Lamping

_Lewis_

How does everyone else go about lamping for rabbits with an air rifle? When I spot a rabbit I don’t want to walk to close in case it spooks or do they pay less attention in the dark because I can’t get near enough for a shot.Does anyone else shoot more than 50 yards?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, terryd said:

I don't know about that I used to do ok lamping with the air rifle because you can get closer that you would during the day. Basically give it a go and see what you think

I don’t want to walk to close to them in the dark because I can’t see when they run away and I don’t want walk towards them with a lamp because then they’re looking right at me.Can they see me clearly in the dark? Like how close could I get

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, _Lewis_ said:

I don’t want to walk to close to them in the dark because I can’t see when they run away and I don’t want walk towards them with a lamp because then they’re looking right at me.Can they see me clearly in the dark? Like how close could I get

You need to get out and have a go now. Internet is great for few pointers but nothing beats trying things and finding out what does and does not work. All part of it

• Like 1

I'm with Terry on this 

Nothing beats trying things 

BUT you will need to learn your land 

Every bit of it first every nook and cranny where you can place your foot when walking 

So you don't make a noise 

Iv Lamped with an air rifle for years since I was a kid 

Lamping is a skill you have to learn 

And its not easy by any means 

I find once you come across a rabbit I tend to keep the rabbit in view but just on the edge of the beem

So not on the rabbit just so you can make it out still on the edge so it's still in darkness but you can see it 

Remember the closer you get to the range your happy with the brighter your beem will get as your closing the gap only putting the full beem on right at the last second before your shot 

Some still run off but some don't 

And if they do run off just learn from it, 

Learn field craft it helps alot when Lamping 

Get to your perm in day light find where they are and set markers out 

10yrds 20yrds 30yrds and so on 

This will help you at night with ranging your pray and it helps a lot 

Learn how to walk quietly and slow 

Remember they don't have them long ears for nothing 

They will hear you before they see you, 

There is a lot to learn but keep at it and it will come to you 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 6

Take good note of Jimmy's post above as he is Mr lamp man so follow his words.  The air rifle is easily able to take rabbits out at 50 mts and further PROVIDING you are capable of shooting at that range.  Remember shooting at night is VERY different to daytime shooting where you can range far more easily but in darkness it's a whole new ball game, for me, a night time rangefinder is a godsend and worth every penny.

Set out some targets and shoot them in darkness to see how it feels before trying on rabbits.

Phil

• Like 2

Jimmys bang on with his advice, what I do is check out the land in day light rabbit droppings fresh digging in the dirt if there’s a new crop coming through check the leaves for nibbling, then I find a nice place a reasonable distance away to set myself up and then the key is patience if your not patient forget it and when I take a shot I only use a red filter white filter for scanning only.

I use a rimfire mainly but I have a HW97 for those tighter areas good luck mate you’ve come to the right place for advice we all have to start some where, my favourite time of day is dusk about an hour before darkness, that’s when I find all the chancer rabbits come out on my permission.

Edited by FLATTOP
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, j j m said:

ive had no issues lamping with a air rifle

Me neither done it for years,Lewis invest in a shooting stick for stability,I use a £10.00 monopod so no need to break the bank.

No need for a long distance lamp,I use 2 T20 torches,one attached to my scopes with a figure 8 clamp and another my spotter worn around my neck on lanyard.I scan and spot with neck worn torch and when I feel I’m in a good killing distance I change to gun mounted torch so I’m not shouldering the rifle all night.

both my T20s are single mode with red beam also called red pill.

I can see from your other threads that you are a very enthusiastic young man wanting to learn all about hunting and please ignore any negative answers from some members,we’ve all been just like you,and you’re doing the right thing by asking questions.

keep up the good work you are our future on the hunting fields.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, patterdale said:

Me neither done it for years,Lewis invest in a shooting stick for stability,I use a £10.00 monopod so no need to break the bank.

No need for a long distance lamp,I use 2 T20 torches,one attached to my scopes with a figure 8 clamp and another my spotter worn around my neck on lanyard.I scan and spot with neck worn torch and when I feel I’m in a good killing distance I change to gun mounted torch so I’m not shouldering the rifle all night.

I can see from your other threads that you are a very enthusiastic young man wanting to learn all about hunting and please ignore any negative answers from some members,we’ve all been just like you,and you’re doing the right thing by asking questions.

I use the t20 as well more than capable of airgun ranges and then some 

Flattop same mate dusk or a little be fore

So I can get the ones sunning them selfs under bushes or fences 

With there heads held high and eyes closed, 

If you learn the land you can lay in wait on a night time dusk is good for this find there burrows lay down at your zero range and they will come out now I don't lay in front of there burrows either to the right or the left 

So when they come out they don't see me strait off 

Gives you time to set the shot up 

Once shot I don't retrieve the shot rabbit I leave it where it fell, 

Or they will here you walking to pick it up 

Through the ground or feel the vibration of ur foot steps 

Just lay where you are and get ready for the next shot 

If you get stuck on any thing just give us a shout and we will help you 

Out as much as possible 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 3

Sorry 

I use an adjustable lamp mount 

So you can get the beam right into the scope and once set it dose not move 

A little on the pricy side mind but we'll Werth it 

I'll get some pics up soon for you 

Iv got a t6 on at the moment 

As it's not as bright as the t20 

As the rabbits on one of our perms are now lamp shy

Now that's another learning curve you have to learn 

But more about that later just learn 

How to lamp first 

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 2
1 hour ago, patterdale said:

I’m having a bipod fitted into my air rifle tomorrow and a Night Master NM1 CL Long Range Hunting Light in red to fit onto my scope and I’ve already got a lamp it’s not one of those £200 ones it was around £70 £80 I think and I’ve tried it out and that seems fine 

56 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Sorry 

I use an adjustable lamp mount 

So you can get the beam right into the scope and once set it dose not move 

A little on the pricy side mind but we'll Werth it 

I'll get some pics up soon for you 

Iv got a t6 on at the moment 

As it's not as bright as the t20 

As the rabbits on one of our perms are now lamp shy

Now that's another learning curve you have to learn 

But more about that later just learn 

How to lamp first 

Atvbjimmy ???

There’s a field right on my doorstep with a couple rabbits and I’ve been there twice in a row without any luck but I don’t want to go again in case they go lamp shy and I might have a go some night between now and next week when the weathers good In another place where there’s rabbits that I haven’t been yet in the dark

38 minutes ago, _Lewis_ said:

There’s a field right on my doorstep with a couple rabbits and I’ve been there twice in a row without any luck but I don’t want to go again in case they go lamp shy and I might have a go some night between now and next week when the weathers good In another place where there’s rabbits that I haven’t been yet in the dark

You'll do better on a dark windy night, than a bright still one?

• Like 1