Places you worked a lurcher

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

What unusual places you worked your lurchers .

Me uncul used to ferret for a prison yrs ago and I lamp the local crem. 

When I was a kid long time ago lol we used to hunt the local graveyards with the ferrets and whippets they were full off rabbits I did try to hunt the prison one time didn't come out for 10 years lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I caught a few squirrels with my last lurcher in Kingston Cemetery in Portsmouth (about twenty years ago) does that count? There were a few rabbits there too (by the southern entrance) but he never managed to get one of those. I'm sure I recollect somebody once telling me they had the rights to go ferreting there many years ago.?

• Like 2

Madly I ferreted a scrap metal yard next to a market garden with my blue bitch and luckily she only got a hole under her eye, we ended up with 22 rabbits. She had too many close calls that day, I didn't go back.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 2

i think a prison/mental health hospital is the most unusual....its a paying contract thats done every year.....the rabbits caused a huge amount of damage in underground ducts chewing fiber optic cables that ended up getting replaced......i cant remember the exact amount in money....but it was something like 100 grands worth....

its a huge place encircled with two of them 20 foot fences you cant climb.....then inside this its dissected in to about 20-30 smaller compounds that all have this fencing round...its mainly concreate ...but there are flower beds bushes and small bits of grass....

its amazing there are rabbits there....but over the 8 days it takes us to do it....last time we took 120 rabbits from there with the ferrets nets a lurcher and terrier 

• Like 3

a cemetery is another place that's done as well......funnily enough its the weird and unusual places that you often find yourself on with paying contracts....things like shopping centres or industrial sites  ...probably think of a few more in a mo

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i think a prison/mental health hospital is the most unusual....its a paying contract thats done every year.....the rabbits caused a huge amount of damage in underground ducts chewing fiber optic cables that ended up getting replaced......i cant remember the exact amount in money....but it was something like 100 grands worth....

its a huge place encircled with two of them 20 foot fences you cant climb.....then inside this its dissected in to about 20-30 smaller compounds that all have this fencing round...its mainly concreate ...but there are flower beds bushes and small bits of grass....

its amazing there are rabbits there....but over the 8 days it takes us to do it....last time we took 120 rabbits from there with the ferrets nets a lurcher and terrier 

Me uncul used to do Glen Parva youth offenders grounds and he'd take good bags of rabbits and get payed for it then sell the catch to butchers ,I lamp the local crem as it holds good numbers .it can get a bit creepy but like my old nsn used to say the dead not hurt you boy it's the living you got to watch out for lol . I'm moving next to old usa air base that's got good numbers of coney so hopefully get some good days ,nights out next month .

• Like 2

Another vote for graveyard had a few bunnies there, also a school playing field in a built up village i know holds a great number of rabbits for the lamp some really fast sport to be had on that field and always worth the drive. worst place ive ever worked them was an old bus depot hauls of rabbits but very risky and tight for the dogs heart in mouth every run.

atb BT

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Lamping hares on the grounds of an airport...digging foxes etc on MOD ranges in the Brecon beacons ?

A mate owns a small holding next to a airbase and plenty of hares , deer on it along with Charlie but no chance of getting perm .