Aggressive Jill

One of my Jill's had kits 14 wekks ago kept two, rest re-homed at 9 weeks. 

Tried returning her to the big aviary I have with the rest of the ferrets but she just keeps attacking one of my other Jill's? Fine with the older Jill and my hob and  she's coming off worse as well!

These two used to be always playing before??  So now she's back in the small hutch with the older Jill just for company.

My question is has anybody had this and did the Jill eventually calm down, is it hormones and why just attack just one of the Jill's

Edited by janine

14 hours ago, janine said:

One of my Jill's had kits 14 wekks ago kept two, rest re-homed at 9 weeks. 

Tried returning her to the big aviary I have with the rest of the ferrets but she just keeps attacking one of my other Jill's? Fine with the older Jill and my hob and  she's coming off worse as well!

These two used to be always playing before??  So now she's back in the small hutch with the older Jill just for company.

My question is has anybody had this and did the Jill eventually calm down, is it hormones and why just attack just one of the Jill's

This probably isn't the answer you want. I have experienced this on a few occasions over many years and I usually give in before they do. I'd like to just have the main walk in cage and one other hutch for occasional isolation / breeding etc but because of this occasional behavour typically have 2 external cages as well. 

Where I believe something I have done helped in these scenarios it's to introduce multiple sleeping areas into walk in cage. Several Wooden boxes and sleeping bags that hang up like Christmas stockings. If you make entrances defendable I find the fighting is short lived. Unfortunately it may never quite completely go away. I had one Jill who I am confident tried to deny others bedding, dragging out straw or fleece bags ?

On 04/11/2021 at 13:09, Luckee legs said:

This probably isn't the answer you want. I have experienced this on a few occasions over many years and I usually give in before they do. I'd like to just have the main walk in cage and one other hutch for occasional isolation / breeding etc but because of this occasional behavour typically have 2 external cages as well. 

Where I believe something I have done helped in these scenarios it's to introduce multiple sleeping areas into walk in cage. Several Wooden boxes and sleeping bags that hang up like Christmas stockings. If you make entrances defendable I find the fighting is short lived. Unfortunately it may never quite completely go away. I had one Jill who I am confident tried to deny others bedding, dragging out straw or fleece bags ?

Thanks I'll try them together again, it's probably me panicking and splitting them up sooner.  I've two sleeping areas for them, so they can escape each other. 

• Like 1
On 06/11/2021 at 15:12, janine said:

Thanks I'll try them together again, it's probably me panicking and splitting them up sooner.  I've two sleeping areas for them, so they can escape each other. 

It's very noisy and not nice to see / hear so don't feel bad, as I said,  I have often given in too early and split them when it would have probably worked out. Good luck ?