Getting my lurcher his first Rabbit

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly a year after posting he got his rabbit! ? I did take him a few times after I posted this but didn’t get any good opportunities then got mad busy with work.  Anyway took him weds he had two de

Dropping rabbits for dogs is a wanker move  that’s what clueless wankers do??but you can see why the running dog games nearly f****d with advice like that given out 

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive.  His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey driv

Posted Images

Just now, Countryman62 said:

You read his post he does ask how to go about lamping

Yes but he specifically asks about how to catch during the daytime. 

We are arguing over bollocks. 

Let's just all agree there's better ways to bring a dog on than using droppers but if he has no over options then he risks sickening the dog. 

And like we both said that can be solved on the lamp.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Plenty people catch daytime rabbits with just a lurcher.....depends entirely on where you go.

Cheers.

virgin land daft rabbits charts anywere that is worked takes a certain dog to have constant bunnys in the bag

5 minutes ago, riohog said:

get it on the slop  , even Mc  c    dog can catch there ?

lol yours wouldnt rio you want to pop next season with that pup ill bet the hares ?

im lucky that if theres out within the field mine can find it and usually make the most even bunnys on hedgy land 

if youd a worked that saluki you would  have  known there noses are normally very good ??

2 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

lol yours wouldnt rio you want to pop next season with that pup ill bet the hares ?

im lucky that if theres out within the field mine can find it and usually make the most even bunnys on hedgy land 

if youd a worked that saluki you would  have  known there noses are normally very good ??

i knew id get a bite  from you , predictable really ,yes my sals didhave good nose  especially the black one 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I've never done it but how is it a wanker move you fool, is netting rabbits also a wanker move? 

He's just said that all the rabbits are sat tight to the edge during daytime. 

He can plod on and hope to drop on one but what if he never does. 

It's just about giving the pup a bit of success, you got ant better suggestions. 

I've never had to drop a coney for any of me juckels in nearly 40 Yr of keeping them and I think it's wrong and cruel and not the way of a true field man or any type of dog man ,yes they folk should do it to sharpen dogs up but it learns them nothing apart from its easy and in truth no day time rabbit is easy unless ferrets are pushing to nets or mixy as it .

• Like 3

You’re right moocher71 it is wrong and cruel to drop rabbits, there’s no justifiable reason for it, it teaches a dog nothing, anybody dropping rabbits has no place in field sports and doesn’t deserve to keep a dog, if anybody needs to sharpen their dog up as you put it I’d say take the dog and do a bit of ratting with it, a few bites off them would sharpen it up, but imo if somebody need to sharpen a dog up that dog’s lacking the qualities needed to be a hunting dog, atb

• Thanks 1

Hahaha it's bloody handbags at dawn.

Cheers for all the advice lads.

Just to clear up, I will mostly be taking him lamping, but was under the impression it's good to get a daytime rabbit first. Seems it's not necessary, so looks like I'll be taking him lamping one night this week to see if we can get one or two for pot... and they won't be getting dropped by me ?

• Like 6