its getting beyond a joke now

14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I was at the Whippet racing at the rising sun last Saturday, had a pint in the Barking Dog. Was telling them how we used to course hares on the pit heap field, it's all covered in new builds now.

My brother has the rabbiting permission around Seghill, no hares left but a few roe.

I lived in East Cramlington 45 years ago, got done coursing at New Hartley.

I know all that area well ?

Used to course hares on the slag heaps of Follingsby pit, not great  for dogs stoppers.

Edited by eastcoast

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bottom line is,...You either use your dogs, or you don't use your dogs,...? I have plenty of places that I can walk over, and hunt , 'proper'.....it is not a problem.... But, for most young

that and mobile phones  and posting photos on the internet fkd the job proper  ,,

It’s only going to get worse and it all started from the next generation driving the fields and damaging stuff.So blame them mate as they have been doing it now long enough.And if you look when the ba

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I was at the Whippet racing at the rising sun last Saturday, had a pint in the Barking Dog. Was telling them how we used to course hares on the pit heap field, it's all covered in new builds now.

My brother has the rabbiting permission around Seghill, no hares left but a few roe.

I lived in East Cramlington 45 years ago, got done coursing at New Hartley.

I know all that area well ?

Aye, the big field behind the hill, looks like they're getting ready to build on the other side of the road as well, they're after the Gosforth park fields for building now, the land's being taken at a rapid rate, the new builds at new hartley are a joke as well

31 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

The question one needs to ask is would hare coursing have been banned if it wasn't for the gambling involved and the attention it brought with it? 

Hare coursing was collateral damage to the fox hunting ban. 

The vast majority of people hadn't even heard of coursing.

Labour wanted fox hunting banned to, in their words, "give Tory toffs in red coats a bloody nose".

Nothing to do with animal welfare, simply class hatred!

Hare coursing was caught up in the general catchall of banning hunting of mammals with dogs.

Nothing to do with gambling, as I say, collateral damage, sadly.

Cheers.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Have a look at the Peter Easterby coursing trial.

The police and CPO insisted on prosecution even though those involved stuck to the meaning and spirit of the law.

The court gave him a absolute discharge.

Another day, another court and he could have had a criminal record !

Cheers

the meeting was on Tim Easterby's land.the police in that area were asked about the hunting ban by their Chief Inspector and only 2 of them supportedthe ban the rest locals had no qualms about it in fact one of the coursing clubs had a police officer as Secretary. the charges were brought about by covert footage that was nt accepted as credible everyone was discharged as the judge agreed what they where doing was as different from coursing as could be possible.

• Like 2

My only real worry about the work of running dogs being banned is that the breeding of them becomes very risky and possibly ends. Coursing greyhounds are a recent example. I've heard whispers they still exist but I've never come across any. I hope to god rabbiting with whippets isn't ever made illegal. Racing made illegal???!!! Oh feck!!! At least the good old Kennel club will breed lovely whippets and greyhounds and pedigree lurchers for £1000 a piece that will make lovely pets. Just don't ever let them off the lead. They might chase something. Anyway, if you need cheering up again, give me a shout.

4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You realise that mostly when folk refer to ‘coursing’ and ‘coursers’ they aren’t talking about daytime hare coursing ? 

Really ?

Everyone I know automatically associates coursing with day time hare coursing, or am I missing something ???

Cheers.

• Like 2