Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ruby Red meat which is excellent.

I have had meat from Sherberton Beef which is Belted Galloways from Dartmoor at Hexworthy. You pay the same price per kilo for best cuts and say lower cuts or mince etc. If you buy a kilo of prime steak say you have to have a kilo of mince or such like, not a bad system. Nice meat as been grazing on the moors all year mixed moorland grasses.

There are two organic out lets one very well known that send boxes of meat or veg all over the country well expensive though.

Picture of Evergreen farm stall.

223811503_4823346794345278_5571750996681853572_n.jpg.b6e8fe60cc90228d05bb47d8a38858c3.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 9

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

13 hours ago, terryd said:

are FB still letting people sell meat. If I search lamb on the market place now a days. I see sod all just ornaments. Same for beef and even eggs 

Okay so I put a post up on small holder group and have been messaged by a few offering meat boxes of local grass fed /beef/lamb etc I dare say a few will be out of price range but its easy enough....

I think there’s a lot of guilt put on people with food too.

Take a chicken, we all know it should be a score and to buy one raised exactly how a chicken should will be a score…..but most of us live in the real world and if you buy one for £4 then what you gonna do ? 

Take a house like mine with 6 mouths to feed, I’m lucky enough to be able to raise my own meat but if I couldn’t I’d be out there trying to get the best value I could for my money……especially when the likes of diesel is €1.69 and ordinary peoples burden is going up daily.

Nothing wrong with trying to do your bit and wanting real quality but there’s realism as well.

Add to that we have 2 generations of people who never got taught how to shop for a bit of grub like our grandparents did, look for cheap cuts and offal and make something of them with veg and pearl barley or whatever.

I think the biggest barrier for most people is time and money.

• Like 8

Yes definitely money, even if you find good value you have to buy a box full of meat which isn't affordable for a lot of folk, if you're on the bread line then obviously you go for cheap stuff, but I think exploring high quality meat should be encouraged , even as you say you look for cheap cuts from the butcher, maybe neck of lamb or some beef skirt, or some of the offal, god forbid lol. I like liver but I could happily leave kidney or tripe or any of that, love black pud mind and apparently there's a pig's head in my freezer but I think the dog will be getting that tbh lol. People could go beating and pickup endless amounts of pheasants for pittance if they were willing to do some prep etc. A few messages on FB etc would probably find you a rabbit supplier, I'm not doing any of this btw but have obviously sourced my own in the past, used to swap to whole birds for an oven ready and I could have as many birds as I wanted, everyone had a few pheasants that year lol.

• Like 2

I'm a great believer that food should be more expensive to improve quality and welfare but that's easy to say until you're struggling. 

Today's world seem to have greater expectations beyond what they eat, people treat phones, fags, booze, Internet, new clothes etc as if they were a human right rather than a luxury. Seen people with the latest iPhone in their hand filling trolleys with tesco value shit, I dont really get it.

I read an interesting statistic the other day. Pretty sure it said that 50 years ago food was 40% of average families budget, imagine how impossible that would be today with cost of housing and everything else. I wonder what it is now?

• Like 5
On 16/10/2021 at 13:14, kanny said:

I tried Clipstone this morning , nice little set up ? got a couple of short ribs,  they look like they are aged longer than Gonalston  stuff,  we'll see.

20211016_111804.jpg

I used to live very close to there, as you might remember. Went once, nice set-up but the lamb didn't taste any better than Morrisons so never went back. :laugh:

Take a dog and go for a walk around the forest down the lane. I've possibly spent hundreds of hours in there. You can do a decent 4 mile loop from the farm shop.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I'm a great believer that food should be more expensive to improve quality and welfare but that's easy to say until you're struggling. 

Today's world seem to have greater expectations beyond what they eat, people treat phones, fags, booze, Internet, new clothes etc as if they were a human right rather than a luxury. Seen people with the latest iPhone in their hand filling trolleys with tesco value shit, I dont really get it.

I read an interesting statistic the other day. Pretty sure it said that 50 years ago food was 40% of average families budget, imagine how impossible that would be today with cost of housing and everything else. I wonder what it is now?

