Gain 28

3 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

Yeah surprising what dogs have ran on in the past, and in other countries. Remember feeding vitalin etc, like something you'd give a horse, yet they were fine?

It does always fascinate me how folk talk about feeding dogs. While I totally agree it’s good to feed them the best you can and condition them right and that a hard working dog needs good grub...... I also think sometimes it’s as much about the person as the dog, feeding very expensive kibble or complex raw diets. There would be plenty of hard working farm dogs fed on cheap dry feed and scraps.  

• Like 6

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mate and his Oldman had an endless supply of peters pies/pastys....would mix it up in a massive tea urn with some kibble,what ever else was about, under a gas burner...walk out in the yard and 'tre

You are right there fellah? Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all

Raw feed all way

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SheepChaser said:

It does always fascinate me how folk talk about feeding dogs. While I totally agree it’s good to feed them the best you can and condition them right and that a hard working dog needs good grub...... I also think sometimes it’s as much about the person as the dog, feeding very expensive kibble or complex raw diets. There would be plenty of hard working farm dogs fed on cheap dry feed and scraps.  

Yep, take salukis/saluki types, they've  developed over thousands of years to live on shite basically, they just need  decent UK food imo. Daft paying treble for something they don't need. Haven't owned a collie but they seem the same. I'm not saying feed shit before anyone reads something that isn't there lol

Edited by Gilbey
  • Like 1
On 28/10/2021 at 10:43, Gilbey said:

Yeah surprising what dogs have ran on in the past, and in other countries. Remember feeding vitalin etc, like something you'd give a horse, yet they were fine?

You are right there fellah?

Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all the dogs on that god-awful, Muesli mix of absolute garbage, and by feck, we killed van loads of game.. but, I've often wondered how much more i would have captured if the jukels had been better served, as they are today? Maybe a few more rabbits hares and deer,.. but overall,..  probably not much more.

As for poorly kept curs,...well, both my Father, Grandfather and relatives, all kept their sheepdogs , farm curs, on the most meagre of rations,...and feeding them raw meat  or fallen stock was generally considered a definite NO,NO..?

Back then, we were schooled to believe that if we fed rabbits, hares and stillborn lambs to the dogs, it would encourage them to turn a bit hard on gear, or worst still, especially the herders,..to start killing the woollies❗

I've never really subscribed to this notion? but then, I have never had to rely on keeping livestock for a living, so maybe one's attitude changes when that is the case....What  do know is,.. our collies were frequently fed on a kind of sloppy porridge mess ,..and lived out their lives, chained to small boxes, amidst a kind of ramshackle, shanty town.

Fecking terrible way to keep a valuable working animal,.. but back then, sheepdogs were two a penny, and life was hard.

Thank goodness, nowadays most stockmen and running dog owners give a wee bit more thought towards their canine partners and things are much, much better.

For myself,.. I choose to feed a variety of scran to the dogs.. indeed,.. because I no longer work them to any high degree, I feel that I can get away with things, that a more serious, committed  dogger/courser, might possibly frown upon...

Whatever, we choose to feed our dogs, I firmly believe that , as in most things in life, you generally get out ,..what you put in,.in other words,.. treat them right, both physically, and often more importantly, (mentally) and you'll do ok.

All the best, lads, stay safe,  OldPhil?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

Yep, take salukis/saluki types, they've  developed over thousands of years to live on shite basically, they just need  decent UK food imo. Daft paying treble for something they don't need. Haven't owned a collie but they seem the same. I'm not saying feed shit before anyone reads something that isn't there lol

Agree I think Salukis and definitely collies seem to do fine on mediocre feeds farmers in general are tight n many years of basic feeding the must have adapted to do well that way. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, OldPhil said:

You are right there fellah?

Its amazing what some dogs can survive on,...mind you, the poor feckers don't have much of a say in the matter, now do they?  As for Vitalin,. well, I used to feed all the dogs on that god-awful, Muesli mix of absolute garbage, and by feck, we killed van loads of game.. but, I've often wondered how much more i would have captured if the jukels had been better served, as they are today? Maybe a few more rabbits hares and deer,.. but overall,..  probably not much more.

As for poorly kept curs,...well, both my Father, Grandfather and relatives, all kept their sheepdogs , farm curs, on the most meagre of rations,...and feeding them raw meat  or fallen stock was generally considered a definite NO,NO..?

