Deerhound/Grey X Wheaton Grey

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this cross as there's a litter local to me and i'm a little tempted. The lurchers i've had for the last 30 years or so have been small whippet based dogs for rabbits but as this is potentially my last lurcher i'm tempted to try something a bit bigger. To be honest i'm more of a countryman and environmentalist these days (getting old and soft lol) but fancy something that could potentially take something bigger than rabbits and squirrels. My main concern is the reputation of wheatons being aggressive to other dogs (don't know if that's justified?) and a bit unpredictable. My dogs spent a lot of time with my young Grandsons so 'a loose cannon' is definitely out of the question! Would welcome the objective feedback of anyone with experience of this cross.

Cheers ?

• Like 1

I've no experience of the cross, but I've seen a few, so these pics may give you an idea of what to expect, at least as to what they look like

Two litter sisters, deerhound x Wheatan/Greyhound ;

IMG_5145.JPG.a3e0c7c55c2f72c1e386e081ca890e0d.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG.e3011b4d47d4f6ce052f6d7fe1773a7d.JPG

A litter brother went down south, and was evidently a very tidy dog on fox and deer.

The bitch in the first picture was put back to a deerhound, and the only pup I've seen looks like a smaller, stockier deerhound.

Not exactly the breeding you mentioned, but as near as I've seen.

Cheers.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I've no experience of the cross, but I've seen a few, so these pics may give you an idea of what to expect, at least as to what they look like

A litter brother went down south, and was evidently a very tidy dog on fox and deer.

The bitch in the first picture was put back to a deerhound, and the only pup I've seen looks like a smaller, stockier deerhound.

Cheers.

Thank you, much appreciated. The litter is very pleasing to the eye to be honest as are the dogs above ?

• Like 1

No experience with this x but me uncul had a deerhound greyhound x bedy greyhound and made a good worker and joy to have around the family .he run dogs for over sixty Year and still says a deerhound grey x bedy grey be his choice if he could do it again but like anything you got put time in as you no .

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Like that bottom one ,reminds me of the lurchers me family kept when I was a kid  

11 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Like that bottom one ,reminds me of the lurchers me family kept when I was a kid  

I was offered that bitch at 12 month old, I should have took it but I had three dogs and was waiting on a pup.

It went on to be a decent bitch and took a lot of stuff.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, chartpolski said:

I was offered that bitch at 12 month old, I should have took it but I had three dogs and was waiting on a pup.

It went on to be a decent bitch and took a lot of stuff.

Cheers.

Me uncul always saying I should put a deerhound greyhound over my bedy grey .

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Or if you don’t want something to big go for deerhound greyhound whippet mate.

I'd like something bigger than what I've got and she stands at 23 tts ,I like the Wheaton x greyhound but I don't see it putting height into the mix .I like the look of deerhound grey x collie greyhound and put over my bedy grey I think should get a good animal and capable of doing anything .

• Like 2
11 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Charts what size do you think they made as bottom one looks about 22/23

They both look crackers ,it's always the way mate ,I've been offered runners before that I'd be more than happy to own but had 3 already .

Atb 

if the right wheaten goes into that cross there wont be much in the uk it couldnt cope with i love the first x deer greys but the deerhound bloods just not there anymore so bit off bull or terrier in them wakes them up iv two with bull in them and there so far removed from a first x workwise its scary the young bitch iv got here now mad keen on anything and the big dog i got problably the best bambi dog iv had that big blk dogs finished now but i wouldnt mind getting him over a full deerhound for a pup back

• Like 4
21 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

That bottom dog is a beauty my kind of hound 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/10/2021 at 20:15, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

First picture looks like a bitch i bred atb longers01 

2CCBFFCA-FE69-46CD-B2EF-54FB6EE8F631.jpeg

• Like 4
On 26/10/2021 at 19:31, welshphil said:

Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this cross as there's a litter local to me and i'm a little tempted. The lurchers i've had for the last 30 years or so have been small whippet based dogs for rabbits but as this is potentially my last lurcher i'm tempted to try something a bit bigger. To be honest i'm more of a countryman and environmentalist these days (getting old and soft lol) but fancy something that could potentially take something bigger than rabbits and squirrels. My main concern is the reputation of wheatons being aggressive to other dogs (don't know if that's justified?) and a bit unpredictable. My dogs spent a lot of time with my young Grandsons so 'a loose cannon' is definitely out of the question! Would welcome the objective feedback of anyone with experience of this cross.

Cheers ?

I had a similar cross years ago and it was a fantastic animal. Great temperament at home and very keen in the field.

• Like 1