Fences, walls or nothing .........

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rich dairy farm land to scrub and wide open plains

same local to me...big arable and thin hedges dykes etc..... i know up north gets mentioned alot with regards to stone walls and easy rabbits.....(rabbits being walled in )......interestingly tho

I like to show my dog’s videos of other dogs running. That’s dangerous enough for me ……

Posted Images

Difficult if you hunt a lot of different ground. If you are always on the same type of ground then the dogs will soon pick it up. A lot of my ground is fenced. Some big fields and some small. If the dogs jump the hedge/fence then they are out of the beam. Then you risk hunting up. On the bigger fields as sheep chaser mentioned then you have to let the dog out the beam or it might not catch. If I was letting the dog run through woods etc at night with the possibility of a really long run, I’d have a tracker on it. I’m still in the thought of lamp goes off. Dog comes back. Doesn’t always work like that though ?

We run quite a variety , stone walls , Cornish banks ( basically earth and stone pilled up to form walls ) , forestry edge , moorland etc etc , some fenced with stock netting some with 3 strands of  barbed wire . Dogs always do best on the unfenced fields with clean wall faces . Most of the fields are pretty small round us , our biggest at home is just over 5 acres and so don't give bigger dogs much chance . We have to travel a bit to get in to bigger ground but do find it helps to know the ground well as quarry can often go over a brow in a field and duck out of the beam.

Edited by runner neil
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, runner neil said:

We run quite a variety , stone walls , Cornish banks ( basically earth and stone pilled up to form walls ) , forestry edge , moorland etc etc , some fenced with stock netting some with 3 strands of  barbed wire . Dogs always do best on the unfenced fields with clean wall faces . Most of the fields are pretty small round us , our biggest at home is just over 5 acres and so don't give bigger dogs much chance . We have to travel a bit to get in to bigger ground but do find it helps to know the ground well as quarry can often go over a brow in a field and duck out of the beam.

Got fields round here fenced with two strands of barbed bottom strand about 2 foot of the ground. I will avoid it’s as best as I can disaster waiting to happen 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Some can be very deceiving and look like football or rugby pitches. 

Sneaky bastruds them 10 acre fields. 

U know the game mate ,I had trouble wi a 10 acre field for years could never get 2 grips wi ote on it ,turns out c**t were 11 acre ?

• Haha 1

Fences and ditches are a bad combination. Like I said we’ve very little fencing around here but in the corner of one field is a little run of very old three strand barb, there haven’t been cows on the ground in a long long time. Mate came down for a nights lamping, drove five hours, first slip and dog went sailing over the bit of fence after something, hit the far ditch bank as he came down and that was game over. The next slip my other mate who’d travelled down with him ended up with his dog retired. Not the most successful night ! 

9 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Fences and ditches are a bad combination. Like I said we’ve very little fencing around here but in the corner of one field is a little run of very old three strand barb, there haven’t been cows on the ground in a long long time. Mate came down for a nights lamping, drove five hours, first slip and dog went sailing over the bit of fence after something, hit the far ditch bank as he came down and that was game over. The next slip my other mate who’d travelled down with him ended up with his dog retired. Not the most successful night ! 

Sounds a bit of a rum do that mate