Favorite multi purpose bullet ?

Currently reworking a old load for my AR using a Hornady 75gr BTHP. Ran out of my last favorite power so working with Ramshot TAC now. Thinking this is gonna be a good all purpose bullet for me. I've gotten groups down to 1 MOA without much development ( should get it much lower soon now I got time to do proper development ) , carries alot more energy then the 53-55gr bullet for the hogs I keep walking up on and their definitely gonna spin these coyotes when I get into calling more. Should be a decent deer round too if I can get the velocity just right.Best part is their less then $28 per 100rd ? IMG_20211008_005817763.jpg.f48faf963c6147dada618ba94329f5dc.jpgIMG_20211008_005513117.jpg.9fbb8dfbab3e6a5fafe9daf1f9a2ceb3.jpg

Wish I could seat them longer but mag length has me set down to 1.856" max ? need to get a bolt action 5.56 one of these days

IMG_20211008_005454736.jpg.9d1b92a194f77522afb334573e401e61.jpg

Anyhow got me wondering what's eveyone like for their multi purpose round ? I know it's a bit less varried over there game wise but still.

• Like 1

It’s way different over this side, your ar’s all have a lot faster twist rate than our .223’s majority over here are 1/14- 1/12 I use to use 55grn with ramshot exterminator!

75grn is a good round for nighttime foxing in .243 as it flys pretty flat for a good range.. you can only use .223 for two of the smaller breed of deer and I don’t have either species in the north of England so don’t own a .223

.204@32grn for fox’s and 6.5x55@129grn for the deer.. both work  well. 

your bench looks like mine, same press and G clamps holding everything down??

• Like 2

For do it all i .308w from fox to moose I have used Hornady 165gr sp, Norma Oryx 180gr and Nosler Accubond , moose are the what makes the limit of bullet choice. 

I wouldn`t choose a match bullet for do it all up to deer in 223r I would use a softpoint like a Norma 62gr or Sierra Game King.

A bullet I want to try are Red Moose Tarvas.

https://www.redmoose.eu/tarvas_bullets/how-the-tarvas-bullet-works

• Like 1

If I had to choose an all purpose bullet . It’s the Sierra blitz king in 70grain. I shoot fox and deer with it and it . I do however head and neck shoot my deer at very sensible ranges . 
        I’ve not had a fox get up and say that didn’t hurt either. 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, KimE said:

For do it all i .308w from fox to moose I have used Hornady 165gr sp, Norma Oryx 180gr and Nosler Accubond , moose are the what makes the limit of bullet choice. 

I wouldn`t choose a match bullet for do it all up to deer in 223r I would use a softpoint like a Norma 62gr or Sierra Game King.

A bullet I want to try are Red Moose Tarvas.

https://www.redmoose.eu/tarvas_bullets/how-the-tarvas-bullet-works

In the UK we have the Deer Act. This contains our calibre requirements:

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to deer with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission.

Funny thing is, Scottish deer fall over and die in shock at the sight of a .22-250.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Alsone said:

In the UK we have the Deer Act. This contains our calibre requirements:

WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK

An Act to consolidate certain enactments relating to deer with amendments to give effect to recommendations of the Law Commission.

Funny thing is, Scottish deer fall over and die in shock at the sight of a .22-250.

Yes I know about UK deer caliber , the Wolfdog are from Mississippi they do probably have 22cf as a minimum for deer. Its strange UK dont allow 223r for roedeer.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, KimE said:

Yes I know about UK deer caliber , the Wolfdog are from Mississippi they do probably have 22cf as a minimum for deer. Its strange UK dont allow 223r for roedeer.

They do in Scotland, something happens to the deer if they cross the border!

The problem is moronic experts, snobs and committee types having their say in the law making.

When I look back to my stalking days I can think of scores of roe that would of fallen to a 357 or 44. Even ball from a muzzleloader. 

Idiots.....

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
On 09/10/2021 at 00:22, Sausagedog said:

The problem is moronic experts, snobs and committee types having their say in the law making.

When I look back to my stalking days I can think of scores of roe that would of fallen to a 357 or 44. Even ball from a muzzleloader. 

Idiots.....

Can't tell you how many deer are dropped in these backwoods with a. 22lr ?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Can't tell you how many deer are dropped in these backwoods with a. 22lr ?

I can't tell you what I know too! ?

Years ago before experts got involved the little 22 hornet was the favourite  roe deer cartridge.

It worked just perfectly but was outlawed over night by idiots, sorry, qualified idiots!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 09/10/2021 at 06:22, Sausagedog said:

Idiots.....

In other parts of the world, higher calibre airguns are used for big game. The ultimate of these is probably the Umarex Hammer:

HARDAIRMAGAZINE.COM

For airgun bear hunting in this video, the Umarex Hammer is loaded with 400 Grain soft lead slugs from the Buffalo Arms Company.

Yep it's .50 cal. but it's also 700ft lbs (only 1/2 a .223 in energy) and only 760fps!

Bears, Buffalo, Elk, don't seem to know the difference:

14836696.jpg

I don't imagine English Deer would either but it fails to make the specs for either. Just shows how ridiculous the requirements are. 

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 2