Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

6 hours ago, WILF said:

There’s a lad called Clive Bright near me, he rears 100% organic grass fed beef and sells directly in a box scheme.

Its €14 a kilo no matter what cut and he is sold out all the time.

I did a farm walk there with him and it’s a cracking set up, everything aimed at building up nature, adding bio diversity, making the cattle and the land work with each other.

He has planted mixed swords, trees, created ponds.

He works a mob grazing system and moves them once or twice a day.

Its fantastic 

Heard of that lad….know another few lads up your way doing….strokestown….UCD doing a lot of research into it at Lyons Estate….if you ever get a chance to go there jump at it….

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, VOON said:

Heard of that lad….know another few lads up your way doing….strokestown….UCD doing a lot of research into it at Lyons Estate….if you ever get a chance to go there jump at it….

There’s a lad doing veg at Strokestown called Jacob, really like the look of what he is doing.

Theres also Drumnilra Farm who are about to open Irelands first organic drive through in the old KFC at Carrick.

They raise all their own Dexter beef, grow the veg, bacon, everything.

Theres a lot of exciting stuff happening in that way over here.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
On 16/10/2021 at 19:19, WILF said:

There’s a lad doing veg at Strokestown called Jacob, really like the look of what he is doing.

Theres also Drumnilra Farm who are about to open Irelands first organic drive through in the old KFC at Carrick.

They raise all their own Dexter beef, grow the veg, bacon, everything.

Theres a lot of exciting stuff happening in that way over here.

Is this true wilf,its america but is it done here?

3 minutes ago, Francie said:

Is this true wilf,its america but is it done here?

We would not license some of the medicines that the USA do for animal use but as far as I know mate, yes, “farmed” in exactly the same way.

1 hour ago, WILF said:

We would not license some of the medicines that the USA do for animal use but as far as I know mate, yes, “farmed” in exactly the same way.

It said in the 1930s chicken took 130  days to mature now its 45.

I need some land asap lol

43 minutes ago, Francie said:

It said in the 1930s chicken took 130  days to mature now its 45.

I need some land asap lol

This may not be exactly right but I think the farmers are getting around 40-60 pence a chicken, 37,000 at a time x 3 or 4 times a year.

Time you take out costs it works out much less than minimum wage. 

Edited by WILF
5 hours ago, WILF said:

This may not be exactly right but I think the farmers are getting around 40-60 pence a chicken, 37,000 at a time x 3 or 4 times a year.

Not worth the hassle wilf by the sounds of it.

9 hours ago, WILF said:

If you could sell a much smaller number direct to consumer on FB or alike , it might be more profitable? I think there is an increasing market for decent.meat as opposed to pumped full of water, few weeks old, pink and watery shite, Danish bacon or equivalent. The small holder groups I go on seem to be a good market place even if they can't put a direct add they can put a link to a page....

4 minutes ago, Borr said:

If you could sell a much smaller number direct to consumer on FB or alike , it might be more profitable? I think there is an increasing market for decent.meat as opposed to pumped full of water, few weeks old, pink and watery shite, Danish bacon or equivalent. The small holder groups I go on seem to be a good market place even if they can't put a direct add they can put a link to a page....

are FB still letting people sell meat. If I search lamb on the market place now a days. I see sod all just ornaments. Same for beef and even eggs 

Here in France meat from proper butchers ain't cheap, but it is very good quality. The supermarket stuff is variable. Butchers are franchisees in supermarkets, so some are brilliant and others are poor. There are labels on the produce so you can see the race and sex of the meat.  It is usually either Limousin bull or latier (milking breed) females. 

Cooked chickens are €15 each in the butchers and €3,50 in Lidl  ?

31 minutes ago, terryd said:

are FB still letting people sell meat. If I search lamb on the market place now a days. I see sod all just ornaments. Same for beef and even eggs 

Yep, may have to join local smallholder groups , or similar. Randomly just saw a post about a guy walking Britain's coast for charity and he's been robbing people along the way. Random weird FB thing I noticed, now obviously the rest of the group are hunting him down lol.

4 hours ago, Borr said:

Regulations, red tape, Brexit, Covid, ? the small man usually struggles, despite often  being the best option.

Cheers, D.

The way the price hikes and hormone injected food is going, i wouldnt be surprised if people start growing and raising their own veg and meat, be a lot healthier anyway, i rekon that the reason a lot of kids born nowadays are in some form of letter club (adhd, aspergers, autism etc etc is due to the chemicals in modern food

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

The way the price hikes and hormone injected food is going, i wouldnt be surprised if people start growing and raising their own veg and meat, be a lot healthier anyway, i rekon that the reason a lot of kids born nowadays are in some form of letter club (adhd, aspergers, autism etc etc is due to the chemicals in modern food

Cambridge university as a autism research centre that's ploughed aload of money in to the links with food and autism lem it's just one of many researchers going on and there seems to be a lot of funding for it