ are good in semi, so is the Anschutz.  Many years ago now I decided a semi 22 would be useful to have and after a lot of research I got one of these.

295329738_Magtech7022015aa.jpg.480b0524e649548912d78dfd6bb1160c.jpg

A Magtech 7022, it's the same gun as the Mosberg 702 (or was then) but a LOT cheaper.

1805787045_Magtech7022001a.jpg.739fd219883c818065c6371b36116f4f.jpg

Out of the box (actually no, I had already added the swivel studs), front/rear sight removal followed, I had originally intended to use the open sights as it was supplied but found my eyes needed a scope!

This really is cheap as chips and very light, I have nothing but praise for it, much more accurate than I could have ever have dreamed of and VERY reliable.  If you get a chance, check them out before committing to anything else!

I seem to remember it was about £145 brand new, it had shot up in price in the year or two before I got mine when you could get one for around £100

PS sorry for moving thread off track!!

Thanks deker, I’ll have a look. I haven’t ruled out marlins either.

4 hours ago, philpot said:

I did fancy a semi auto myself but the only one I had seen was the CZ and was advised that they needed some work before they were reliable, some company in Woombwell, Barnsley who did some kind of conversion to make them all good.  I didn't take it any further.

Phil

They use a large recoil spring and quite long. It would be easy to get the next wire thickness down spring so they cycle subs.

If someone just tries to shorten the standard spring it causes more issues. This is probably where all tales of woe stem!

• Thanks 1