Gain 28

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mate and his Oldman had an endless supply of peters pies/pastys....would mix it up in a massive tea urn with some kibble,what ever else was about, under a gas burner...walk out in the yard and 'tre

You are right there fellah? Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all

Raw feed all way

Posted Images

7 hours ago, OldPhil said:

You are right there fellah?

Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all the dogs on that god-awful, Muesli mix of absolute garbage, and by feck, we killed van loads of game.. but, I've often wondered how much more i would have captured if the jukels had been better served, as they are today? Maybe a few more rabbits hares and deer,.. but overall,..  probably not much more.

As for poorly kept curs,...well, both my Father, Grandfather and relatives, all kept their sheepdogs , farm curs, on the most meagre of rations,...and feeding them raw meat  or fallen stock was generally considered a definite NO,NO..?

Back then, we were schooled to believe that if we fed rabbits, hares and stillborn lambs to the dogs, it would encourage them to turn a bit hard on gear, or worst still, especially the herders,..to start killing the woollies❗

I've never really subscribed to this notion? but then, I have never had to rely on keeping livestock for a living, so maybe one's attitude changes when that is the case....What  do know is,.. our collies were frequently fed on a kind of sloppy porridge mess ,..and lived out their lives, chained to small boxes, amidst a kind of ramshackle, shanty town.

Fecking terrible way to keep a valuable working animal,.. but back then, sheepdogs were two a penny, and life was hard.

Thank goodness, nowadays most stockmen and running dog owners give a wee bit more thought towards their canine partners and things are much, much better.

For myself,.. I choose to feed a variety of scran to the dogs.. indeed,.. because I no longer work them to any high degree, I feel that I can get away with things, that a more serious, committed  dogger/courser, might possibly frown upon...

Whatever, we choose to feed our dogs, I firmly believe that , as in most things in life, you generally get out ,..what you put in,.in other words,.. treat them right, both physically, and often more importantly, (mentally) and you'll do ok.

All the best, lads, stay safe,  OldPhil?

PICT00130.jpg

The old Vitalin provided excellent exercise for dogs' anal sphincters.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

4/5 times a week is alot mate unless just mooching having odd runs on there walks taking lamp out for an hour?

It's full hard days mate but of course your quite right and it's the gundogs I work 5 times a week the Lurchers couldn't handle full shifts like that as you say but having said that it's still a huge work load for the spaniels n takes alot to keep them right like. 

• Like 1
On 26/10/2021 at 10:27, thefensarefarbutistillgo said:

gain 28 isn’t a bad food for its price, firm poo dogs look well and coats shine but it’s only 13% fat as it’s designed for sprinting dogs more than endurance so if his dogs are out 5 days a week I’m not sure they would hold condition on it unless he added some fat to it everyday day as in lard or beef dripping or sunflower oil ect which is easy and cheap enough to do anyway, one thing I would tell him if he uses it or any dry food for that matter is to soak it in  plenty of warm water half an hour before feeding,  it amazes me how much water these dry foods will absorb if you let them soak for a while, just imagine if your giving them a big bowl of dry food and the dog isn’t the best drinker it’s got to really dehydrate them when there working hard 

There isn't a better way to rot a dog's teeth than by soaking kibble..either feed it dry or don't feed it at all..soaking it is a definite NO NO ?

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, FUJI said:

There isn't a better way to rot a dog's teeth than by soaking kibble..either feed it dry or don't feed it at all..soaking it is a definite NO NO ?

descent bone every other day fuji have them sound i dont think kibble cleans teeth mate 

2 hours ago, FUJI said:

You always fed well I remember that mincer you had n you'd put hares through it do you still have that, you fed the dogs 3 times in 24 hours as well after shifts if remember right. 

23 hours ago, downsouth said:

If I was working dogs 4/5 times a week I wouldnt feed Gain,Redmills,Dr johns or any of that cheap old shit.In fact I dont work my dogs I have now anywhere near as hard as I used to work my Terriers/Lurchers/Spaniels and I still wouldnt feed any of it.

Out of interest what would you feed mate, homemade stew type stuff.. 

• Like 1