Getting my lurcher his first Rabbit

24 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

He's talking about daytime isn't he? 

With him getting a lamp I presumed he’d be going lamping, easy to misunderstand text for sure, but I’ve not gave him bad advice if for when he does lamp, atb

he did say “and how shall I get him lamping for the first time”

Edited by Countryman62

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly a year after posting he got his rabbit! ? I did take him a few times after I posted this but didn’t get any good opportunities then got mad busy with work.  Anyway took him weds he had two de

Dropping rabbits for dogs is a wanker move  that’s what clueless wankers do??but you can see why the running dog games nearly f****d with advice like that given out 

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive.  His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey driv

Posted Images

Just now, poxon said:

Trapping an releasing is baiting ya fool so there for it’s a wanker move ?completely different using a dog to pin a bolted rabbit that’s just bolted in to a net…..or just remove the net ??‍♂️

im no rocket scientist but he’s wanting to lamp hence why he’s just bought a lamp ?so makes no difference what so ever what day time rabbits are doing if he’s expecting to run them under the cover of darkness 

my suggestion would be run them under the cover of darkness don’t be being a wanker dropping shit for dogs the human an dog will soon Lean how to operate the lamp an how the game works the dog will see an learn how they run 

Get a grip you soft twat. ?

If you want to get all menstrual about things netting rabbits isn't sporting is it? 

He's talking about daytime catching here and unless he gets a ferret or a busher it won't be easy for a pup if he can't get close to them during the daytime. 

There's numerous ways he could give the pup a few easy catches, like travelling further afield, etc. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

If you want to get all menstrual about things netting rabbits isn't sporting is it? 

He's talking about daytime catching here and unless he gets a ferret or a busher it won't be easy for a pup if he can't get close to them during the daytime. 

There's numerous ways he could give the pup a few easy catches, like travelling further afield, etc. 

Ferreting is sporting mate

Just now, Black neck said:

So them well difficult hedgehuggers will suddenly become doable once its had a dropper  may as well throw a gang sign at them 

Hedge sitters will always be difficult for any dog mate, he could just stick to catching thin air I suppose and he will sicken the pup. 

I've never needed to use a dropper but even I know that it gives the dog the experience of the run and catch. 

Like I said, he can do all that on the lamp and it will save folk crying over the unsporting actions of using a dropper. ?

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

I couldn’t care less what he does pleb147 ??‍♂️Just pointing out that dropping is baiting an a wanker move your the only twat that thinks it educates a dog. No point in asking me a question to justify your answer your trying to argue with the wrong person??

he’s talking of lamping hence why he’s bought a lamp

i don’t need education on how to catch I do perfectly fine I have no trouble bringing dogs on or training them cheers for the education young man ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why the confused look mate, netting rabbits is all about the catch mate? 

I'm not fussed if folk want to net rabbits but it ain't exactly the same as bolting them for the dogs is it? 

I just find it amusing the uproar of folk using a dropper for a pup when it's no less sporting than netting a bolted rabbit. 

Just now, Greb147 said:

Hedge sitters will always be difficult for any dog mate, he could just stick to catching thin air I suppose and he will sicken the pup. 

I've never needed to use a dropper but even I know that it gives the dog the experience of the run and catch. 

Like I said, he can do all that on the lamp and it will save folk crying over the unsporting actions of using a dropper. ?

I'm not bothered about un sportingness, I treble up in the snow in June ,just dropping never seemed 2 bring on any better unless u handcuffed them.

Just now, poxon said:

I couldn’t care less what he does pleb147 ??‍♂️Just pointing out that dropping is baiting an a wanker move your the only twat that thinks it educates a dog. No point in asking me a question to justify your answer your trying to argue with the wrong person??

he’s talking of lamping hence why he’s bought a lamp

i don’t need education on how to catch I do perfectly fine I have no trouble bringing dogs on or training them cheers for the education young man ??

You sound a tad sensitive for this game mate. ?

Chasing and catching doesn't educate a dog, you're right mate. ?

Read the post, he's talking about daytime and how he can't get close to the rabbits. 

And if you read my post again you will see I said if he wants to hunt those hedge sitters regularly during the daytime he'd be better off getting a ferret. 

2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I'm not bothered about un sportingness, I treble up in the snow in June ,just dropping never seemed 2 bring on any better unless u handcuffed them.

You don't agree that it gives the dog a bit of success and that it would help a dog with it's chase and catch? 

I can see why people think it's unsporting but you can only piss with the dick you've got.

To save a lot of heartache he would be better off bolting them with a ferret and everyone's happy. ?

1 minute ago, Greb147 said:

You don't agree that it gives the dog a bit of success and that it would help a dog with it's chase and catch? 

I can see why people think it's unsporting but you can only piss with the dick you've got.

To save a lot of heartache he would be better off bolting them with a ferret and everyone's happy. ?

I honestly don't think it does ,1 running about in circles not knowing where 2 go until even the daftest o pups eventually treads on it ,the will be no more prepared 4 a proper un than pup that ain't seen 1 before imho mf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

if the dog hasnt watched others as its growing id go down the root of wait for a windy night get inbetween the rabbit and some tight cover which theres plenty of at the minute something it might take the bunny a few go's to get in and off you go plus that way they the dog is abit overexcited it is going to wrap its self on a dyke etc 

Just now, mC HULL said:

if the dog hasnt watched others as its growing id go down the root of wait for a windy night get inbetween the rabbit and some tight cover which theres plenty of at the minute something it might take the bunny a few go's to get in and off you go plus that way they the dog is abit overexcited it is going to wrap its self on a dyke etc 

He's specifically talked about daytime catching mate not lamping. 

If they are all sitting tight in that area he will struggle without a ferret or a busher unless he travels somewhere where they are easier to catch. 

If rabbits have been run often they are not easy for any dog during the daytime.