That'll teach em.....

40 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Have done a few myself mate, find it unbelievable that all my early years in the building game keeping the cavity’s clear was a real big deal, then some bright spark came up with the ideal of pumping your cavity full of old clothing that has been shredded, after a few years the insulation gets water logged and ends up dropping down giving you horrendous damp and mould around the bottom 3/4 foot of your house, the people that came up with it should be sued and made to remove it for free, houses need an open fire or some draftie old sach windows to keep the damp out we breath out a considerable amount of moisture as does burning gas and it has to go somewhere ???

I’m not a builder but I never understood wanting to seal houses so they couldn’t breath.

I mean, I get the reasoning about heat loss and stuff but it can’t be healthy can it.

Loads of houses over here (mine included) suffer black mould problems because they all rendered over the old stone work with cement render, sealed up old chimneys and now nothing breaths.

Add a mild damp climate and it’s a nightmare.

• Like 2

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

" Right to protest " ?......what about the right to throw people into the grass verge for stopping you going about your business ! Maybe im too cynical but anybody that cant see whats going on in

Aspiring Tattoo artiste???

Posted Images

3 hours ago, greg64 said:

all new builds are insulated and a lot of old houses that do get insulated  do suffer from really bad condensation  and black mould because of it heard of people having it done and then have more problems trying to get it out 

I live on an estate that the houses are about 75 years old and about 25 years ago they had people selling cavity wall insulation with grants to help. I never took it up and glad I didn't it caused all sorts of problems damp inside and the paint fell off outside. people are now having it taken out or cladding the out side with a special air gap.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Have done a few myself mate, find it unbelievable that all my early years in the building game keeping the cavity’s clear was a real big deal, then some bright spark came up with the ideal of pumping your cavity full of old clothing that has been shredded, after a few years the insulation gets water logged and ends up dropping down giving you horrendous damp and mould around the bottom 3/4 foot of your house, the people that came up with it should be sued and made to remove it for free, houses need an open fire or some draftie old sach windows to keep the damp out we breath out a considerable amount of moisture as does burning gas and it has to go somewhere ???

Been going around , replacing loads of them old concrete sills where the re-bar inside has corroded ,splits and water is getting in to the cavity,also knocking out a few bricks then raking out soaking wet rockwool ...that insulation is a right pain in the arse for sucking water up..?DSC_1714.JPG.4992026f89d03d089aa7eb785f32182b.JPG

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, micky said:

The main problem with insulated houses is that a few years back  when Plastic double glazed windows  were fitted they had no Trickle Vents and that caused the condensation problems .

I’ve fitted trickle vents roof vents and air bricks but once the cavity is full of ringing wet cloth nothing will help newer houses have a wider cavity so they can have celotex and an air gap but old houses definitely a no no from me ??

• Like 2