best way to catch a pheasant

Guest BIG FRANK
Do as the armed forces do :whistling: when they see a pheasant they hover over it in a helicopter and the downdraft pin's the bird to the ground,

then some one gets out and rings the birds neck as it can't fly away.......it's the best i've seen :clapper::whistling:

Not wishing to start a fight.................................. :boxing:

But your comment seems a bit far fetched...............................actually down right stupid.

I am not short of military years of service. I have one brother who is a helicopter pilot in the Army Air Corps, and another who is a Flght Engineer (Fixed Wing) in the RAF, so I think I have the experiance to back up my following comment.

WE ALL KNOW THAT LANDINGS AND TAKE OFFS ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS TIMES FOR AN AIRCRAFT ON A FLIGHT PLAN. THERE IS NO PILOT IN THE BRITISH ARMY WHO IS GOING TO RISK HIS AIRCRAFT, HIS CREW, HIMSELF OR HIS JOB FOR A 25P PHEASANT.

Not to mention that the physics of what you mention would be near impossible. To be pinned down by a down draft, an object would first have to suffer the push factor of the down draft. As this is strong enough to blow a man (me-17st) over whilst kneeling when carrying a berghan full of ECM (25kg) would show that it is not some puffey gust of wind. A feathered creature weighing a kilo would be long Fu*cked off into the distance before the Aircraft was even close enough for the big ugly squaddie to jump out and stretch it.

How ever as you say, its the best you have seen, so it must be true.................................... :hmm:

Wishing you all the best,

Rabbiteer

PS We all know the Armed Services are still teaching the wrong methods when it comes to game catching. There are few of us who are on here who wish to learn from those with greater experiance's and we fully appreciate the support that we have been given. Comments like the above do not help improve the general publics opinion of us and how we spend their money. If you are, or have been in the services you should be trying to improve our reputation and not coming up with crazy made up stories which serve to help no one.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if this will work for anyone else or it was just a one of for this old chap,going back years ago i was given a ferret off a old chap who lived on the edge of a estate,the game keeper used to drop off all the pheasents off that were not wanted after a shoot,he said he would rather give them to the old chap than to dig a hole and bury them,any way,the old chap fed his ferret on nothing but pheasent,the old ferret eat better than him,one night the ferret got out,the old chap decided in the morning to have a walk around to see if he could find his ferret,he walked into the wood behind his place and within walking 15 yards into the wood came across a dead pheasent,it had died from a little bite to the neck,another 30 yards he came across another,then another,by the time he had walked to the end of the wood he had around 15 pheasents,he then heard a bit of a commotion and seen a pheasent flapping about on the floor,on the back of it was his ferret,he picked the ferret up and on close inspection decided to kill the pheasent as it was a little worse for wear,he thought nothing of what had happened until it happened again,so,what you could try doing is getting a ferret,feeding it nothing but pheasents and then letting it go,but i would get one of those tracking devices myself so you could know where the ferret is,the same old chap also used to catch a few pheasents using the sticky hat method,but with a difference,he would go to a clearing in a wood,would make a load of corn cakes like we would have at a kids party,lay out a table cloth,put out a few chairs and a tape recorder,so it looked like a good place to have a party to any pheasents that happened to be strolling by,then as the party would get started and the pheasents had eat al the nuts,crisps,played musical chairs they would be tired,,they would then decide to put on there party hats which would be caked in a pasty mixture ,when they put there party hats on it would stick to there feathers round there neck,with them being so full up and tired from all the party games they would decide to just sit there and play blindbirds buff.then the old chap would walk along and let his ferret go and pick up all the pheasents,3 pages so far,lol,lets see if it makes it to 4 pages,keep hunting :drink:

wife, dont ever tell me i wind them up mate after this little story :clapper: but is there any truth in it ??

sounds like it could be to me, ? we all like a party dont we ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Catching pheasants without a gun is quite easy. I used to use pepper and barley. Sprinkle the pepper and barley on a flat stone. When the pheasant comes to eat the barley the pepper makes him sneeze and he bangs his head off the stone. Presto!! dead pheasant.

On a serious note - I use chicken wire rolled into a cylinder about 3ft long and 6"-8" diameter and close off one end. Sprinkle barley or whatever around the mouth of the cylinder and inside it. Put bracken etc over the cylinder to hide it from prying eyes. Birds will not walk backwards - and there we have it!! trapped pheasant. Works everytime

Islayhawk

Edited by islayhawk
  • 2 months later...
Considering I seem to spend most of my time in the van trying NOT to kill pheasants, it would seem that a slight adjustment to that avoidance strategy could result in a good bootfull of game.

It's not my personal choice as it's too easy but if your family are hungry ............

I once had one avoid the van with it's last second vertical take off only to be hit by the roof ladder. Killed it and plucked it!

:clapper::clapper:

A lot of these 'poacher tales' books and DVDs love to romanticise the old ways of doing things.

The truth of it is though that they're pretty much all illegal now, whether they worked or not. :(