Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

We finish a fair bit if stock, several thousand lambs a year and around 600-700 cattle. 

The one thing you lads are underestimating is the effects the processing has on the meat. 

Butchering, hanging etc has a far greater impact on the look and taste or meat than folk give credit.

Controversial opinion - but the stuff you buy in supermarkets is largely the same as folk buy from a lot of small farms. (Excluding random rare breeds). 

• Like 5

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Wasn’t one of the eating awards won by a dairy cull cow lol

I used dairy bull calves for my last lot of veal and it was tidy, no noticeable difference between the Angus calves I used the year previous……except they were less than half the cost ! Lol 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, WILF said:

I used dairy bull calves for my last lot of veal and it was tidy, no noticeable difference between the Angus calves I used the year previous……except they were less than half the cost ! Lol 

The farmshop I've been using recently is all there own grass fed  stock, basically overspill from the dairy production and its been spot on , sure it could be  dry aged a little longer but for the money it's great value ?

Some of that award winning Spanish beef is from dairy cows 10 years +  

20210904_120751_compress97.jpg

20210904_193515_compress87.jpg

• Like 5

We finish mostly fresians, and  montbelliard, Angus and Hereford xs out of Fresians. The pure dairy’s deffo benefit from some grain, but the Angus and Hereford xs do well enough on forage. Forage fed is also not quite the same as grass fed, in that it allows you to pack more punch without grain. Permanent pasture isn’t going to finish much other than pure natives in spring and summer 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, kanny said:

The farmshop I've been using recently is all there own grass fed  stock, basically overspill from the dairy production and its been spot on , sure it could be  dry aged a little longer but for the money it's great value ?

Some of that award winning Spanish beef is from dairy cows 10 years +  

20210904_120751_compress97.jpg

20210904_193515_compress87.jpg

which one you been using kanny....Gonalston ....or clipston near cotgave

• Like 1

These are the first 2 of some that sheepchaser gave me. They've been helping clear some ground for me and never had any other feed. It'll be interesting to see what bramble fed sheep taste like. They don't have much fat on them so I will wait and see before I pass judgement 

20211010_185556.jpg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Francie said:

Lethal lads keep it coming.you reckon oats I'd the job for beefing them up wilf lol

Rolled oats are brilliant for any animal in my very limited experience mate.

I have fed it to cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry and they all did well on it.

I add in a bit of seaweed, that’s it.

But hard feed isn’t a “go to” thing for me, it’s a top up in hard weather or just to keep animals tame……they wouldn’t get it as a matter of course. 

Just now, WILF said:

Rolled oats are brilliant for any animal in my very limited experience mate.

I have fed it to cattle, sheep, pigs and poultry and they all did well on it.

I add in a bit of seaweed, that’s it.

But hard feed isn’t a “go to” thing for me, it’s a top up in hard weather or just to keep animals tame……they wouldn’t get it as a matter of course. 

Goodman wilf,what does the other farmers mostly feed?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Tyla said:

These are the first 2 of some that sheepchaser gave me. They've been helping clear some ground for me and never had any other feed. It'll be interesting to see what bramble fed sheep taste like. They don't have much fat on them so I will wait and see before I pass judgement 

20211010_185556.jpg

Be lovely I reckon.slightly diffrent but my Nan used to raise turkeys completely free range Anne always tasted better then anything else. Grazing all the berry’s etc they could find 

• Thanks 1