Dead of winter..

There are no hiding places out on the mountains,especially in the dead of winter where temps are often well below -10c & when the winds blowing the real feel can be sub -20c quite easily,the weather can be brutal,the terrain likewise & the critters that make them mountains their homes don't just fold & submit,far from it..it's a tough old game hunting the high tops especially when the rocks,scree & everything else is covered in a layer of the white stuff be it snow or ice or even both,just being out in such conditions for several hours can take it's toll on both man and dog especially an animal with a substandard jacket,the weather can sap the life out of a dog within minutes up there..if your lucky or unlucky whichever the case may be to stumble into a critter or two in such conditions then it's almost inevitable your dog is going to succumb to exhaustion to a high level regardless of breeding..having to deal with a critter in arctic conditions up in the mountains will almost guarantee the dog's life is on a knifes edge soon afterwards,the effort needed plus the freezing temperatures make a mountain hunting dog's life a risky one to say the least..being miles away from civilization if things go wrong with a dog they can and do go wrong quickly,there's not a lot one can do but you need to make sure that you carry things with you that can save a dog's life,if a dog goes into shock up there in freezing winter conditions if you aren't prepared your dog ain't coming off those mountains alive & that's not me surmising that's 100% fact. I've had dog's on the brink of death numerous times hunting out on the mountains,it can be quite frightening as you ain't carrying an 80lb or 90lb dog far up & down mountain terrain especially for several miles but you may have to carry it to a sheltered spot out of the full force of a blizzard to tend to the dog & such..I've enjoyed hunting the fells & mountains for many a year now,I've had some great day's & plenty of bad days but every single one of them have been hard day's whether we win,lose or draw..I'd be interested to hear from others who have worked the mountains with their dog's over a period of time & how they fared in the harshest of winter conditions & what types of dog's they ran which were successful & which types just couldn't cut the mustard on the high ground especially during winter..

One of mine needing carried off the mountain on its shield after taking some serious stick on a freezing mid winter day ?

IMG_20211030_173413.jpg

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, FUJI said:

There are no hiding places out on the mountains,especially in the dead of winter where temps are often well below -10c & when the winds blowing the real feel can be sub -20c quite easily,the weather can be brutal,the terrain likewise & the critters that make them mountains their homes don't just fold & submit,far from it..it's a tough old game hunting the high tops especially when the rocks,scree & everything else is covered in a layer of the white stuff be it snow or ice or even both,just being out in such conditions for several hours can take it's toll on both man and dog especially an animal with a substandard jacket,the weather can sap the life out of a dog within minutes up there..if your lucky or unlucky whichever the case may be to stumble into a critter or two in such conditions then it's almost inevitable your dog is going to succumb to exhaustion to a high level regardless of breeding..having to deal with a critter in arctic conditions up in the mountains will almost guarantee the dog's life is on a knifes edge soon afterwards,the effort needed plus the freezing temperatures make a mountain hunting dog's life a risky one to say the least..being miles away from civilization if things go wrong with a dog they can and do go wrong quickly,there's not a lot one can do but you need to make sure that you carry things with you that can save a dog's life,if a dog goes into shock up there in freezing winter conditions if you aren't prepared your dog ain't coming off those mountains alive & that's not me surmising that's 100% fact. I've had dog's on the brink of death numerous times hunting out on the mountains,it can be quite frightening as you ain't carrying an 80lb or 90lb dog far up & down mountain terrain especially for several miles but you may have to carry it to a sheltered spot out of the full force of a blizzard to tend to the dog & such..I've enjoyed hunting the fells & mountains for many a year now,I've had some great day's & plenty of bad days but every single one of them have been hard day's whether we win,lose or draw..I'd be interested to hear from others who have worked the mountains with their dog's over a period of time & how they fared in the harshest of winter conditions & what types of dog's they ran which were successful & which types just couldn't cut the mustard on the high ground especially during winter..

One of mine needing carried off the mountain on its shield after taking some serious stick on a freezing mid winter day ?

IMG_20211030_173413.jpg

good read fuji 

ive had to carry a few and it wipes you and that wasnt up hill?

