Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

1 minute ago, Lenmcharristar said:

They your own cattle voon? And is that the beef you get outa them?

There a lad’s whose buys of us…..finishes them does around 400 head a year….

makes bad cattle good gets 1.8 to 2.1 kilos of daily live weight gain…..90 day finish deadly at it….

that’s some of the cuts he would get outa them…there finished for different specs

• Like 2

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

Just now, VOON said:

There a lad’s whose buys of us…..finishes them does around 400 head a year….

makes bad cattle good gets 1.8 to 2.1 kilos of daily live weight gain…..90 day finish deadly at it….

that’s some of the cuts he would get outa them…there finished for different specs

What does a half cow sell for? Rib eye my favourite, then the slow cook joints

13 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

What does a half cow sell for? Rib eye my favourite, then the slow cook joints

Weanlings today making 1400 

beef is around 4.00 euro a kilo at the min in the factory….

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nicepix said:

It is all Limousins out here. They are evil b'stards, even the farmers won't go near them. Taste lovely though. They tend to rear them on grass wherever possible with hay or maize silage supplements in warmer weather then milled cereals through the winter.

Over the last few years there has been a big shift to growing grass for hay and silage rather than seed crops. Historically grass did not grow between May through to October due to the hot, dry weather. Now they are getting grass yields 9 months of the year and the cattle are grazing 9 months too. 

There stone mental I lost a decent dog to them  a farm up the road as them he as to bring them in using tractors on to the cattle truck he can't trust any of them any other way 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

There stone mental I lost a decent dog to them  a farm up the road as them he as to bring them in using tractors on to the cattle truck he can't trust any of them any other way 

Yep any time we were out at a certain farm she always warned us about what field not to go into as the bull was there, they used a tractor to get him moving along too and he challenged it many a time, grumpy ba$tard of a breed

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Yep any time we were out at a certain farm she always warned us about what field not to go into as the bull was there, they used a tractor to get him moving along too and he challenged it many a time, grumpy ba$tard of a breed

It doesn't seem to be the bulls. Each spring there is a cattle fair in a nearby town and there are dozens of docile bulls tied up in a marquee. Public wander around them with no problem and I've seen farmers walking bulls down the road. Its the cows with calves that are the danger.

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

It doesn't seem to be the bulls. Each spring there is a cattle fair in a nearby town and there are dozens of docile bulls tied up in a marquee. Public wander around them with no problem and I've seen farmers walking bulls down the road. Its the cows with calves that are the danger.

This brought a memory flooding back excuse me for going off track.

I was about ten I reckon and our family ask a farmer ( Commander Young) on the banks of the river Yealm in south Devon not that far from where we lived if we could camp. A nice green bank just above the high water mark. A smashing little place that emptied right out on the low water to expose big wide area of flat mud flats, us kids love running and wading in it Lol.

Any we are all enjoying a nice day playing around and in the back ground a load of heifers are doing a lot of calling in the meadow just beyond. When all of a sudden a big white Bull came through a gate and when I say he came through he did just that bit of wood every where. My father shouted for us to climb up a small pine tree that was sort of half fallen over. Well I had never seen a white Bull before and this thing was going mental right out in the mud obviously wanted to get to the heifers but I din't know that at the time. My father hopped over a wall went to the farm to tell of what was happening. 

Next the farmer is stood in the broken gateway and shouts PRINCE COME HERE. I could not believe it the bull head went down and it came out of the mud and just walked up the lane behind him like a scolded dog.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
14 hours ago, VOON said:

Weanlings today making 1400 

beef is around 4.00 euro a kilo at the min in the factory….

There’s a lad called Clive Bright near me, he rears 100% organic grass fed beef and sells directly in a box scheme.

Its €14 a kilo no matter what cut and he is sold out all the time.

I did a farm walk there with him and it’s a cracking set up, everything aimed at building up nature, adding bio diversity, making the cattle and the land work with each other.

He has planted mixed swords, trees, created ponds.

He works a mob grazing system and moves them once or twice a day.

Its fantastic 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 15/10/2021 at 10:43, TOMO said:

which one you been using kanny....Gonalston ....or clipston near cotgave

I tried Clipstone this morning , nice little set up ? got a couple of short ribs,  they look like they are aged longer than Gonalston  stuff,  we'll see.

20211016_111804.jpg

• Like 8
53 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

I charged £80 a half for the lamb I will of just about covered costs , but no way will of covered my time 

A chicken if it was the “proper” money would cost £20 and even then you wouldn’t be earning hardly anything out of it.

£80 for half a lamb is cheap mate when you consider 1 back leg will set you back £25 

• Like 1