How long to wait

Lewis. Ask the old timers about 2 holers. One in, one out. Your young ferrets will encounter something that can’t go anywhere but to your net. If they don’t you just move on. The beauty is that they are learning, as in junior school, little ata time. When we encounter 10 or more holes it is not unusual to enter 3 well skilled ferrets. Also, when you enter a young ferret, I assume. With a locator collar on, do you scan to find out what they are doing? Often you will find them either lying still or scratching away like demons on the side of the burrow. I’m not sure about the feeding aspect to get them going as I have always had learned ferrets which the young ones would follow. OMO. JOK.

• Like 1

As said get your ferret a decent run to get fit, give them a feed , and try some small warrens , the more you get out the more you'll both pick up , woodland can be decent for small places but you may have a wait on if they do lie up, but if they're fit and active they should get into it...

• Like 1

Lewis. Somewhere on here there are some great footage of ferrets working underground but with camera attached. The lad is in the Scottish Borders and he has posted incredible footage which will definitely give you inspiration. If you can’t find it, have a word with Admin and I’m sure they’ll help. Happy hunting pal. Jok.

• Like 1

Wee need to teach the young generation and guide them through their ruts where I live I am the youngest one that ferrets and I am 50. Keep at it it’s in the ferrets blood to hunt they will switch on and get that catch. It’s great to see everyone on this post is more then happy to help with advice too all well done. 

• Like 2
On 17/10/2021 at 15:52, _Lewis_ said:

I went ferreting for a couple hours and I found 10 holes in the middle of a field with fresh droppings and they were fresh holes and I let my 2 hobs run through there for a good 45 minutes with nothing.And later there was a field with short grass in because the rabbits had been eating it all and droppings everywhere, and up in some Gorse and some trees that weren’t too thick there was quite a lot of holes and droppings so I netted one set of holes that looked fresh, nothing so I netted another lot of holes but still nothing. Were there no rabbits home or are my ferrets not bolting them? Because the 10 holes in the middle of a field looked really promising but apparently not

Brilliant advice from everyone. Keep trying!

Don't  just stick the easy-looking burrows though . If the rabbit population is low they have plenty of choice where to  acually lay-up . 

They may be investigating or playing around the lovely open burrows but actually lodging in holes that offer more cover. 

If you are going shooting with the farmer it is likely some rabbit control is already happening.  The easily spotted ones in open fields may have already been creamed-off. At least if you go out a night with the farmer you'll get an idea of where the rabbits run to. This'll give you an idea of where to ferret.

You might have to be brave and battle through hedge bottoms and brambles before you find the bunnies.

Good luck; it will happen!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

It would be nice if someone local could even loan this young lad a seasoned ferret . Get the ball rolling so to speak . And lewis , with every mistake and blank . Your still learning something.  Trial and error young man . And as has been said . You will be on top of the world when all your efforts come good 

• Like 2