Lurcher with the lowest percentage of running dog?

I may have been tempted buy a litter of dogs that is only 3/8 Greyhound, I've been assured that both parents though are capable animals on teeth. 

Got me thinking, what's the least amount of running dog you've had in a lurcher? 

Should they actually be labelled lurchers if most of their makeup is not running dogs? 

My dad had a mongrel when he was a young un that was a good moocher, used to catch the odd hare by surprise, I'm not even sure if he had running dog in him. 

With dogs of little running dog blood it's a nice surprise when they do shock you with their feats. 

Screenshot_20211008-105252~2.png

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My bitch is working springer x lurcher....certainly less than half sighthound. The only teeth she come across are squirrels.

Half terrier, 3/8 greyhound, 1/8 collie. Cheers, D.  

i think you can still class a dog as a lurcher with only a 1/4 grey in it....i know collie john uses a reverse collie cross type....that only has 1/4 grey x 3/4 collie.....not my cup of tea but each t

Posted Images

Never had a dog with less than half for running even with half most are hard pushed an not fast dogs to be catching regular or used for running by mid life an when they slow down a little bit there rendered useless for running 

• Like 2

i think you can still class a dog as a lurcher with only a 1/4 grey in it....i know collie john uses a reverse collie cross type....that only has 1/4 grey x 3/4 collie.....not my cup of tea but each to there own.....and i saw a lot of Andys dog Don as young animal which was lurcher cross pure collie....and he was a handy animal....

personally i like to have a good chunk of running dog in a lurcher

• Like 7

I'm the opposite. The most sighthound I've ever had was half. Then again, looking back, I think it's because I secretly wanted a sheepdog was wasn't initially brave enough to do it as I'd grown up with a garden full of lurchers and terriers.

I had one of Hancock's 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhounds (there's a photo of him as a pup in "A Question of Lurchers"). I also had a 3/4 terrier 1/4 whippet...my one and only foray into terriers. I love their character, but only when they're owned by other people as I couldn't cope with a dog which said, "Erhm...no!" after previously having collie crosses which said, "Certainly sir, straight away sir, anything else sir?"

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Greb147 said:

I may have been tempted buy a litter of dogs that is only 3/8 Greyhound, I've been assured that both parents though are capable animals on teeth. 

Got me thinking, what's the least amount of running dog you've had in a lurcher? 

Should they actually be labelled lurchers if most of their makeup is not running dogs? 

My dad had a mongrel when he was a young un that was a good moocher, used to catch the odd hare by surprise, I'm not even sure if he had running dog in him. 

With dogs of little running dog blood it's a nice surprise when they do shock you with their feats. 

Screenshot_20211008-105252~2.png

I wonder if anyone ever put one of them handy street mongrels over a runner or a grey? They'd be good dogs but you don't seem to get mongrels the same now their all hairy little mops.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I've found 1/2 breds are a little to slow for me but each to their own. As to name? a lurcher is a term for a hybrid that includes sight hound so as long as there's some sight hound in it I'd recon its a lurcher.

I'd agree with that.

Similar thing with bull crosses.  A lot of people who have, say, a collie/grey x bull/grey x deer/grey x whippet/grey, will still say they have a 'bull cross'!!  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, shaaark said:

I'd agree with that.

Similar thing with bull crosses.  A lot of people who have, say, a collie/grey x bull/grey x deer/grey x whippet/grey, will still say they have a 'bull cross'!!  ?

Sounds harder than saying it’s a collie x makes you sound a better dog man doing week in week out graft hard at it ?

• Haha 2
Just now, poxon said:

Sounds harder than saying it’s a collie x makes you sound a better dog man doing week in week out graft hard at it ?

Or makes you sound full a shit ? 

hard at it September and October then the fox that a left are on the ball and scarce and once the wet comes bambi are smoking them big heavy things  ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Or makes you sound full a shit ? 

hard at it September and October then the fox that a left are on the ball and scarce and once the wet comes bambi are smoking them big heavy things  ? 

Stop baiting them you ???♂️

• Haha 1