Beef, grain fed vs grass fed

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm going to disagree a bit with a few of you that the main barrier is money.  We in the northwest have 2 large markets nearby, Bury and Bolton. If you go down there on a Saturday afternoon you c

Where I live we still have Three proper Butchers in the High Street which is handy for selling rabbits. Also a market on Fridays and Saturday which has a good stall selling Evergreen Farm Dexter or Ru

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Hows the taste of the animal? Haveyou tried any other type of rearing wilf?

I only rear mine to Veal mate but I know there’s a place in France who’s name escapes me that sells what is widely regarded as some of the best beef you can buy and they won’t kill that animal any earlier than 4 years old and preferably older.

If I fed any top up feed to any of my animals I only feed rolled oats which is most likely also GM but hey, organic is 3 times the price so it’s a trade off but I don’t use much.

That will put fat on animals like you don’t believe but other than that, all grass for cattle, sheep and pigs and they all taste amazing. 

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, WILF said:

I only rear mine to Veal mate but I know there’s a place in France who’s name escapes me that sells what is widely regarded as some of the best beef you can buy and they won’t kill that animal any earlier than 4 years old and preferably older.

If I fed any top up feed to any of my animals I only feed rolled oats which is most likely also GM but hey, organic is 3 times the price so it’s a trade off but I don’t use much.

That will put fat on animals like you don’t believe but other than that, all grass for cattle, sheep and pigs and they all taste amazing. 

Defo the proof in the eating

• Like 1
Just now, Lenmcharristar said:

Defo the proof in the eating

I’m a big believer in the fats the flavour mate…..but there’s also more to it than that imho.

I could tell you my pork from a shop bought bit of pork no problem at all, mine would be darker, have a decent layer of fat and when cooked it wouldn’t be in the least bit dry.

Same for sheep, a 4 year old sheep just fed grass will taste better than any factory lamb…..guaranteed.

As I say I can’t speak for beef because I have not reared to beef age but this shit we buy in the shops is hideous. 

Getting fed a bag a day of south American soya to get them upto weight by 30 months the latest…..not for me pal 

• Like 2

imo it's about finishing the stock off properly which you don't see much of these day. Years ago local Butchers had a couple of small fields they would buy bullocks and finish them off putting the layers on. It also used to be proper beef cattle not the mix of bits and pieces you seem to see in fields today. Was on a farm last year and said to the farm "christ John you got them bullocks looking nice" ( South Devons). We had a long conversation about finishing off and he's right most don't seem to bother. As for grass or grain imo it's grass then grain to finish them off.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Arry said:

imo it's about finishing the stock off properly which you don't see much of these day. Years ago local Butchers had a couple of small fields they would buy bullocks and finish them off putting the layers on. It also used to be proper beef cattle not the mix of bits and pieces you seem to see in fields today. Was on a farm last year and said to the farm "christ John you got them bullocks looking nice" ( South Devons). We had a long conversation about finishing off and he's right most don't seem to bother. As for grass or grain imo it's grass then grain to finish them off.

Cheers Arry

Theres an education, 

4 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Any particular breed of cow thats produces the best eating beef?

Aberdeen Angus, Ruby Red, South Devon and Long Horn is a few can think of mate.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Arry said:

Cheers Arry

It don’t help that over here at least, most farmers don’t know how much they are getting for their beast until after it’s dead in the factory ! 
That’s a mental situation.

The last beef cattle I kept (which I sold instead of killed) cost buttons to feed and they were in excellent order when I sold them, well fleshed and great condition. 

They cost me €2 per beast, per week to feed when they were housed over winter……every farmer I told that nearly fell down dead in the floor !

Unfortunately they don’t fit into the system even though they kill out better than almost any other breed.

Most farmers hard feed bill is eye watering ! 
Beef is treated very much like chicken imho, it’s a case of get it to size as quickly as possible, the taste of the end product isn’t even a consideration.

• Like 2