Gain 28

23 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

When my old Nana  was alive,she always kept a German shepherd or 2 about her...they lived until they was 17/18 yr old...there was no specialized dog food then, they lived off table and butchers scraps..she never ever fed them from a tin...used to say to me that it would half the life expectancy of a dog and give them cancer etc..anyone think there's any truth in that? Hearing  about the shit that goes into this food these days,pushing health insurance , massive vet bills..dying at 6/7 yr old??

Think it's not just dog food but our food as well dan processed food is full of stuff we don't need to keep it fresh etc even bread feck knows what they put in it to keep it fresh for days n mold off we're as homemade bread is done after a day eh. 

• Like 2

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mate and his Oldman had an endless supply of peters pies/pastys....would mix it up in a massive tea urn with some kibble,what ever else was about, under a gas burner...walk out in the yard and 'tre

You are right there fellah? Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all

Raw feed all way

Posted Images

On 28/10/2021 at 18:28, Daniel cain said:

When my old Nana  was alive,she always kept a German shepherd or 2 about her...they lived until they was 17/18 yr old...there was no specialized dog food then, they lived off table and butchers scraps..she never ever fed them from a tin...used to say to me that it would half the life expectancy of a dog and give them cancer etc..anyone think there's any truth in that? Hearing  about the shit that goes into this food these days,pushing health insurance , massive vet bills..dying at 6/7 yr old??

I think your right as I don't remember one of our juckels dying young unless in accident or when parvo hit "and that wiped full litters out and very sad to witness and still remember the smell from the pups ", me poor mum sat for days trying to keep a litter of terriers alive but one by one they went ,and only one survived out of 9 pups "but any how other than that all our dogs lived to good old age with no visits to the vet but now dogs getting all kinds of problems you never had yrs ago and it might have something to do with how we feed today . They wasn't so many dogs bred that had hip,eye and breathing problems back then not that I remember. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, dodger said:

Out of interest what would you feed mate, homemade stew type stuff.. 

I buy either james welbeloved or arden grange.But tbh a sack lasts me maybe 2 months+ between 2 bandogs and a dachshund as I feed mostly 20% fat minced beef,Chicken wings/legs,A bit of offal and veg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dodger said:

Think it's not just dog food but our food as well dan processed food is full of stuff we don't need to keep it fresh etc even bread feck knows what they put in it to keep it fresh for days n mold off we're as homemade bread is done after a day eh. 

All the antibiotics and drugs they put into animals to make them grow bigger and quicker and feeding stuff they never would eat naturally is so wrong .

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, downsouth said:

I buy eithe james welbeloved or arden grange.But tbh a sack lasts me maybe 2 months+ between 2 bandogs and a dachshund as I feed mostly 20% fat minced beef,Chicken wings/legs,A bit of offal and veg

Lucky dogs

For anyone who's on a budget n wants to feed whole carcass or just to add meat to there dogs diet go round to your local shoots n they'll usually give you some pheasant partridge n duck n takes minutes to pull the skin off them n job done good clean scran. 

• Like 5
5 hours ago, FUJI said:

There isn't a better way to rot a dog's teeth than by soaking kibble..either feed it dry or don't feed it at all..soaking it is a definite NO NO ?

? crunching a few biscuits doesn’t keep there teeth clean, bones are for that, I wouldn’t be keen on going for a days coursing if I had fed my dog a big bowl of dry food the night before, do you not think that would dehydrated them

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dodger said:

For anyone who's on a budget n wants to feed whole carcass or just to add meat to there dogs diet go round to your local shoots n they'll usually give you some pheasant partridge n duck n takes minutes to pull the skin off them n job done good clean scran. 

Apart from all the lead shot in them ?, can’t be any good for them that can it ? 

1 hour ago, dodger said:

Lucky dogs

At the end of the day my dogs are what Im into and even now nowhere as seriously as i was from thd late 80s up untill may be 5 years ago.If I can't spend 25/30 quid a week on them then Im not as serious as I thought Cracks me up the ammount of so called dog men that choke at the thought of spending a few quid on decent dog grub but will happily do 20+ quid a night on beer or week.Ive paid more for chicken grub and bird seed than what some of these tight c**ts wanna pay for a sack of dog grub.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, downsouth said:

At the end of the day my dogs are what Im into and even now nowhere as seriously as i was from thd late 80s up untill may be 5 years ago.If I cant spend 25/30 quid a week on them then Im not as serious as I thought Cracks me up the ammount of so called dog men that choke at the thought of spending a few quid on decent dog gryb but will happily do 20+ quid a night on beer or weed.

Totally agree it's mad when you see lads driving new range rovers on shoots but feed really cheap food that is really common. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

? crunching a few biscuits doesn’t keep there teeth clean, bones are for that, I wouldn’t be keen on going for a days coursing if I had fed my dog a big bowl of dry food the night before, do you not think that would dehydrated them

On 26/10/2021 at 10:27, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

gain 28 isn’t a bad food for its price, firm poo dogs look well and coats shine but it’s only 13% fat as it’s designed for sprinting dogs more than endurance so if his dogs are out 5 days a week I’m not sure they would hold condition on it unless he added some fat to it everyday day as in lard or beef dripping or sunflower oil ect which is easy and cheap enough to do anyway, one thing I would tell him if he uses it or any dry food for that matter is to soak it in  plenty of warm water half an hour before feeding,  it amazes me how much water these dry foods will absorb if you let them soak for a while, just imagine if your giving them a big bowl of dry food and the dog isn’t the best drinker it’s got to really dehydrate them when there working har

Where did I say it kept their teeth clean? I just said soaked biscuits WILL rot a dog's teeth years sooner than fed dry biscuit & I'd not feed ANY dog a bowl FULL of dry or soaked kibble whether I was taking it out walking,coursing or whatever,non of mine get more than a small beaker of dry biscuit in their scran daily,for what it's worth Gain is poor grade feed,there's better out there if your budget is in that bracket,Alpha feeds is better quality,Red Mills is one of the poorest 'popular' kibble feeds on the market these day's,it was once a decent feed,not anymore..people can feed their dog's whatever they like,it's their choice & sometimes it's about convenience & access to certain brands that dictates what people feed,the main thing with dog's is to be consistent when feeding, chopping & changing a dog's diet is a cardinal sin,they will not thrive on an ever changing diet especially a working dog..anyways each to their own & all that,if the dog's are happy,content & are doing ok out in the field then jobs a good un ?..only the owner needs to clean it's mess up regardless of what brand of kibble it had for its dinner ?

2021-03-03-70.jpg

2 hours ago, nothernlite said:

Whole Rabbit minced with the fur on green tripe and chicken carcasses and a we bit dry added when fed feck just giving dry 20211027_103726.thumb.jpg.790973f6a00129a3ce1e613dfe137633.jpg

What mincer are you using ? Ive got a massive Hobart mincer but it clogs up when I run fur through it. 

• Like 1