Getting my lurcher his first Rabbit

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive. 

His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey drive for Rabbits and squirrels as has tried to chase a few when he's been off lead.

He's a year old now and I want to get him on the rabbits. I've bought a decent lamp but I've read it's best for him to catch a couple of day time sitters before taking him lamping.

I've never coursed before and don't know anyone who does it either.

What's the best way to get him a day time catch? I've got a few places where there's plenty about but they stick tight to the hedgerows when it's light and there's no sneaking up on them.  Will they come further out into the fields as they struggle for food during winter? And how shall I get him lamping for first time? Using the dummy at first?

Also he's a bit of a wimp so don't want him being put off in any way at the start, also slightly worried he'll catch a live rabbit and it'll shit him up haha. 

I attached a pic - he likes chilling in sawdust.

Cheers.

PXL_20210910_102428575.jpg

Edited by Houndstooth
  • Like 6
  • Houndstooth changed the title to Getting my lurcher his first Rabbit

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nearly a year after posting he got his rabbit! ? I did take him a few times after I posted this but didn’t get any good opportunities then got mad busy with work.  Anyway took him weds he had two de

Dropping rabbits for dogs is a wanker move  that’s what clueless wankers do??but you can see why the running dog games nearly f****d with advice like that given out 

I picked up my first lurcher last year, he's a good lad, very intelligent and responsive.  His recall is good, he will retrieve a rabbit dummy back to hand over a farm gate. He has good prey driv

Posted Images

If he’s to be a lamp dog the best rabbit is a lamped rabbit trying to catch day time stuff ain’t teaching a dog that’s to be used under darkness nothing mate. Try an get between we’re the rabbit heading before slipping or on top of em let the dog do it’s thing 

• Like 3
Just now, poxon said:

If he’s to be a lamp dog the best rabbit is a lamped rabbit trying to catch day time stuff ain’t teaching a dog that’s to be used under darkness nothing mate. Try an get between we’re the rabbit heading before slipping or on top of em let the dog do it’s thing 

Nice looking dog by the way who bred it? How’s it bred

Try and get him a clapper (sitter) on the lamp mate,just walk up nice and slowly to it preferably on top of it.Then encourage it to run so he will see it then let him do his stuff.Just keep trying that or close runs,but like said if you can get between the rabbit and we’re it’s going to run to will come right for you mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just keep at it mate, you'll eventually drop on one but if you just want something easy for him so he can get used to the chase and the catch then consider giving him a dropper, not exactly sporting but it's a guaranteed catch. 

If you're wanting to do regular daytime rabbits then I recommend a ferret or a busher to work with your dog. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

Just keep at it mate, you'll eventually drop on one but if you just want something easy for him so he can get used to the chase and the catch then consider giving him a dropper, not exactly sporting but it's a guaranteed catch. 

If you're wanting to do regular daytime rabbits then I recommend a ferret or a busher to work with your dog. 

Dropping rabbits for dogs is a wanker move  that’s what clueless wankers do??but you can see why the running dog games nearly f****d with advice like that given out 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, poxon said:

I've never done it but how is it a wanker move you fool, is netting rabbits also a wanker move? 

He's just said that all the rabbits are sat tight to the edge during daytime. 

He can plod on and hope to drop on one but what if he never does. 

It's just about giving the pup a bit of success, you got ant better suggestions. 

Edited by Greb147
9 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I've never done it but how is it a wanker move you fool, is netting rabbits also a wanker move? 

It's just about giving the pup a bit of success, you got ant better suggestions. 

It teaches nothing g ,better off learning the c walk

• Like 1

First rabbit is the important one, take your time, pick a windy night with a bit of rain to help muffle the sound of YOUR foot placements, use the wind to your advantage, by that I mean approach your intended target with the wind in your face, stick to the edge of the field you intend to lamp, a quick flick out with the beam will let you know if rabbits are about or if you can use a thermal imager or night vision even better, try to get as close to the rabbit as possible before releasing your dog, lampings about pot filling not massively long runs, the dog may not see its first rabbit till it moves even if you can clearly see it, if it squats then luck is on your side, giving the lamp a little shake may make your quarry bolt as you steadily approach it, release the dog when he sees it, you’ll probably feel his slip lead (Presume you’re using one)  tighten which can be an indication he’s seen his rabbit, then it’s all over to predator and prey, enjoy your time and make a big fuss of him if he’s successful and if he misses still fuss him, there’s always another time, atb

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Black neck said:

It teaches nothing g ,better off learning the c walk

Course it will, it will teach pick up and gives the dog an idea on how they run. 

That can be solved with lamping I suppose, again just plod on and hope to eventually drop on a rabbit during the daytime. 

1 minute ago, Countryman62 said:

First rabbit is the important one, take your time, pick a windy night with a bit of rain to help muffle the sound of YOUR foot placements, use the wind to your advantage, by that I mean approach your intended target with the wind in your face, stick to the edge of the field you intend to lamp, a quick flick out with the beam will let you know if rabbits are about or if you can use a thermal imager or night vision even better, try to get as close to the rabbit as possible before releasing your dog, lampings about pot filling not massively long runs, the dog may not see its first rabbit till it moves even if you can clearly see it, if it squats then luck is on your side, giving the lamp a little shake may make your quarry bolt as you steadily approach it, release the dog when he sees it, you’ll probably feel his slip lead (Presume you’re using one)  tighten which can be an indication he’s seen his rabbit, then it’s all over to predator and prey, enjoy your time and make a big fuss of him if he’s successful and if he misses still fuss him, there’s always another time, atb

He's talking about daytime isn't he? 

3 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Trapping an releasing is baiting ya fool so there for it’s a wanker move ?completely different using a dog to pin a bolted rabbit that’s just bolted in to a net…..or just remove the net ??‍♂️

im no rocket scientist but he’s wanting to lamp hence why he’s just bought a lamp ?so makes no difference what so ever what day time rabbits are doing if he’s expecting to run them under the cover of darkness 

my suggestion would be run them under the cover of darkness don’t be being a wanker dropping shit for dogs the human an dog will soon Lean how to operate the lamp an how the game works the dog will see an learn how they run 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

Course it will, it will teach pick up and gives the dog an idea on how they run. 

That can be solved with lamping I suppose, again just plod on and hope to eventually drop on a rabbit during the daytime. 

So them well difficult hedgehuggers will suddenly become doable once its had a dropper  may as well throw a gang sign at them 

• Like 1