Talking Of Rats ...

Lifetime ago now, I read a piece in the Shooting Times. I can't remember, now, if it was written as a first hand experience, or what. Doesn't matter. The writer either was, or knew someone who was a youngster, back when harvest time mean't hay stacks.

Anyway, he met a rat catcher who was working this farm and somehow or other was in possession of a sack of live rats.

Blah, blah, blah. Important bit is that this guy (The rat catcher) must have stuck his hand in the sack and pulled out a rat or two! Obviously, the writer was stunned and asked him, 'WTF?!' To which the rat catcher told him ~ and these are the words that have stuck with me ever since:

" You'll never get bitten till the last one's left in there. And you shake him out! " :icon_eek:

Anyone else ever read that? Heard of such a thing?! I'd pay fukking good money, to watch some kunt try reaching into a sack of live rats and ucking them out, one after another!!! :spiteful:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

" Revenge " is a real tricky thing to sort out in your own mind as you either have to fully commit to it or walk away theres no half measures......to take true revenge the person has to know where its

Only ever seen the one example of a genuine Black Rat... That was many years ago in London's Dockland.. the rodent was incredibly agile and it was walking along a roof beam, in the Old Bonded Wa

If he was the type to do anything he wouldn’t let his daughter be shacked up with a total shitcunt like that in the first place.  And she should know better too, it breaks me this kind of stuff, peo

Posted Images

Think I read that in a book somewhere not ST.

Have you seen the bloke who hunts with mink....he grabs em for fun. Are they just soft yank rats? Apparently him and plummer can do it. I try it once and look like a cnut. 

Need to do some more research. 

@Wolfdog91can you try and catch a yank rat for us in the name of research? 

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Have you seen the bloke who hunts with mink....he grabs em for fun. Are they just soft yank rats? Apparently him and plummer can do it. I try it once and look like a cnut. 

Joseph carter the mink man, he gets on here, he picks rats up as natural as you like, hands down holes the lot, watched a few of his vids, he's a naturalist, cracking fella

35 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Here two small ones ? and hell no I'm not grabbing em 

IMG_20210725_132157896.jpg

• Haha 1

A story I was told by an old boy when I was a young kid was of an old woman on some sort of sorting line and if a rat came down the shoot she'd grab it and bite it's neck , who knows .... I've took them off the dog alive with gloves on that's as intimate as I'd care to get with a rat tbh...

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Wolfie; Those rats look a tad weird, to me.

Maybe it's the angle? But, their faces look a bit pointy and their ears a bit big. Now I look again? Tails seem inordinately long and thin too :hmm:

Could they be 'roof rats'?

Them tails! I see what you mean. 

Maybe different from our brown rats and the other once we once had. 

You ever seen a black rat @Ken's Deputy

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Wolfie; Those rats look a tad weird, to me.

Maybe it's the angle? But, their faces look a bit pointy and their ears a bit big. Now I look again? Tails seem inordinately long and thin too :hmm:

Could they be 'roof rats'?

There are barn rats what y'all have are the Norwegian warf rats if I'm correct I have noticed the tails in the smaller ones are stupid long for some reason

IMG_20210724_122821230.jpg

My old mate who I used to do the allotment with Gav RIP told me of a time he was visiting a person he knew, and as they sat around the dining table a rat came in and jumped up on the table, and she pushed it aside, I know we've lived alongside them in close proximity and they're very personable, apparently they've got the IQ of a 7 year old human, I reside in a dilapidated property, Paul next door had the rapid response, fire brigade, and soy boy pizza slice police out courtesy of including a pressurised canister on his garden fire thus inciting a resident into reporting an explosion akin to a Sunday afternoon Tyneside act of terrorism and recently as I scraped the whiskers a jakey appeared under the panel less bath and gave me a good chance to study him sniffing away apparently their eyesight is poor, not surprising as they live in pipes etc, I've trapped 4 two of which were baby greys the young Un's in the break backs, and the adults in the live catch, one of the adults screamed the place down as I opened the door of the shotgun shack, corroded S410 in hand

44 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

You ever seen a black rat @Ken's Deputy?

Never in the flesh, mate. One of the great dips of my life, I must say.

Do remember seeing them advertised in the Exchange & Mart though! :boogy:Seriously!  Along with the usual, mundane, lion and cougar cubs. There was also Harvest Mice and Red Squirrels!

Wolfie; I always figured what you guys call " Barn Rats " are Rattus norvegicus. We just call them Brown Rats. 99.9% of references we'd make to 'rats' would be them.

Rattus rattus has a whole host of names. We generally call them " Black Rats ". I believe they're called " Roof Rats ", in US? Some parts of the world, they even live up in trees and are fond of citrus fruits.

We have the tree rat over here , very much like the brown rat at home just a bit smaller .My brothers new terrier caught his first one last week almost by accident , two of them were fighting on the top of a wall and ended up falling at the pups feet , he investigated them and got nipped , all that did was flip a switch and he grabbed it and shook the granny out of it , he spends hours now pacing up and down the garden looking for them , he as also taken to killing large insects for some reason ..difficult to fathom the brain of a terrier .

• Haha 3