Favourite squirrel gun??

3 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Can't you use wheat.  Borrow some from a pheasant feeder ?

I could, depends where the squirrel feeders are. If they’re on one of the shoots there’s pheasant feeders aplenty so wheat doesn’t have the draw. In some of my woodland wheat will be ok in winter, plenty of beechmast about at the moment though.

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well when you've shot out all the dreys , where I was were lots of hollow oaks or oaks with holes where the squirrels would reside , enter a ferret and no ifs or buts the squirrels would shoot straigh

I think I've shot about 300 squirrels this year so far. I've shot them with air rifle,  lr, hmr, flint and caplock, 410muffpower and a 12gmuffpower. In all honesty, the muffpowers (not got t

Time & a place for those kind of things dog... and that's not whilst the missus is out at the park with a mums & baby group!! ??

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Yerr, they were eating me out of peanuts after two days on the last feeder I set up. What are you using in feeders Ian? The peanuts definitely pull them in, but not the cheapest.

Peanuts, my mate gets them from a wholesale place. They can't resist peanuts, they soon find them and every squirrel in the neighbourhood comes for a feed.

• Like 1

When I was into shooting and killing squirrels pretty much every day it was mostly an over and under 12 with a .410 adapter for first shot, alongside using airguns, .410s , ferrets, fenn mk4s , cage traps and a squirrel dog, aka terrier lol. Good sport but you have to be fairly determined to reduce numbers to the point of emptying an area. 

28 minutes ago, Borr said:

When I was into shooting and killing squirrels pretty much every day it was mostly an over and under 12 with a .410 adapter for first shot, alongside using airguns, .410s , ferrets, fenn mk4s , cage traps and a squirrel dog, aka terrier lol. Good sport but you have to be fairly determined to reduce numbers to the point of emptying an area. 

How do ferrets help with squirrels?

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, ianm said:

How do ferrets help with squirrels?

Well when you've shot out all the dreys , where I was were lots of hollow oaks or oaks with holes where the squirrels would reside , enter a ferret and no ifs or buts the squirrels would shoot straight to the top branches where I'd dispatch with a gun. I probably bolted a dozen squirrels from a favourite tree...? Had a Hob that used to follow me through the woods like a dog, he was too big for bolting but was a bugger for climbing trees had a few hairy moments preparing myself to catch him on his decent , he only went stupidly high twice I think.

Edited by Borr
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

I've had a couple out of hollow oak trees , in fact last week I clipped one and it went into a hollow so I got a stick and poked inside and the squirrel shot out sharpish but I managed to bag it.

When I was a teenager I would climb a tree to try and stab a dreyed squirrel! Had a few run on me! Never did get one like that ?

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

When I was a teenager I would climb a tree to try and stab a dreyed squirrel! Had a few run on me! Never did get one like that ?

I picked up a poison tub other week forgetting to kick it first - yep fecking rat bolted out right over my arm! ? 

• Haha 2