Bit of advice barble rods and reels

I'm looking to buy a couple of rods for barble fishing. I like my wychwood rods for carp and prefer my 10fts to my 12ft rods at most places and have no problem hitting most distances with these so fishing a river id like to go the 10ft route aswel as wouldn't be casting silly distances. So my question is what's a good rod for the barble and I use big pit reels for the carp and wouldn't need these I should imagine so a good reel to go with the rod set up with a nice smooth action any advice would be appreciated cheers 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't get hung up on rod choice. I fish for barbel with anything from a 1lb tc 10 foot cane rod to a Travel Avon to a 12 foot 2lb tc carbon rod. The fish don't know or care what you are using.

It all depends on the river too as Danny will tell you if your fishing winter an fast flowing rivers like the trent near me you'll be wanting something decent that can hold bottom an punch a decent fe

If you ard fishng the Yorkshire and Lancashire rivers then a 1.75lb tc and 4000 reel will be fine. They are snaggy so you need breakaway clips on the feeder or lead and a tough hook length. Look for t

Posted Images

I was thinking swim feeders and gripper leads I was thinking rods around the 1.75-2 and are the barble rods just same as the carp rods I havnt really looked into it never thought about fishing for them to be honest but thought I'd give it a go gives me a change from the carp as I used to fly on the rivers and makes a nice change than just sat round a lake

Where and how are you intending to fish? There is a world of difference between hurling 6oz feeders to the middle of the Tidal Trent or Severn or fishing the little rivers using small PVA bags or catapults.

I've had the greys prodigy's,wynchwood rougues,all do the job...fox duo lites up until 3 seasons ago....superb rods in all fairness,caught all manner of different species with em...Im using korum twintips now, with the 1.75 lb and 2.2 lb tips so cover most things,can't fault them,on par with the duo lites...for reels I've always fished off the clutch,used abu ultracast 6000 for yrs..sold a pair and matching duo lite rods to my mate for £120...I'm currently using  Shimano ultgra 5500 xtc's and to be honest I preferred my old reels...I'm still in tune to the Abu's lol,there's loads of entry level barbel rods but I wouldn't personally go below 1.75 lb test curve,the old  Shimano catannas are cracking if you can find them and also the old green tf gear delux barbel rods,my mate has a pair and I've played a couple of fish in them,really liked them tbf..length wise unless you're fishing tiny snaggy rivers I'd stick with 12 footers...reason being you fish with your rods yo in the air like beach casting?..a decent tripod is worth investing in,I was sent the korum mk 1 double tripod to test many ,many moons ago... prefer that to the new improved ??

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Where and how are you intending to fish? There is a world of difference between hurling 6oz feeders to the middle of the Tidal Trent or Severn or fishing the little rivers using small PVA bags or catapults.

I think to start with it will just be the local rivers mate so not the big tidal places

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Korum tripod, Korum travel pod, or that prolog sky pod thingy, what ye reckon best? Ye had a shot or know anybody with the travel version of Korum one, keep looking at the normal Korum one but the reviews all say that sky pod one is better but it looks bulky for what i do an o not a lover of bank sticks, atleast not more than half the time 

Korum do 2,1 is the smaller travel tripod,the other mk 2 river tripod,both a lot smaller than those sky pods Don..I use one like this if you can find one,had it 10 yrs ,lighter than anything about today?Screenshot_20211021-193137.png.38d27281af63b045980528bb2716491c.png

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv fishes a few from the swale to middle Trent with mine, you will fish the margins mostly an slack water so there’s no big casts an no space for big casts most time of your rivers anything like ones I been fishing, but sometimes after a flood you may need to step up the lead to hold flow or your choices are limited

I'll prob fish the ribble first mate to get feel for it 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye iv saw both Korum ones the travel an the normal not on the bank tho only the shop ?  gonna grab one this week when I’m back up Glasgow as there angling centre got some cracking deals if you pop in, prob go with the normal sized one, the travel one is tempting tho? think I’ll miss that sky pod out o don’t fish big open waters an I think my carp pod might extend like that anyways I’d ever needed ?

That Glasgow angling centre cracking place got my carp rods from there couldn't find them cheaper 

If you ard fishng the Yorkshire and Lancashire rivers then a 1.75lb tc and 4000 reel will be fine. They are snaggy so you need breakaway clips on the feeder or lead and a tough hook length. Look for the seams where slow water borders faster water, or deeper gullies. Barbel will be found in diifferent places to river carp. Outside of bends rather than the inside. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

12 foot deffo handier,  bit tighter around over grown swims but the control is much better an I’m sure the extra couple foot had stopped me from having stuck in margin snags ?

Yea ill go 12ft route ive only had my 12ft carp rods out about 3 times in 2 years bought a couple of 10fts and love them for the carp

2 minutes ago, Councilestatekid said:

Cheers dc for advise I'll go the 12ft route and have a look at a few you have mentioned and the tripod was on the radar as I've noticed on a few of your pics rod tips up 

You can put bait alarms on a tripod,set of tall snag bars?,sit back then fish into the dark... little tip , make sure your rod butts are  clipped in .. they will hit you in the chops when you get a run otherwise ? good luck ,get out and get amongst them,show us some pictures ??

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Go somewhere that holds a few to start with pal, I started local an was getting a fish or 2 is I was lucky every 8/10 trips? getting bit better now tho but only cos iv sort of found the fish haha went to Trent tho an tbh you couldn’t miss them, but gave lot confidence in me rigs am set ups after so many blanks ?

The ribble isn't far and ill be going with a lad who fishes it he's had a few nice ones out

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye iv saw both Korum ones the travel an the normal not on the bank tho only the shop ?  gonna grab one this week when I’m back up Glasgow as there angling centre got some cracking deals if you pop in, prob go with the normal sized one, the travel one is tempting tho? think I’ll miss that sky pod out o don’t fish big open waters an I think my carp pod might extend like that anyways I’d ever needed ?

Them sky pods are what you see them using on the  Ebro...for monster pussies...??

• Like 1