Lamping

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If uv got a lamp, air rifle and ferrets best way to learn is to just get yourself out after em as much as possible. Every escaped rabbit and unsuccessful trip out will be a learning curve ( nowt wrong

Sorry I can't talk 2 u again ? 

Always work to a dogs strength, something it took me a while to realise , I'd bet your dog would find some trouble in cover if you put the time in ?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

Because most of the land that I have permission on is no good for ferreting But there’s rabbit activity so I wanted to hit it with a lamp to have a go

So you brought a ferret finder and ferrets and know nothing about ferreting then go buy a lamp with a red filter with no dog and know f**k all about lamping what was you gonna do throw the lamp at the rabbits ???‍♂️

Air rifle and lamp is a good combo 
Plenty to watch on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lamping+with+air+rifle

My first ever trip out with a lamp was with a yellow flashing light i pinched off some roadworks. It was all i had but never forget seeing some rabbits scoot by close. It sowed the seed. Farmer must thought the mrs drugged his hollicks when he looked out window 

12 minutes ago, bunnyboiler said:

So you brought a ferret finder and ferrets and know nothing about ferreting then go buy a lamp with a red filter with no dog and know f**k all about lamping what was you gonna do throw the lamp at the rabbits ???‍♂️

Shoot them 

Just now, terryd said:

Air rifle and lamp is a good combo 
Plenty to watch on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lamping+with+air+rifle

My first ever trip out with a lamp was with a yellow flashing light i pinched off some roadworks. It was all i had but never forget seeing some rabbits scoot by close. It sowed the seed. Farmer must thought the mrs drugged his hollicks when he looked out window 

How am I meant to learn about all this without buying them to do it 

32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Why would you think the lad at it? He may well be, but I don’t see anything stupid? Anything dodgy? Or any sort of fishing going on in the lads posts, seems quite genuine, could be wrong tho. 

if the lad was asking for pics of smashed up dogs, or quarry, or asking how to do illegal stuff I’d see your point, but to ask for the basics on ferreting and lamping is hardly side splitting humour ?

Seems abit pointless like our Steve's shed 

If he ain't genuine 

17 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

I’ve never been lamping before and know much about it but when you go lamping should you put the red filter on or not.Because it’s hardest to see with the red filter but isn’t that invisible to animals? And then the normal light isn’t that good because it blinds the rabbits or makes them confused? I pointed my lamp up a field from my house so there was no other way of me scarring the rabbit but when I put the lamp on the rabbit it ran away but how is lamping possible if the rabbits run away as soon as they see the light? I don’t know anything about lamping and I’m  just trying to find out a bit

If uv got a lamp, air rifle and ferrets best way to learn is to just get yourself out after em as much as possible. Every escaped rabbit and unsuccessful trip out will be a learning curve ( nowt wrong with asking for advice aswel mind ?)  but u carnt beat just just getting amongst it to learn your field craft and those first bits of success priceless. 

My only regret Is not getting into running dogs sooner . Was always more involved in the shooting an went into keepering at a young age so always had labs.  Always fancied a lurcher of some sort an always admired a nice lurcher [BANNED TEXT] I saw one , but just never got round to it. Probably didn’t have the time to do one justice.

But now I’m out of keepering and me last lab bit the dust , I finally said f**k it I’m Gona have a runner .  Iv absolutely loved it an not looked back since . Had abit of a false start with me first dog a beddy grey whip who got hit by a car just as he was getting going. But got straight back in with another pup and loving it.  My advice would be f**k the rifle off and get a whippet or sumat , it’s way more fun , trust me ??

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, AndyD89 said:

If uv got a lamp, air rifle and ferrets best way to learn is to just get yourself out after em as much as possible. Every escaped rabbit and unsuccessful trip out will be a learning curve ( nowt wrong with asking for advice aswel mind ?)  but u carnt beat just just getting amongst it to learn your field craft and those first bits of success priceless. 

My only regret Is not getting into running dogs sooner . Was always more involved in the shooting an went into keepering at a young age so always had labs.  Always fancied a lurcher of some sort an always admired a nice lurcher [BANNED TEXT] I saw one , but just never got round to it. Probably didn’t have the time to do one justice.

But now I’m out of keepering and me last lab bit the dust , I finally said f**k it I’m Gona have a runner .  Iv absolutely loved it an not looked back since . Had abit of a false start with me first dog a beddy grey whip who got hit by a car just as he was getting going. But got straight back in with another pup and loving it.  My advice would be f**k the rifle off and get a whippet or sumat , it’s way more fun , trust me ??

Yeah my parents wouldn’t let me get another dog but I’ll get one one day hopefully 

12 minutes ago, _Lewis_ said:

Yeah my parents wouldn’t let me get another dog but I’ll get one one day hopefully 

Do u take the vizla u mentioned with u ferreting?? I’d imagine it could be handy around a warren , using its nose marking holes etc, probs nab a few as they bolt ?

• Like 1