How long to wait

I went ferreting for a couple hours and I found 10 holes in the middle of a field with fresh droppings and they were fresh holes and I let my 2 hobs run through there for a good 45 minutes with nothing.And later there was a field with short grass in because the rabbits had been eating it all and droppings everywhere, and up in some Gorse and some trees that weren’t too thick there was quite a lot of holes and droppings so I netted one set of holes that looked fresh, nothing so I netted another lot of holes but still nothing. Were there no rabbits home or are my ferrets not bolting them? Because the 10 holes in the middle of a field looked really promising but apparently not

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Most prob your round ferrets mate, forget the nets an trying to catch a rabbit for now an concentrate on getting your hobs switched on, do you drive, you need a freshly killed rabbit or somebody with a working ferret to help switch them on, do you feed rabbits to them?

The farm that I went to today I’m going shooting there with the farmer Friday night so I’ll have some rabbits then but they’ve eaten fresh rabbit roadkill and I don’t drive because I’m 16 

7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Get them eating it as fresh as possible and keep trying them, try them one at a time so the not distracting each other, an in a perfect world you’d try find somewhere where you can see the rabbits hop in hole as you get there then the scent should be real nice an fresh if you out hob In same hole, they only young tho don’t load heart they will pick it up 

Ok I’ll try and get them eating fresh rabbits and I’ll keep trying them and I’ll see how they do.So what happens now when they’re young and don’t know what they’re doing when they meet a rabbit in a hole? Do they ignore it or haven’t they got the power to get it to bolt or something because you’d think ferrets running through rabbit holes would send the rabbits out 

19 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Chances are the rabbits know your there, your young, keen, an also netting up, so they will already be at the deepest safest part of there Warren by time you enter the ferrets, with there heads stuck in the end of the tunnel and there arses sticking out towards the ferret, if your ferrets are away a while then check there claws when they come out we you’ll soon know if they have been scratching at the back of the rabbit, a young ferret might not find the rabbits but even if he do he might be a bit unsure of it sk an have a couple scratches an move on, if you hear the tell tale noises that the ferret had made contact with the rabbit then that’s when you check with locator and dig, if ferrets away a while also check with locator an take note of it he always in it goes back to same place, dig there

ignore the nets get a few bolted first them worry about netting them, don’t worry tho slowly slowly catch the monkey ??

Ok thank you,I’ll keep trying them and I’ll feed them fresh rabbit and I’ll see how they get on 

That's the joy of ferreting and it can be frustrating to someone just learning the ropes  seeing  decent looking holes all  freshly dug out and signs of activity everywhere to find nothing at home.eeve all been there The rabbits might have been deeper than your ferrets were going , with them being inexperienced and just learning the ropes like yourself you will all get there in the end the more you go out  ?.Like it's been said get out with someone if you can if you were up here you,d be more than welcome to come out with us for a few hours .

• Like 1

Rabbits need very little cover to sit out as well. If you know of a long thick hedge it can be worth walking across the field to a point in the hedge you set a couple of nets on the runs. Then walk back out in to the field and go the end and just walk down it tapping it with a stick.

netting.jpg.f644acbab0bbbf14237a6cdad3f01e1a.jpg

I think your biggest issue will be rabbits sitting out. So it can be worth just walking around and beating any cover. Also holes in fields in that area rarely hold rabbits. 
Another thing to watch is the holes with rabbits in will the be the unlikely ones tucked away. They won't be dug out fresh and may have leaves around them but you will notice no cobwebs on them on the inside they just have a look about them.

netting2.jpg.af92a7f395a758362a5ba1b05f3b8882.jpg

Keep at it you will get there and one hard worn rabbit is worth twenty easy ones.

Oh and if you would like a 5 yard stop net drop me a pm and I will pop one in the post. Can be handy for beating little bits of cover when you know  a rabbit is going to nip across a gap or some thing

Edited by terryd
  • Like 9

Dont know what's happening on the forum. Another thread with great advice ?. It can be frustrating but keep the faith with yourself and your hobs as you are both learning. If you can find small shallow buries that's easier for young ferrets and has been said, don't worry about netting initially, less noise from you the better. I got my first ferrets in 1979 and can honestly say I've never had a useless one. Yes some are better than others and some take several outings to get it but all from working stock can do a job and whether hobs or Jill's. 

If nothing bolts check their claws for signs of rabbit fur. Chances are the rabbits are sat tight

One aspect not mentioned is it helps if ferrets are fit. If they don't have a run can you build one? Maybe you know someone with a small greenhouse they can run in? Or harness and lead so you can walk them? The advantage there is more people see you and may help when inevitably one gets out. (That reminds me, only dogs that are properly introduced to ferrets are safe with them, )

Last from me on hobs is that most will get good, yours will get good....downside is that by 2nd season my hobs typically will kill or stay with rabbits underground every outing. You need a locator and a good spade or be prepared to wait hours. 

Best wishes in your ferreting forays

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s a shame you don’t live in the great land of down under Australia, I would be more then happy to take you out. You are on a great forum and their is plenty you can learn from . I have not had any problems with my young ones when I first take them out but I always worked them with their mother who is a 3 year old , great family pet but a fantastic hunter. As time goes on you will learn lots some by trial and error and  from here. DON’ T give up you will get their , in saying that long term you may start breading them and work through the proses and end up with some fantastic workers and learn how to rotate stock. Good luck and keep up bud .

• Like 1
On 18/10/2021 at 20:33, Luckee legs said:

Dont know what's happening on the forum. Another thread with great advice ?

2 hours ago, _Lewis_ said:

Thanks everyone so much for the advice I read and take in everything and every post is helping me thanks so much

Get some real ferrets and wait until your balls drop ?. Only joking young fella, just keep going out and the young ferrets will catch on and not look back. ?

• Like 1

Like been said just keep going out and running them threw the holes that look used and at first they won't spend much time below but just run in and then out making you think nothing at home but they will be lucky at some point  and bump into a coney sooner or later and it will bolt or ferret will stay with it and once it clicks they will go deeper to find  , I remember thinking my first ferret was no good as same happened to me but she became great worker .a dog is a great help when ferreting but like anything it takes time to learn and that goes for you and your team .

Don't give up as it will work out just keep at it .

Atvb mooch 

• Like 3
On 17/10/2021 at 15:52, _Lewis_ said:

I went ferreting for a couple hours and I found 10 holes in the middle of a field with fresh droppings and they were fresh holes and I let my 2 hobs run through there for a good 45 minutes with nothing.And later there was a field with short grass in because the rabbits had been eating it all and droppings everywhere, and up in some Gorse and some trees that weren’t too thick there was quite a lot of holes and droppings so I netted one set of holes that looked fresh, nothing so I netted another lot of holes but still nothing. Were there no rabbits home or are my ferrets not bolting them? Because the 10 holes in the middle of a field looked really promising but apparently not

What area you live in bud