I agree, most meals can be bulked out with spuds or rice pasta etc, I know from my own cooking journey learning basic sauces and having butter salt pepper to hand improves a meal no end. The health benefits of good meat are also proven , a good chicken contains far more good stuff than the mass production shite. We do eat too much as a family but it's always directed at the kids as we want them to get plenty and I'm a greedy carnivore, but as you've said we forgo the fancy cars and I phones. We also rent a very modest house atm. But it's what you prioritise in life I guess, for us it's food and days out. That said I still partake in fags booze and fuel to get out with the dogs...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borr said:

I agree, most meals can be bulked out with spuds or rice pasta etc, I know from my own cooking journey learning basic sauces and having butter salt pepper to hand improves a meal no end. The health benefits of good meat are also proven , a good chicken contains far more good stuff than the mass production shite. We do eat too much as a family but it's always directed at the kids as we want them to get plenty and I'm a greedy carnivore, but as you've said we forgo the fancy cars and I phones. We also rent a very modest house atm. But it's what you prioritise in life I guess, for us it's food and days out. That said I still partake in fags booze and fuel to get out with the dogs...

I think it's the Omega3-Omega 6 ratio. In factory farmed rapid grown stuff they have an imbalance, naturally grown birds have a balance which better suits us.

• Like 3

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money. 

We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you can fill bags full for £25. Yes I agree that a free range organic chicken is beyond the reach of alot of families, but we don't need to go over the top with organic stuff to begin eating well. Go to any big market and its full of Africans and Asians....why? Because they aren't afraid of real food. If we gave a hundred young families a raw un cooked chicken I bet at least half couldn't roast it. How many could roast it, make a dinner, strip the carcass for a pie and use what's left as the basis for soup? That's before we look at the dozens of species of cheap fish available even from a supermarket fish monger. 

During the first lockdown the supermarkets shelves were getting a bit empty, until I got to the fishermongers counter and it was as piled high as it ever is. 

People aren't hungry in the UK....they are fckin spoiled. There's a reason 'poor' areas are lined with takeaways and it isn't because they are a cheap way to eat. 

I agree organic and free range is better but non processed would be a start. The whole dealing with unprocessed food needs to be taught from a young age. I don't mean an odd 'food tech' lesson like most of us got in school but a weekly lesson that involves visiting fish mongers, butchers and grocers and learning how to prep and cook from the very basics. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

One of my perms as a stall on bury market I go through him for all my cuts of meat as dido says it's not as dear as you think I know he does me good deals but it's not a lot considering the quality . I take my lad up to the farm he lets him pick his own eggs again not much for a tray of large and most of are veg is from a farm I use to have again not a lot but fresh  my Mrs does soups from scratch oxtail ect and most meals are home made as she teaches are lad  how to cook which he loves so it's a win a win are fish is from the local fish monger unless out the freezer that I have caught but I need to get out as I haven't been out since last year and top up  plus I owe a lad a trip I haven't forgot dido 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 2

Well there's no shortage in Devon as the question I asked on FB has loads of replys and people following, other than all the PM's offering me a slice of daisy I feel I've done good in the world....hogget, lamb, beef , pork fill ya boots

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I used to live very close to there, as you might remember. Went once, nice set-up but the lamb didn't taste any better than Morrisons so never went back. :laugh:

Take a dog and go for a walk around the forest down the lane. I've possibly spent hundreds of hours in there. You can do a decent 4 mile loop from the farm shop.

Tbf Morrisons did some great lamb but you have to deal with crowds so F that ?,   i enjoy spending a few quid with local independents when I can. 

9 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

We support our local butchers shop,they look after you...when you look after them??Screenshot_20211020-114138.png.5eab27a73022bce8a2dd185fa9039977.png

Thats it we use ours most weeks n have a good laff with them i give him rabbits n when I gave up my shotguns he was just getting his ticket so gave him my cartridges etc , when I got married he did me a 4 tear pork pie cake sat on a wheel of cheese and would not take a penny for it 

• Like 6