Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

21 hours ago, WILF said:

I’m a big believer in the fats the flavour mate…..but there’s also more to it than that imho.

I could tell you my pork from a shop bought bit of pork no problem at all, mine would be darker, have a decent layer of fat and when cooked it wouldn’t be in the least bit dry.

Same for sheep, a 4 year old sheep just fed grass will taste better than any factory lamb…..guaranteed.

As I say I can’t speak for beef because I have not reared to beef age but this shit we buy in the shops is hideous. 

Getting fed a bag a day of south American soya to get them upto weight by 30 months the latest…..not for me pal 

Heifers at 19 months…..bulls at 15 months…..melt in the mouth….

5 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Other than wagu, which beast is best for our common market for us mere mortals to buy? Means most flavour for money? Also whats your fav cuts and way you prefer to cook them?

You looking to do your own? Continentals fed right….Friesan Angus cross nice as well…but they need pushing on…

• Like 1

It is all Limousins out here. They are evil b'stards, even the farmers won't go near them. Taste lovely though. They tend to rear them on grass wherever possible with hay or maize silage supplements in warmer weather then milled cereals through the winter.

Over the last few years there has been a big shift to growing grass for hay and silage rather than seed crops. Historically grass did not grow between May through to October due to the hot, dry weather. Now they are getting grass yields 9 months of the year and the cattle are grazing 9 months too.