Man caves/sheds

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I call the marital life boat. When things are good it's a nice thing to hang out in, when things are stormy I can escape into it. In truly terrible storms it can be towed away but I now h

I need some better pics of inside

Relaxing in my man cave right now with the pup and the house cur, enjoying a G & T ! A mans gotta have his "fortress of solitude" to get away to ! ? ! Cheers.

Posted Images

On 16/10/2021 at 08:57, Stockpot said:

If marital weather conditions were gale force rising to cyclonic, and someone wanted to build such a lifeboat, what kind of trailer/chassis would they use? is it just a flatbed or car transporter trailer? and is the structural frame metal or timber frame? Just asking for a friend. ?

I started out with a 8'x24' gneipol (?) basically a polish version of an ifor Williams flat bed. It's 3x2 timber frame clad in osb to stiffen it. If I was doing it again I'd use 2x1 as I've built alot of shepherds huts since then and it's plenty strong enough with the boards to give it structure.

• Like 3

I'm late back into property and still not there yet ,.but dream of man caves and workshops, I openly envy and appreciate friend's man sheds, and most of mine have them, from luxurious tiki bars, to Welsh pubs and my favourite which is a barn with car ramps and oddities. Long live the escapes.....

• Like 2

When buying a log burner is there some kind of set way to work out your room/shed measurements in order to determine what " KW " to go for ?....or do you just guess at it ?.......also do they need to be signed off etc or just whack it in with a " if he died he dies " approach ?

• Haha 1

There's KW formulas if you Google you need to measure rooms etc it's important as you don't want it running full bore as well as you don't want it just smouldering either. If it's private property and not rented think you can do as you please but worth getting chimney swept and maybe a smoke test.

20 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I think it has to be installed by a certified (hetas) person and swept by a pro for your home insurance to cover it doesn't it?

Quite possibly, I hadn't thought about insurance ?

I made my old man an odd shaped flue to fit through a slot in a barn , he made an insulated wall to turn a mezzanine into a room, it required the smallest of wood burners, two small logs and the room was toasty...

25 minutes ago, gnipper said:

I think it has to be installed by a certified (hetas) person and swept by a pro for your home insurance to cover it doesn't it?

Yes your right ,Sweep gives you a cleaning cert , if you don't have one it can invalidate your insurance ?