SD I've got one to give your feo a headache (and probably you from the noise / blast) - following on from the suggestion thread:

Glad you're enjoying the .22 again though.

PS if you've never seen an air rifle move a floor mounted chrono weighing a few pounds back with every shot from 5 yds away, then make sure you watch the video.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
On 24/10/2021 at 22:34, Alsone said:

SD I've got one to give your feo a headache (and probably you from the noise / blast) - following on from the suggestion thread:

Glad you're enjoying the .22 again though.

PS if you've never seen an air rifle move a floor mounted chrono weighing a few pounds back with every shot from 5 yds away, then make sure you watch the video.

Thanks for the video link. It's very useful.  Thanks to the character in the video its convinced me to stay well clear of fac pcp air! 

?

• Like 1
On 24/10/2021 at 20:37, Stavross said:

I think I’ll treat myself to a walk around the forestry with the .22 at some point this week, there seems to be a lot of squizzers about now ?

I was about to say the same, all of a sudden squirrels everywhere!

:thumbs:

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, villaman said:

I shot 200+ on one permission from October last year till April this year and went out last weekend to fill feeders up  . Squirrels everywhere, you wouldn’t of thought I shot any at all .

I’ve done the same at the shoot, shot loads and you don’t see that many over the summer, as soon as October comes round it’s like I haven’t shot 1

• Like 2
9 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I must be in a squirrel Bermuda triangle- they bit of a rarity here. We have abundance of trees, a vast mixed forest & few copse woodland very rarely see squirrel, not shot one in over 2 years. ?

Yes it's funny how some places are covered in them but a couple of miles away there will be none.

I'm getting on top of them on one place. Yesterday I only shot 2 (with the piddly 22) after shooting 6 plus every visit there every other day.

Visited my RFD this week.

He offered me a very tempting deal on a like new Annie 1516 in wmr.

It's got me thinking my hmr could be my night time rig for the most part and the nice light sporting Annie a daytime knock about rifle flat enough for 100yd shooting (with some room for error) without having to think about it much. Unlike the 22 that's as flat as a slingshot!

29 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

One of my local shops is out of 17 grain hmr ammo and only has cci 20 grain, which is ok, but at £22:99 for 50 I’ll stick to reloading my hornet thanks. Prices are getting daft for these in my opinion. That’s where the .22 does rock?

Yes and no mate. Everytime I go out with the 22 I end up plinking a box away! Often because I'm testing the drop or try to fathom it out again verses range etc etc.

In other words 500 rds does not last long and the vermin to rounds purchased ratio is poor compared to hmr or wmr.

Often the hmr goes out but never fires a shot. With the 22 I would of blasted half a box at nothing.

For high squirrel numbers an air rifle or my muffpower 12g spreads the ammo cost but again the hmr as a rifle is fine for some of that roll.

I hear you about reloading the hornet but even the costs for that are going to escalate soon.

There is no free ride.

I don't have the rabbits I use to have so when I do go out I'm thinking that the shots I do have I don't want to miss simply because I was ten yards out on my estimation!

Anyway, I'll go squirreling tomorrow  again only this time I want to use the hmr and do a comparison against 22 last week.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Yes and no mate. Everytime I go out with the 22 I end up plinking a box away! Often because I'm testing the drop or try to fathom it out again verses range etc etc.

In other words 500 rds does not last long and the vermin to rounds purchased ratio is poor compared to hmr or wmr.

Often the hmr goes out but never fires a shot. With the 22 I would of blasted half a box at nothing.

For high squirrel numbers an air rifle or my muffpower 12g spreads the ammo cost but again the hmr as a rifle is fine for some of that roll.

I hear you about reloading the hornet but even the costs for that are going to escalate soon.

There is no free ride.

I don't have the rabbits I use to have so when I do go out I'm thinking that the shots I do have I don't want to miss simply because I was ten yards out on my estimation!

Anyway, I'll go squirreling tomorrow  again only this time I want to use the hmr and do a comparison against 22 last week.

I think for me, it’s that I don’t really use hmr anymore. Mine hasn’t been out of the cabinet since before covid. If .22 rf isn’t enough I’ll go straight to the hornet which with the price of hmr ammo is now cheaper to shoot. That said, my hmr is a nice little truck gun so maybe I should dig it out for an airing.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

I think for me, it’s that I don’t really use hmr anymore. Mine hasn’t been out of the cabinet since before covid. If .22 rf isn’t enough I’ll go straight to the hornet which with the price of hmr ammo is now cheaper to shoot. That said, my hmr is a nice little truck gun so maybe I should dig it out for an airing.

We are all different and live/ work in different environments. ?

• Like 1

So I went out with the 22 again today. I cheated the scope to see how it affected the sighting plane to trajectory  by lifting the rear of the scope a shade. Didn't make much difference really. 

I did come away with a smart buck rabbit shot at a whopping 8yards but still feel underwhelmed with it.

20211031_155238.jpg.7f40d739780843bf24f33089a159d73e.jpgI'm gonna swap it for something warmer if I can find something. Going off the Annie.  To many scary stories of being ammo fussy in wmr!

Over and out....

• Like 2