Bit of advice barble rods and reels

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get hung up on rod choice. I fish for barbel with anything from a 1lb tc 10 foot cane rod to a Travel Avon to a 12 foot 2lb tc carbon rod. The fish don't know or care what you are using.

It all depends on the river too as Danny will tell you if your fishing winter an fast flowing rivers like the trent near me you'll be wanting something decent that can hold bottom an punch a decent fe

If you ard fishng the Yorkshire and Lancashire rivers then a 1.75lb tc and 4000 reel will be fine. They are snaggy so you need breakaway clips on the feeder or lead and a tough hook length. Look for t

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

You can put bait alarms on a tripod,set of tall snag bars?,sit back then fish into the dark... little tip , make sure your rod butts are  clipped in .. they will hit you in the chops when you get a run otherwise ? good luck ,get out and get amongst them,show us some pictures ??

??? prob catch a few trees before a few fish been a while since I've river fished 

5 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

I'll prob fish the ribble first mate to get feel for it 

I’m using 11ft 2 lb free spirit barbel tamers on the ribble with 6000 xtrb baitrunners , I’ve got 4000’s aswell and i used them for a while but prefer the bigger size . It can be double snaggy on there so if you use feeders try and get the triangle shape korum river feeders because they will kite up to the surface and away from trouble on the retrieve . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

You can put bait alarms on a tripod,set of tall snag bars?,sit back then fish into the dark... little tip , make sure your rod butts are  clipped in .. they will hit you in the chops when you get a run otherwise ? good luck ,get out and get amongst them,show us some pictures ??

He's saying from experience lol Them Cup butt's are big on the korum tripod lol. I don't use them anymore a clip the feckers in 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Had my wee cheap tripod that somebody gave me years back for a day sea fishing pulled right in water 3 times couple weeks ago mate, twice by them big bull headed bream that fight like a wet sock after there savage bite ? an agajn off a decent barbel an I was sat right on top of them, so decent pod an I’ll be tie in it down now aswell for future ??? it was exciting tho. Can’t deny it but one minute of a lapse kn concentration mate an iv had lost my rods?

? I've seen a few go in over the yrs.....couple of hundred notes gone just like that? my mate lost one few seasons ago...river was right up,had a run,not quick enough,burnt his balls with his tea?..tipped up,set up next to the miserable  looking cnut and dropped it in the margins... Had a fish almost instantly...when we netted it ,there was another line tangled...started hand lining it in and it was my mate Kev's rod ..with a fat chub still on it???

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv always got carp rods in me hold-all but not needed em yet, was at Trent a while back tho after a good rain an lads where using 8oz grippers out in flow, I used 4 oz in margins an was still getting knocked about a bit, wierd river the Trent compared to our spate rivers, an it’s always a bit warmers I’m sure 

Kelham Hall is a good place for it being abit slower moving but only abit. Some nice fish too. You can fish it for 10 quid 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

It’s huge, I was brought up within spitting distance of shop an stil got family less than a mile away ? was In there on Tuesday an blew me whack, back up next week an I’ll ask wife for more pocket money for them aswell??

My aunt lived in Glasgow used to go that barrows market with her family from Stirling area I lived in Killin so used to fish the lochy and dochart but that was on the fly

14 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

If you ard fishng the Yorkshire and Lancashire rivers then a 1.75lb tc and 4000 reel will be fine. They are snaggy so you need breakaway clips on the feeder or lead and a tough hook length. Look for the seams where slow water borders faster water, or deeper gullies. Barbel will be found in diifferent places to river carp. Outside of bends rather than the inside. 

Be okay on wharfe at Boston spar for him nice an steady. But last year fecking otters were about up an down ? 

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, neil r said:

I’m using 11ft 2 lb free spirit barbel tamers on the ribble with 6000 xtrb baitrunners , I’ve got 4000’s aswell and i used them for a while but prefer the bigger size . It can be double snaggy on there so if you use feeders try and get the triangle shape korum river feeders because they will kite up to the surface and away from trouble on the retrieve . 

Cheers mate im sure my other club has some river stretches local aswel but I'll have to look which streches

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Read lot good things about them free spirit rods on other barbel site, I wanna feel a them, if I like them I think I’ll try get a pair or them other ones I think they called torrix, won’t be for while yet tho.

They are properly light but to honest I’m thinking of replacing them with torrix’s 

5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

? I've seen a few go in over the yrs.....couple of hundred notes gone just like that? my mate lost one few seasons ago...river was right up,had a run,not quick enough,burnt his balls with his tea?..tipped up,set up next to the miserable  looking cnut and dropped it in the margins... Had a fish almost instantly...when we netted it ,there was another line tangled...started hand lining it in and it was my mate Kev's rod ..with a fat chub still on it???

Lucky fecker so got his rod back 

16 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

If you ard fishng the Yorkshire and Lancashire rivers then a 1.75lb tc and 4000 reel will be fine. They are snaggy so you need breakaway clips on the feeder or lead and a tough hook length. Look for the seams where slow water borders faster water, or deeper gullies. Barbel will be found in diifferent places to river carp. Outside of bends rather than the inside. 

Cheers mate and will be Yorkshire lancashire rivers mostly to start anyway as can go just for few hours or aslong as want rather than having to travel hours for the carp

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Bobs island aswell, drive right into peg. Fish can be found in margins, flow, back water, there’s a fe me diff types of swim for rolling bait, sat on feeder or even roving about, gets busy tho so best take a day off an go during week, there’s a few spots down that area an deffo good fish to be had ?

Near m1 pits aswel good few nights there I've had with lads can't beat it 

1 minute ago, Councilestatekid said:

Cheers mate im sure my other club has some river stretches local aswel but I'll have to look which streches

Which club are you in . Prince albert control a lot of the lower river and radac have a few stretches too . Wigan/st Helen’s share elston and there’s day tickets on woodcutters farm in ribchester , radacs ribchester front , the tickled trout/ gregsons farm by the m6 and below half penny bridge down to London road bridge is free on the right bank .