4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

good read fuji 

ive had to carry a few and it wipes you and that wasnt up hill?

I hear you matey..we've all had to carry a few over the year's that's for sure & it's never an easy task,not ever! ?

4 minutes ago, Flacko said:

That’s hard terrain to work your dogs on a regular basis your fitness levels must match your animals mate hats off to you ?ATB Flacko 

Cheers Flacko,if you heard me huffing & puffing & whining 'f###ing never again' everytime I go out on the mountains you'd probably realise the dog's are a little fitter than me these days ?

• Haha 1

Things can go wrong quickly. I haven’t seen it much with hunting but have been out with groups of people. Had dogs go cold just the same as people. I always carry a group shelter. Can get a group of people in or couple of people and a few dogs. Bit of rest in there and they soon warm up and pick themselves up. Good bit of kit. 

760DC602-66E2-44AE-B350-D4F170583370.jpeg

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Eye even way a greyhound ?hes done every munro corbit Graham and the swish Alps hes a machine at walking ???????

20211030_182437.jpg

20200524_160521.jpg

20200609_112602.jpg

Magical!! Fantastic post! Sorry I can't 'like' your post I've used my daily quota of them up today.

5 minutes ago, white van man said:

Things can go wrong quickly. I haven’t seen it much with hunting but have been out with groups of people. Had dogs go cold just the same as people. I always carry a group shelter. Can get a group of people in or couple of people and a few dogs. Bit of rest in there and they soon warm up and pick themselves up. Good bit of kit. 

760DC602-66E2-44AE-B350-D4F170583370.jpeg

Yeah,great advice bud,never thought of getting one of them bothy shelters so this is exactly the type of post I'm looking for,people to share stuff that may help not only me but others be it with ideas that you've given me,types of dog's that can hack it & those that would likely be a major cause for concern up there in the dead of winter..top post bud,thankyou!!

• Like 1

A fine coat is good for snow and a thick coat balls up I don't think there is a in-between maybe mally blood or  Husky be the answer . Look at lads in Alaska etc just a right mix no fancy beds or anything a real rich diet of fish which I thinks betters than any meat eye he's a great guy  never started walking till later years in his life he's be Napol Alps kilimancharo

Edited by Bearfoot
30 minutes ago, FUJI said:

Yeah,great advice bud,never thought of getting one of them bothy shelters so this is exactly the type of post I'm looking for,people to share stuff that may help not only me but others be it with ideas that you've given me,types of dog's that can hack it & those that would likely be a major cause for concern up there in the dead of winter..top post bud,thankyou!!

Good bit of kit. Gets you out of the weather quick. You can brew up, give first aid. Have a warm up and it takes seconds to put up or pack away. Only problem is, when it’s time to get out and carry on you don’t really want to ?. My dog has a decent coat. Almost down like. He’s saluki collie grew. My young bitch is same way bred but with a bit of bull. Her coat doesn’t suit the hills to be honest. If she’s hunting she’s fine. Once we stop she shivers like hell and I have to keep an eye on her. I don’t actively go out in bad weather (deep snow or blizzard)but you can get caught out at any time ?

Had to carry my oldest bitch off the mountain twice both with real bad injured the first was two years ago this week she more or less gutted herself so had to carry her infront of me belly up to keep it all in was horrific my daughter was a week old so my misses couldn’t come and get me thought the bitch was gone die , second tIme was this summer running her favourite Thing she stuck to early tumble and hit a rock in a river and was drowning I was dragged her out give her mouth to mouth and brung her around while I had my current pup that’s 8 weeks old in my jacket , again carried her back was all up hill and real lung buster more or less crying all the way cause I thought she was gone die again , I was pretty care free but do worry a lot these days think between them it’s been 4/5k in last two years with injuries there all insured though so had abit back 

9C6B31A9-568F-44F4-ACCE-8EC1752457A4.jpeg

7C15E251-FC66-4175-95AD-D36A94D13DE3.jpeg

66698929-AF54-4B36-8EA2-B874C0E24523.jpeg

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

If the dog's successful. Isn't carrying the beast down exhausting?

Release if possible,if not you fill your backpack & the rest feeds the vermin..there is no other alternative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1