Deerhound/Greyhounds

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new dog first x only had him a few weeks 9 months old 29tts, high hopes for him but won't do nothing with him this season will just let him mature

Wheaton bull grey sire. 1st x deer grey dam  And the Bitch I kept back  ??     recently covered her with 1st cross dog 

Deer x grey bitch.  26.5 tts  11th gen 19 months  

Posted Images

I like deerhound types, when they are diluted with Bull/Wheaten/Greyhound. 

Fella I used to lamp with regularly had a pack of monster Bull/Deerhound/Greyhound types back in the day, they weren't as game as out and out Bull crosses but they were huge things that were good deer dogs. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Butler said:

Is anyone breeding these now that are 

1) From tested stock 

2)Not for sale with a covid tax on them 

As looking at what's about at the minute it seems like they are lost as a working dog.

I think as serious working dog they are done ( I hope I'm wrong). 

As a mooching dog you can have some fun with them. 

I had a 1stx she would pick her runs and just run along side deer. Sometimes she take them other times just run at the side and even in front if them.  Same with fox she would take one then leave. 

Rabbits she mopped up for fun and took a good amount of hare. 

Her litter sister was one if the best deer dogs iv seen but wouldn't tackle a fox at all.

I still like the dhxgh but I wouldn't have another for serious work

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I like deerhound types, when they are diluted with Bull/Wheaten/Greyhound. 

Fella I used to lamp with regularly had a pack of monster Bull/Deerhound/Greyhound types back in the day, they weren't as game as out and out Bull crosses but they were huge things that were good deer dogs. 

iv one bred like that here now an i totally agree about needing terrier or bull blood i love the deerhound crosses but its just not in most of them....i saw a roe cross a track in front of a ten month old deerhound greyhound last season and the dog never even made an attempt to run the thing the lurcher iv got here now was killing them at that age a bit off bull certainly puts the want back into them

• Like 5
2 hours ago, jackthelad said:

iv one bred like that here now an i totally agree about needing terrier or bull blood i love the deerhound crosses but its just not in most of them....i saw a roe cross a track in front of a ten month old deerhound greyhound last season and the dog never even made an attempt to run the thing the lurcher iv got here now was killing them at that age a bit off bull certainly puts the want back into them

The bull blood gets them going at a younger age for sure, I had a roo dog, deer/grey and he was barely interested until around 18 months but once he started he didn't look back but he was from many generations of the cross. A lot of people here have found the pure deerhounds too soft even for fox except one line of working types I've seen.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

The bull blood gets them going at a younger age for sure, I had a roo dog, deer/grey and he was barely interested until around 18 months but once he started he didn't look back but he was from many generations of the cross. A lot of people here have found the pure deerhounds too soft even for fox except one line of working types I've seen.

Me brother had a first x and he nearly wrote her off as she didn't come into her own until gone 2 Yr old but he always says she best dog he ever had in fifty Yr of keeping lurchers .just got to give certain types time to grow up .

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Me brother had a first x and he nearly wrote her off as she didn't come into her own until gone 2 Yr old but he always says she best dog he ever had in fifty Yr of keeping lurchers .just got to give certain types time to grow up .

That’s the thing with some lads who get them,they haven’t got a clue with the breed and want them world beaters at 12mths old.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Just bein nosey bit have you an your pals still got them other dogs you’s had ?  How they fairing for you now, as good as the ones before?

25 years and still going strong..??

I have a soft spot for the deerhound blood but finding one worth putting the time and effort into is proving an impossible task.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I know a lot get shot over here, they expect them to be like bull dominant pig dogs that are lugging at 6 months. If I bred a litter of that type they would only go to educated running dog people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Butler said:

25 years and still going strong..??

I have a soft spot for the deerhound blood but finding one worth putting the time and effort into is proving an impossible task.

I was out ferreting last Yr and a fella was walking a deerhound, the size of this thing it looked big as a great dane .