Kennel advice

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

Nice set up, did you make sleep boxes yourself bud ,,

I make everything my self mate,I was going to buy them plastic insulated boxes but not at £300 each.So I made my own and only cos £63 a box I had the insulation all ready.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here’s mine mate all insulated but it’s shed and kennels and I put a concrete base in with drains,I went for the barrow service and it’s 18ft by 10ft 6inch deep on pin kerbs.It was all done in an hour

I just done a shed base 2 meters by 3.6 with a ton bad 8 bags a cement 100 quid by hand ? 

Definitely sort a drain first. even if it’s a ‘ soak away ‘…. You  can pick shite up but water has to go somewhere. id definitely put a concrete base in…. Bit of time but well worth the

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I make everything my self mate,I was going to buy them plastic insulated boxes but not at £300 each.So I made my own and only cos £63 a box I had the insulation all ready.

Looks a great job bud ,I was looking for 2 for me runners but not paying silly money . Think I'll give it a go and make me own ,what size are yours and did you use marina ply .

I used 3/4 inch marine ply for the outside then fitted the 2inch insulation then lined it out with 1/2 marine ply mate.They are 3x2x2 for my borders.I got sick of them in the house that’s why I’ve insulated the shed and kennels,so even if it dropped to -50 the wife isn’t bringing them back in the house?.If you look on the back wall of the middle kennel there’s even a heater up there.

20 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I used 3/4 inch marine ply for the outside then fitted the 2inch insulation then lined it out with 1/2 marine ply mate.They are 3x2x2 for my borders.I got sick of them in the house that’s why I’ve insulated the shed and kennels,so even if it dropped to -50 the wife isn’t bringing them back in the house?.If you look on the back wall of the middle kennel there’s even a heater up there.

You can get 2mm hygienic plastic cladding 20quid a sheet mate be washable last a lifetime ?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, TonyT said:

Definitely sort a drain first.

even if it’s a ‘ soak away ‘…. You 

can pick shite up but water has to go somewhere.

id definitely put a concrete base in…. Bit of time but well worth the trouble .

when it’s freezing cold and you’re in from work …. In the dark …easy clean is good ?

ATB … Tony

Thats the best advice you could give imo. Good kennels depend on good drains.

• Like 3

Always see lads going on about concrete soaking up piss and stinking.Do these same lads never walk their dogs or wash their kennels out.Mine very very rarely ever piss in their kennels or yard full stop for that matter as the know they get walked twice a day so hold it till they go out.But even if I have had a dirty one over the years a quick swill out twice a day and a disinfect twice a week and I never gotany smell.Also mKe sure your concrete is knocked up strong enough and got a good troweled finish on it.Also soakaways are ok if you have some way of putting some kind of trap with a removable fine gauze filter before the actual soakaway as its surprisingl how quickly the block with dog hair.

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Always see lads going on about concrete soaking up piss and stinking.Do these same lads never walk their dogs or wash their kennels out.Mine very very rarely ever piss in their kennels or yard full stop for that matter as the know they get walked twice a day so hold it till they go out.But even if I have had a dirty one over the years a quick swill out twice a day and a disinfect twice a week and I never gotany smell.Also mKe sure your concrete is knocked up strong enough and got a good troweled finish on it.Also soakaways are ok if you have some way of putting some kind of trap with a removable fine gauze filter before the actual soakaway as its surprisingl how quickly the block with dog hair.

Your right about the dog hair in soak away, I never put a filter in mine regret it now it blocks up regular now so going to have to dig it up and put right. 

I thought it might have been the water table but it drains down after a few hours

8 minutes ago, dogmad riley said:

Your right about the dog hair in soak away, I never put a filter in mine regret it now it blocks up regular now so going to have to dig it up and put right. 

I thought it might have been the water table but it drains down after a few hours

My pal had the same problem as he had to put a soakaway in as he never had access to mains drainage.Dug his soakaway up numerouse times to find it completely blocked where the pipe joined the hardcore.In the end we fitted a small plastic inspection chamber a few feet back from the soakaway and he had a small cylinder made from ultrafine perforated metal sheet which fitted into the outlet of the chamber.Every couple of days hed just clean all the hair out of the manhole and remove the cylinder filter and bang it out and give it a wash.Never had a problem after that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, downsouth said:

I find same thing if you walk them enough they generally try and hold themselves until you let them out see alot of people just walk by pens with shit in them aswell if its there pick it up imo

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, C.green said:

I find same thing if you walk them enough they generally try and hold themselves until you let them out see alot of people just walk by pens with shit in them aswell if its there pick it up imo

Yep.I dont have kennels as such anymore as I only have the 2 bandogs and my girls dachshund that live on a 18x10 cocrete yard at the back of the house thats fenced separately from the rest of the garden.I probably only wash down and disinfect once a week the rest of the time I just tip there water buckets out daily.No smell of piss but then I honestly cant remember the last time I had to pick a shit up or wash a piss stain away because I walk them as soon as I get up and they know theyll be out again as soon as I get back from work.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Yep.I dont have kennels as such anymore as I only have the 2 bandogs and my girls dachshund that live on a 18x10 cocrete yard at the back of the house thats fenced separately from the rest of the garden.I probably only wash down and disinfect once a week the rest of the time I just tip there water buckets out daily.No smell of piss but then I honestly cant remember the last time I had to pick a shit up or wash a piss stain away because I walk them as soon as I get up and they know theyll be out again as soon as I get back from work.

mine the same, in fact   Buck my big 1x gsd x grey  lurcher only ever shits in the compound = run if he got the  bad gut, he dont even piss in the run, he waits till i take him out for a walk, and got to be off the lead as well, ive walked the fecker 1/2 hour on the lead , and wont do nothing, slip his lead, and go right away, i not complaining  really, as i never have clean the run , old bryn started to get bit dirty  this last  5 months , he dont hold him self so much now , mind he is 14 now, so get them out earlier . over the years , it caused few rows , gone out for the day , and want to get back ,  so i can take the dogs out so they can empty out, wife says bloody hell there outside in kennels/run , i say i know but they hold there selves till i take them, thats how it is ! 

• Like 3