Total bollocks or perhaps not.......................

This sounds to be rubbish and I have not had the chance to put it to the test but here we go.  Whilst on the phone to an old fishing/shooting pal yesterday who has been known to tell fishermans stories before now, we were talking about our .22lr and how often they were used, my pal said he rarely used his hmr nowadays as he used the .22lr with CCI stingers at approx 1600fps. I said that I do have a box of Stingers but don't really use them as they are noisy and the range doesn't increase that much or at least I didn't think the range increased that much when my pal said he shot out to over 200mts by taking off the mod,  WTF.

So the conversation went on a little while regarding this aspect and he said he would not have believed it but on one trip he had not picked up the mod (sak) so used the gun without and as nothing much around he had a session just testing holdovers and found the range available was seriously extended.

I have never heard of this although I know one rfd said he always used his .22lr without a mod as he preferred the perfomance, I didn't think much about it until now soooooo do you guys know if there is any truth in this or is it bollocks.

Phil

I wouldn’t have thought stingers would have a massive amount of drop at 200 yards, but I think it would be accuracy that would be the limiting factor at that distance. Not that I’ve tried them at that distance, in fact it must be ten years since I used any stingers. They make a mess of squirrels by .22 standards, that I remember....?

• Thanks 1

It's more a case of trajectory drop to get the bullet on target.  .22lr std vel is used for nsra target shooting at 100 mtrs outdoor.  There's plenty of energy and accuracy available.  I've shot mine on a 600 yard range.  Took a bit of trial and error looking for the dust impact down range and the bottom of the  scope crosshair was about a foot optically above the top of the butts bank .... so maybe 20..30 ft of drop ( not going to get into an argument about drop, ect) but when I  found the point I  could consistently put them in the black.  The simple way is to go out, set up a chunk of wallpaper between sticks and start at 50 paces and then walking away see what the effect is and how much lift is required.

• Like 2

Most the hypers using light bullets around 30gn really suffer coming through the sound barrier of which is usually well under 100yds. Bullets around 40gn fair better at the transition distance.

A friend of mine always had computer print outs of trajectories for his cf rifles and loads. Not one ever corresponded to his rifles trajectories.  I could not convince him that he has no way of confirming his scope is exactly parallel to the bore. Add a mod, in essence a weight on the end and you have added some mils or rads of drop!

Every centered scope I've fitted to a rifle (bar one) and then bore sighted on a distant land mark has needed an elevation adjustment.  If the scope was true to the bore it would need no adjustment ! That means there is a constant variation from rifle to rifle where the first cross over point is and the second is all other things being equal in performance of the round.

• Like 2

Then there is barrel harmonics. If the mod has the barrel in a phase of vibration so it is low when the bullet leaves and the sight adjusted to compensate but then remove the mod it may give the impression it shoots strong by deceiving the shooter by a viewed higher striking point or zero.

• Like 1

Thank you guys, trust me I am going to try and prove the validity of my pal's statement because of past 'tall stories' but I though it worth asking.  I have taken a number of hare and rabbits out to 100mt area but have no interest in pushing my RWS subs any further and if I was really wanting to get out further I would have an hmr which I do have a slot for but just not seen the need on our perms.  

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Thank you guys, trust me I am going to try and prove the validity of my pal's statement because of past 'tall stories' but I though it worth asking.  I have taken a number of hare and rabbits out to 100mt area but have no interest in pushing my RWS subs any further and if I was really wanting to get out further I would have an hmr which I do have a slot for but just not seen the need on our perms.  

Phil

Not many mice up your way then Phil ? ?

• Haha 4
19 hours ago, Dervburner said:

I wouldn’t have thought stingers would have a massive amount of drop at 200 yards, but I think it would be accuracy that would be the limiting factor at that distance. Not that I’ve tried them at that distance, in fact it must be ten years since I used any stingers. They make a mess of squirrels by .22 standards, that I remember....?

Many years since I used Stingers as well, but I seem to remember the arc was like falling off a cliff anything much above 60-80 yards, have they changed/improved?

Energy and speed retention were not exactly great either, actually general accuracy in my .22 (and many other peoples) was not impressive either, probably why I stopped using them!!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Deker said:

Many years since I used Stingers as well, but I seem to remember the arc was like falling off a cliff anything much above 60-80 yards, have they changed/improved?

Energy and speed retention were not exactly great either, actually general accuracy in my .22 (and many other peoples) was not impressive either, probably why I stopped using them!!

I only ever had one rifle shoot them reasonably well, a Remington 597 of all things!

3 hours ago, Deker said:

I don’t know if they’ve improved, probably not. Like you say deker, 60-80 yards is all I used them out to, and at that range they were flat. They were amazingly accurate in an old bsa sportsman. I don’t think many rifles like them and tend to spray them all over the place, but when they connect they hit hard at those ranges. CCI make a fragmenting version of the stinger, I’d like to try some of those, if I could source any I’d buy a box in the name of experimental science ?

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I only ever had one rifle shoot them reasonably well, a Remington 597 of all things!

How did you find the 597 SD? I’m looking out for a semi auto .22, got a slot to fill?

21 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

How did you find the 597 SD? I’m looking out for a semi auto .22, got a slot to fill?

I loved it except, it's trigger was basic although it was a long time ago and now I could probably sort it.

And the double stack magazine was very unreliable but better with high velocity rounds. The dirt and unburnt powder would jam the mag follower. It needed a single or rotary stack. I often had fails to feed or cock the hammer on subsonic ammo. 

Other than that it was very accurate indeed. I shot my longest rabbit with a 22 with it and Winchester laser ammo. I won't say how far, it was a fluke really but the accuracy was there.

I often wonder what one would be like in wmr.

• Like 1