Remington 700 , 223 bolt jammed

Hi im fairly new to rifle shooting ..I was out for fox at night  and  after I discharged a shot  the bolt had jammed . I had to use very hard force to get it to release .. so this  continued for a few rounds   keep getting jammed ... I then  bought another different kind of factory ammunition   and  then again  after the rifle is discharged  the bolt jams... p.s  if I load the rifle and don't fire the bolt works fine .. it seems to be after anytime I have fired.. anyone know what the problem could be ... p.s  they are all factory loads 

This happened with me the cause with mine was lack of maintenance,not cleaning it properly and the throat of the chamber ended up with corrosion so that when the bullet is fired and the neck expands it was catching the rust and making the bolt hard to pull back,mines was a mannlicher 243.forgot to add I could lift the bolt up but not pull it back and had to use a piece of wood as a hammer atb wf

• Like 2
4 hours ago, wilbur foxhound said:

This happened with me the cause with mine was lack of maintenance,not cleaning it properly and the throat of the chamber ended up with corrosion so that when the bullet is fired and the neck expands it was catching the rust and making the bolt hard to pull back,mines was a mannlicher 243.forgot to add I could lift the bolt up but not pull it back and had to use a piece of wood as a hammer atb wf

Sounds very similar to my problem.  What did you do to address it.. ? And did it work 

I used wire wool on the end of an empty shell screwed onto a length of dowling  to get the proper angle,soaked with wd 40 and fixed to a cordless drill I was told I was lucky as some guns are beyond repair,do a little bit at a time,if you know anyone with a bore scope get them to look at it first,good luck,wf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Classic case of neglect. Bringing a cold gun in to the warm. Condensation forms.

Apart from that, actually firing a rifle produces water vapour. That can condense on a cold barrels internal surface. Especially  if just one shot is fired. 

In cold weather when you return home just rod the barrel or use a pull through to remove any condensed water that may of formed but wait until the condensation has dried from the exterior first.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1