Getting my lurcher his first Rabbit

I think if it's your mainstay then best way to enter is on an ideal night dark and windy and find squatters, walking the dog as close as you can. Daytime is a very different task with hunting involved , so the dog has to find scent, hunt and catch. Ferreting I think is just a case of doing it regularly, as are all of the above really....

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly a year after posting he got his rabbit! ? I did take him a few times after I posted this but didn’t get any good opportunities then got mad busy with work.  Anyway took him weds he had two de

Dropping rabbits for dogs is a wanker move  that’s what clueless wankers do??but you can see why the running dog games nearly f****d with advice like that given out 

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive.  His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey driv

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Countryman62 said:

You’re right moocher71 it is wrong and cruel to drop rabbits, there’s no justifiable reason for it, it teaches a dog nothing, anybody dropping rabbits has no place in field sports and doesn’t deserve to keep a dog, if anybody needs to sharpen their dog up as you put it I’d say take the dog and do a bit of ratting with it, a few bites off them would sharpen it up, but imo if somebody need to sharpen a dog up that dog’s lacking the qualities needed to be a hunting dog, atb

What about dropping hares up the field for greyhounds to run they are netted and release up the field for two dogs to run as I said before each to there own 

5 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

What about dropping hares up the field for greyhounds to run they are netted and release up the field for two dogs to run as I said before each to there own 

Different scenario completely and you know it, your reply sums up this site, atb

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Different scenario completely and you know it, your reply sums up this site, atb

I use to net the hares lad for the clubs no difference what so ever this isn't a hunting site it's the new woke hunting site go till ur race track and see how many them boys give there dogs a dropper before the up coming race each to there own all the best ? 

2 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

I use to net the hares lad for the clubs no difference what so ever this isn't a hunting site it's the new woke hunting site go till ur race track and see how many them boys give there dogs a dropper before the up coming race each to there own all the best ? 

Your not helping matters George 

1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

You right iam helping things Mildred lol ? But I wouldn't tell anyone what and not what to do with there dogs 

Quite right squire neither would I but I'd gi  them my opinion on the matter 2 feck ,but remember the hills have eyes

• Like 1
On 30/10/2021 at 19:36, Houndstooth said:

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive. 

His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey drive for Rabbits and squirrels as has tried to chase a few when he's been off lead.

He's a year old now and I want to get him on the rabbits. I've bought a decent lamp but I've read it's best for him to catch a couple of day time sitters before taking him lamping.

I've never coursed before and don't know anyone who does it either.

What's the best way to get him a day time catch? I've got a few places where there's plenty about but they stick tight to the hedgerows when it's light and there's no sneaking up on them.  Will they come further out into the fields as they struggle for food during winter? And how shall I get him lamping for first time? Using the dummy at first?

Also he's a bit of a wimp so don't want him being put off in any way at the start, also slightly worried he'll catch a live rabbit and it'll shit him up haha. 

I attached a pic - he likes chilling in sawdust.

Cheers.

PXL_20210910_102428575.jpg

I always take a pup ferreting first ,some like to go lamping but I ferret then lamp and forget dropping rabbits bud as you got catch one to do that and it's wrong ,bolting rabbits soon brings a juckel on and some of the best fun you can have and if you need a ferret and few nets give me a pm and I gift them to you  

Atb 

Mooch 

• Like 1