what do you use at your shooting clubs to attach targets ?

19 hours ago, .357shooter said:

cheers for the info but should of said targets need to be at shoulder height for fall of shot into sand(when shooting standing) and no metal is allowed because of ricochets.the range itself has a horse path not 15 yards to the left of it.

Surprised they allow that unless you have built a high mound along the boundary.

I know of an army range further North that was shut down because there was a public footpath maybe a 1/2 mile to the back of it and a road a few hundred yards to the side, I'd say the road a good hundred feet above target height and the footpath in the distant background a good 200 -300 feet above! It would take a hell of a miss to get either and I severely doubt a ricochet could reach either, but the proximity meant they closed it down as unsafe after using it safely since before WW1.

I googled some pictures. This was the backstop:

1473446_e96a929a17e909695bb79f02fe7ff0ba

A club I was a member of years ago used to use wooden clothes pegs to attach the targets to the frame. The club secretary used to go mad when his 2p clothes pegs got shot which obviously made them a go-to target from then on. :laugh:

57 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Surprised they allow that unless you have built a high mound along the boundary.

I know of an army range further North that was shut down because there was a public footpath maybe a 1/2 mile to the back of it and a road a few hundred yards to the side, I'd say the road a good hundred feet above target height and the footpath in the distant background a good 200 -300 feet above! It would take a hell of a miss to get either and I severely doubt a ricochet could reach either, but the proximity meant they closed it down as unsafe after using it safely since before WW1.

I googled some pictures. This was the backstop:

1473446_e96a929a17e909695bb79f02fe7ff0ba

You don't want to be sticking your butt up in the air while poking around in the butt's!

• Haha 1