Back then, we were schooled to believe that if we fed rabbits, hares and stillborn lambs to the dogs, it would encourage them to turn a bit hard on gear, or worst still, especially the herders,..to start killing the woollies❗

I've never really subscribed to this notion? but then, I have never had to rely on keeping livestock for a living, so maybe one's attitude changes when that is the case....What  do know is,.. our collies were frequently fed on a kind of sloppy porridge mess ,..and lived out their lives, chained to small boxes, amidst a kind of ramshackle, shanty town.

Fecking terrible way to keep a valuable working animal,.. but back then, sheepdogs were two a penny, and life was hard.

Thank goodness, nowadays most stockmen and running dog owners give a wee bit more thought towards their canine partners and things are much, much better.

For myself,.. I choose to feed a variety of scran to the dogs.. indeed,.. because I no longer work them to any high degree, I feel that I can get away with things, that a more serious, committed  dogger/courser, might possibly frown upon...

Whatever, we choose to feed our dogs, I firmly believe that , as in most things in life, you generally get out ,..what you put in,.in other words,.. treat them right, both physically, and often more importantly, (mentally) and you'll do ok.

All the best, lads, stay safe,  OldPhil?

DSC_9084.jpeg

img009.tif.jpg

PICT00130.jpg

Great post old boy?

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

I remember me unculs just feeding scraps and few bones and rabbit ,hare heads and make what they called a mash and all done well on it and move on 40 Yr and folk spending fortune but dogs don't look no better for it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

All my uncle feeds his collies is scraps from slaughterhouse odd dead lamb he will skin out etc. Then cheap shite biscuits. Dogs are always bouncing and right on working all day on the moorland 

• Like 1

My mate and his Oldman had an endless supply of peters pies/pastys....would mix it up in a massive tea urn with some kibble,what ever else was about, under a gas burner...walk out in the yard and 'trencher' feed the terriers,lurchers,bulls, spaniels..they all eat it straight off the floor,no f***ing about no arguments...those dogs were all worked to the max... nightmare on the way home from lamping when you got 3/4 bull X's farting like f**k in the back of a f***ing saxo vts??

• Haha 10
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

My mate and his Oldman had an endless supply of peters pies/pastys....would mix it up in a massive tea urn with some kibble,what ever else was about, under a gas burner...walk out in the yard and 'trencher' feed the terriers,lurchers,bulls, spaniels..they all eat it straight off the floor,no f***ing about no arguments...those dogs were all worked to the max... nightmare on the way home from lamping when you got 3/4 bull X's farting like f**k in the back of a f***ing saxo vts??

Folk over think dog feed today ,when I was a kid me mother didn't have 30 pound to feed us 7 kids never mind spend it on a juckel ,you visit any raw shop and they folk in there buying deer legs at 8 pound a shot and all kinds of rubbish the dogs don't need like rabbit ears for f sake,,I feed what I can afford and they do well on it and eat everything I put down for them ,I hear so many times she's fussy lol it will eat if its hungry 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Are u saying feed them shite

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Folk over think dog feed today ,when I was a kid me mother didn't have 30 pound to feed us 7 kids never mind spend it on a juckel ,you visit any raw shop and they folk in there buying deer legs at 8 pound a shot and all kinds of rubbish the dogs don't need like rabbit ears for f sake,,I feed what I can afford and they do well on it and eat everything I put down for them ,I hear so many times she's fussy lol it will eat if its hungry 

Dad used 2 feed us to the dogs if we were lucky

• Haha 1

If I was working dogs 4/5 times a week I wouldnt feed Gain,Redmills,Dr johns or any of that cheap old shit.In fact I dont work my dogs I have now anywhere near as hard as I used to work my Terriers/Lurchers/Spaniels and I still wouldnt feed any of it.

• Like 1

When my old Nana  was alive,she always kept a German shepherd or 2 about her...they lived until they was 17/18 yr old...there was no specialized dog food then, they lived off table and butchers scraps..she never ever fed them from a tin...used to say to me that it would half the life expectancy of a dog and give them cancer etc..anyone think there's any truth in that? Hearing  about the shit that goes into this food these days,pushing health insurance , massive vet bills..dying at 6/7 yr old??

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, downsouth said:

If I was working dogs 4/5 times a week I wouldnt feed Gain,Redmills,Dr johns or any of that cheap old shit.

4/5 times a week just knocking about ?how many mutts can be worked 5 days a week