Our first ever night on the lamp

First ever night on the lamp for me and my pup he’s just turned 10 month old and I’m just looking for 2 or 3 easy slips.  I’ll talk you through it if you care to read. Out the car and straight away a squatting rabbit. Dogs tugging on the slip he must of seen him. We get without 40 yards the rabbit gets up and bolts and I slip the dog. He runs straight past the rabbit and in the wrong way like he hasn’t seen it…. Ok lamp off, whistle softly and he comes straight back. I’m pleased he didn’t start hunting up so we crack on. Over a couple of fields I can’t believe how much my arms aching from constant scanning the fields with the lamp by the way. We push on. Another squatter, we creep up and same again it bolts. This time the dogs definitely seen it and race on, pups right behind him Until it goes to the near the end of the beam over a hill and we both lose sight of it and rabbit gets away. I’m convinced he should of had him but it wasn’t to be. Im losing hope but I know that pups take some getting used to on the lamp. 
Next field another squatting ‘rabbit’ with slightly longer ears than usually rabbit?. My lamp is genuinely dying at this point I’d never of slipped if I’d of known . Any way it gets up and race on 2 or 3 good bends hes right up its arse and missed a strike in long grass thru thick hedge and He got away, I called The pup and he came back  so I’ve praised him lots.  I was  proud of his effort and he looked proud of himself. He gave a great show of himself for a ten month old dog in my opinion. Any way 3 slips was more than enough and we walk back to the car I noticed on the walk back he really was watching the beam. I’m hoping the pennies dropped and he knows there’s a prize at the end of the light now but I’ll keep taking him steady and we’ll be out again possibly next week. Anyway  a quick pint in the pub, still in wait for that first kill but overall I’m really pleased. ??

0CE29E83-4D10-4FAA-B2E1-E2F5B86D0942.jpeg

E632A138-1614-467D-A1F5-CE25EEB32048.jpeg

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Samrog said:

First ever night on the lamp for me and my pup he’s just turned 10 month old and I’m just looking for 2 or 3 easy slips.  I’ll talk you through it if you care to read. Out the car and straight away a squatting rabbit. Dogs tugging on the slip he must of seen him. We get without 40 yards the rabbit gets up and bolts and I slip the dog. He runs straight past the rabbit and in the wrong way like he hasn’t seen it…. Ok lamp off, whistle softly and he comes straight back. I’m pleased he didn’t start hunting up so we crack on. Over a couple of fields I can’t believe how much my arms aching from constant scanning the fields with the lamp by the way. We push on. Another squatter, we creep up and same again it bolts. This time the dogs definitely seen it and race on, pups right behind him Until it goes to the near the end of the beam over a hill and we both lose sight of it and rabbit gets away. I’m convinced he should of had him but it wasn’t to be. Im losing hope but I know that pups take some getting used to on the lamp. 
Next field another squatting ‘rabbit’ with slightly longer ears than usually rabbit?. My lamp is genuinely dying at this point I’d never of slipped if I’d of known . Any way it gets up and race on 2 or 3 good bends hes right up its arse and missed a strike in long grass thru thick hedge and He got away, I called The pup and he came back  so I’ve praised him lots.  I was  proud of his effort and he looked proud of himself. He gave a great show of himself for a ten month old dog in my opinion. Any way 3 slips was more than enough and we walk back to the car I noticed on the walk back he really was watching the beam. I’m hoping the pennies dropped and he knows there’s a prize at the end of the light now but I’ll keep taking him steady and we’ll be out again possibly next week. Anyway  a quick pint in the pub, still in wait for that first kill but overall I’m really pleased. ??

0CE29E83-4D10-4FAA-B2E1-E2F5B86D0942.jpeg

E632A138-1614-467D-A1F5-CE25EEB32048.jpeg

keep plodding away mate once he gets started therell be no stopping you?

• Thanks 1

When you see a squatter hold the beam infront of it.as in lower more towards you and use the outer edge of the beam so you can just about see the rabbit.. it will stay put a little longer so you and the dog can get closer before it decides to bolt.

Good luck on your second outing mate ?

6 hours ago, king said:

When you see a squatter hold the beam infront of it.as in lower more towards you and use the outer edge of the beam so you can just about see the rabbit.. it will stay put a little longer so you and the dog can get closer before it decides to bolt.

Is it true that you place frozen rabbits across the field just so your bull cross can make a catch.... 

10 month old and it hasn't done 3/3 on the fens yet or brought down 20 red stags in the Highlands or not doing 40/50 of them easy dale rabbits a night and teeth every second Tuesday!!!?

Nice little trip for him mate a nice couple of runs so penny drops hopefully next time you'll both get 1 and will be buzzing good luck with him pal

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

10 month old and it hasn't done 3/3 on the fens yet or brought down 20 red stags in the Highlands or not doing 40/50 of them easy dale rabbits a night and teeth every second Tuesday!!!?

Nice little trip for him mate a nice couple of runs so penny drops hopefully next time you'll both get 1 and will be buzzing good luck with him pal

Hahaha I promised myself he wouldn’t be out a day before 12 month but he’s ready enough so here we are. Thanks pal. Can’t wait.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, king said:

Will definitely try this thank you! Seemed to get a few squatters on that land so hopefully next time I can take one or two home 

3 hours ago, Samrog said:

Will definitely try this thank you! Seemed to get a few squatters on that land so hopefully next time I can take one or two home 

It's only a matter of time mate you will soon be taking some home ?