Fences, walls or nothing .........

On 27/10/2021 at 19:41, Maximus Ferret said:

All dairy and beef near me with electric fences everywhere. Some dogs can't cope. A wee bit further afield is rocky mountain and forestry.

Those fences mean green fields though! Ill be down that way later ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rich dairy farm land to scrub and wide open plains

same local to me...big arable and thin hedges dykes etc..... i know up north gets mentioned alot with regards to stone walls and easy rabbits.....(rabbits being walled in )......interestingly tho

I like to show my dog’s videos of other dogs running. That’s dangerous enough for me ……

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2021 at 18:11, SheepChaser said:

I was out lamping last night, having a good few runs and it made me think. . . . . 

So I’d better say first that this isn’t a dig at anyone or me trying to say my dogs are great, thought I’d better get that clear before someone got butt hurt ......

So pretty much all of the ground I run is big arable with thin hedges about the place, woods, rough patches etc but not a fence or wall in sight. If stuff is out in the open on these big fields it is usually all just down to the quality of the dog and the quarry as to whether it ends up on the deck or not. 

However a lot of the time the quarry are near wood edges etc and a hell of a lot of slips end up going into it through the woods, sometimes the dog wins and sometimes it doesn’t.

When I go elsewhere and we are in smaller fields which are fenced or walled (especially those which are double fenced with a big thick hedge) it makes some quarry a lot easier and some I think harder .....a friend of mine once said “fences make hero’s”.

When I lived back in Wales I was running a lot of small fields (20/30 acres being a large field) with fences and although sometimes you got done by some thing getting through the fence into the hedge and needed a fast dog to turn it off, the bigger quarry would generally be pretty well screwed. This obviously makes a big different to catch rare and what dog suits.

Im just curious as  to what other members have on their ground and what they prefer to run etc etc 

My lamping is in smaller type fields where the hedge line is close so the dog must be good at turning none of this cruse ship turning alot of the rabbits caught are on the hedge line after being turned a couple times better when it's turned back out into the field though, I think it all comes down to having the right sorts for the land you hunt, like if your dogs are use to running massive open land then maybe they wouldn't fair so well in smaller fields and same with my dogs they might not fair so well at your type of land ?‍♂️

I feel this should be tested properly for science so what's the postcode? I'll get the dogs preped and ready ? 

5 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

My lamping is in smaller type fields where the hedge line is close so the dog must be good at turning none of this cruse ship turning alot of the rabbits caught are on the hedge line after being turned a couple times better when it's turned back out into the field though, I think it all comes down to having the right sorts for the land you hunt, like if your dogs are use to running massive open land then maybe they wouldn't fair so well in smaller fields and same with my dogs they might not fair so well at your type of land ?‍♂️

I feel this should be tested properly for science so what's the postcode? I'll get the dogs preped and ready ? 

You’re welcome to come visit. 

• Like 1
On 27/10/2021 at 22:03, dogmandont said:

10 acres is a big field round these parts, it's like a patchwork quilt all divided up with a mixture of hedges and ditches, barb wire is everywhere and sheep netting with double barb wire on top is getting more and more common as lowland farmers change from beef to lamb. 

Need a dog with a bit of pace that can jump and push on or you'll not get much. 

Plodders are worse than useless. 

Same around me the fence helps bounce rabbits back in to play so to speak but only if dog has a bend on them first