Dogs

5 hours ago, Neal said:

Difficult to tell in a photo but I'd describe that as blue and tan?...as Countryman62 said though...the colour is immaterial.

Tan, black and white are the predominant colours in him the older he gets the darker he’s become, that’s him below at 11 weeks old 

2BDC9726-DA95-4852-83CC-43325EAE39AA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, TeDuke said:

Tan, black and white are the predominant colours in him the older he gets the darker he’s become, that’s him below at 11 weeks old 

2BDC9726-DA95-4852-83CC-43325EAE39AA.jpeg

Ah yeah, I can see what you mean now. I find dog colours very confusing...but fascinating at the same time. My third lurcher was a collie x whippet with a merle collie as the sire. Five of the six pups were merle and the last was collie marked black and white. My pup was mainly " light brown" (as most people would describe it). When I referred to her as a red merle in a letter to the breeder (because brown is called red in dogs right?) she corrected me and told me she was a blue merle. When I asked why she said there were a number of reasons. These included the nose being blue (i.e. grey) as opposed to chocolate, blue solid patches on the body and also something else which I didn't understand at the time but do a little more now about how there are different types of red genetically and that the red from a collie was different to any red gene a whippet might carry. ? It made my brain hurt.

Add to this the fact that the same colour can have different names in different contexts and it's no wonder I get confused. For example, why is a a red and tan called a red and tan when the same breed in a solid (dark) colour is called chocolate instead of red or in a solid (light) colour called cream instead of tan. I give up.?

7 hours ago, Neal said:

Ah yeah, I can see what you mean now. I find dog colours very confusing...but fascinating at the same time. My third lurcher was a collie x whippet with a merle collie as the sire. Five of the six pups were merle and the last was collie marked black and white. My pup was mainly " light brown" (as most people would describe it). When I referred to her as a red merle in a letter to the breeder (because brown is called red in dogs right?) she corrected me and told me she was a blue merle. When I asked why she said there were a number of reasons. These included the nose being blue (i.e. grey) as opposed to chocolate, blue solid patches on the body and also something else which I didn't understand at the time but do a little more now about how there are different types of red genetically and that the red from a collie was different to any red gene a whippet might carry. ? It made my brain hurt.

Add to this the fact that the same colour can have different names in different contexts and it's no wonder I get confused. For example, why is a a red and tan called a red and tan when the same breed in a solid (dark) colour is called chocolate instead of red or in a solid (light) colour called cream instead of tan. I give up.?

Confused me reading that haha, like I said earlier he’s been described before now as brindle ?‍♂️He’s definitely not brindle that’s for sure, he’s saluki colours but with slight roughness off the deerhound 

3 hours ago, TeDuke said:

Confused me reading that haha, like I said earlier he’s been described before now as brindle ?‍♂️He’s definitely not brindle that’s for sure, he’s saluki colours but with slight roughness off the deerhound 

He’s a stunning looking animal for sure, atb

• Thanks 1

Duchess old fella Boots is still plodding away having just seen his 9th birthday at the beginning of this month,this will almost certainly be his last 'full' season at work,I'll be hanging up his lead for good in a few month's time,the year's have passed by so quickly that's for sure..he wouldn't retire himself I know that much,he still loves what he does but I'd never want to see him being embarrassed when hunting due to old age & or reoccurring injuries..I'll make the decision as to when he has his final trip out in the near future..nice to hear Duchess has & continues to serve you ok out in the field,hope her pups continue in the same vain too ??

1633613762590-01.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, FUJI said:

Duchess old fella Boots is still plodding away having just seen his 9th birthday at the beginning of this month,this will almost certainly be his last 'full' season at work,I'll be hanging up his lead for good in a few month's time,the year's have passed by so quickly that's for sure..he wouldn't retire himself I know that much,he still loves what he does but I'd never want to see him being embarrassed when hunting due to old age & or reoccurring injuries..I'll make the decision as to when he has his final trip out in the near future..nice to hear Duchess has & continues to serve you ok out in the field,hope her pups continue in the same vain too ??

1633613762590-01.jpeg

Thanks fella the big dog of mine has now been retired not of his own choice but mine, he had 2 big injuries which I thought would have finished him, twice he’s gone through a fence ?‍♂️ He healed well and got him back running again for him to pull a muscle around the groin area ( I know the right name just can’t spell it ) chasing a fecking bunny, he can’t shake this one off…

• Sad 1